Client Shenanigans

eoe

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:19 am
I sent an invoice to my client on January 2, deliberately holding back until after the first of the year, for tax purposes. So why in the hell do I receive the check and the invoice date on the stub is Dec. 31???

I've tried to reach their accounting department and have left messages to no avail. Can't catch up with their sneaky bean counter. I'm pretty pissed off about this but, they are my biggest client and I'm not in a position to lose them. What recourse do I have here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 710 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
They probably just want to claim it for last year. If you did the work last year, they have the rights. Bummer.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 10:50 am
But do they have the right to purposely misdate my invoice?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:19 am
I don't believe the invoice date on the check stub has any significance to you, as the vendor. Their recognition of expense should match your recognition of revenue, though. They would probably defend the action by saying they are matching the expense to the period in which it was incurred. I doubt the IRS would agree, but again, I can't see any way their error would have any effect on your side of the transaction.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:27 pm
I don't intend to claim this money for 2007. But they are claiming to have paid it out. If I should be audited for not claiming the monies, don't you think that this could turn into a very big, ugly problem for my client once the dates are checked. I seriously doubt that I'm the only vendor they've played this game with and once the IRS starts checking, their books are going to appear padded. BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY ARE.

It's bad enough that they haven't sent me a 1099 in three years but I intend to call the VP of Marketing, since their Finance person is not returning my calls, and let him know what's going on and demand a 1099 as well. I'm going to play innocent, though, and treat the wrong date on the check stub as a mistake of some kind. Don't want to accuse them of anything yet. But this whole business makes my stomach churn.
0 Replies