Please help, I cannot decide on my own.

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:43 pm
Deb,

I've been confronted with the "put it out of its misery" dillema a few times and haven't done too well. I could never do that to a mouse for example.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:46 pm
idiotically enough - I don't think I could do it to an adult mouse. The babies were SO hurt - and so small - that I knew that anything I did was better than what was happening - and I knew I could kill them very fast. It was pure horror that let me do it - I was only about 8 - and I was sick and cried for hours afterwards. It was VERY quick, though - I was little, not stupid.

I would like to think I would cope as well now...but I am panicked by larger, hurting animals - phobic, in fact. Sigh...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:50 pm
What's really odd is that I couldn't reconcile the charitable purpose with killing the animal. I'd not have a huge problem with hunting mice but to kill a suffering one would pose more of a dillema.

Odd that.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:51 pm
Oh...yikes. Sorry, Craven.

I'm not sure what I would do -- I think I agree more with Deb, but I don't know about the sudden smashing. I couldn't do it.

I could go along with the nature is violent idea, except that I'm not sure if I could handle seeing the healthy fish eat the dying fish.

Would a sick fish live through a toilet flush?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:51 pm
Any idea why?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:54 pm
Dunno, for some reason being sadistic and killing a mouse seems easier to me than killing one for charitable motives.

I'm sure I could do it. It's just odd that it'd be easier to kill without feeling for the creature.

Maybe the charitable element involves sentimentality while the converse doesn't?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:56 pm
Can't see why they would not live through a flush - natural bodies of water get quite violent.

I have certainly only been able to kill when the adrenaline caused by the awfulness of the animal's situation has caused me to just move - their suffering leaving me no room for squeamishness.

I have no problems with euthanasia - grown up with hordes of beasties all my life - birth, death and all that. If I am responsible for a beastie, I see my job as absolutely clear and compelling. Make decisions well, and fast - no room for thinking of myself - it has always been easy, decision wise- but hard, emotionally.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:58 pm
You hate sentimentality that much?

I don't see it as sentimental - just as a toll we pay for being powerful, if we can.

I mean, if a wild animal is hurt, but nor suffering dreadfully, I tend to leave it (though I have the scars from when I didn't) but an animal we have interfered with? Pure responsibility.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:59 pm
You see euthanasia of animals as sentimental?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:16 pm
Not over-sentimental but it has more of a sentimental emotional connection than does brutality.

"Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:09 am
Hmmm - sentimentality is, almost by definition, not true emotion. Do you regard humane treatment of aminals as stemming from a sugary, pseudo-caring?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:12 am
Interesting word, sentimental:

sen?ti?men?tal

Pronunciation: (sen"tu-men'tl), [key]
?adj.
1. expressive of or appealing to sentiment, esp. the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, or nostalgia: a sentimental song.
2. pertaining to or dependent on sentiment: We kept the old photograph for purely sentimental reasons.
3. weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender: the sentimental Victorians.
4. characterized by or showing sentiment or refined feeling.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:20 am
The short answer to your question is no. Mainly because I'd never use the words pseudo-caring. :-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:24 am
Why not? Picky?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:25 am
Nah, sane.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:26 am
Less hippyish.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:28 am
Cheap shot - over-used - non?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:42 am
(I know - I know - an infinite tu quoque regress......sigh...)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:53 am
jeez anyone sadistic enough to buy mice purely for their cat to hunt and hurt would be out of my life so fast the sparks would fly! Shocked

I couldn't feed live fish to other fish either but i admit the common sense of it if they are dying anyway.

I strongly believe in quick humane euthanasia where necessary - well done dlowan - it is a tough thing and I've never had to do it luckily, (except with my elderly, terminally ill cats, when the decision had to be made for them to got to the vet for the final trip - heartbreaking that).
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 04:10 am
On his race to be the first to reach the South Pole, Amundsen killed sled dogs as the load lightened and fed them to the other dogs. That was the way the expedition was planned, not an unexpected necessity.

Was it ethical for him to sacrifice dozens of dogs for his own personal glory? How could anyone callously kill the faithful creatures who had worked so hard for them?
0 Replies