Someone came to my gmas house with papers in his hand

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
They said he was trying to "serve me", what does that mean?

serve me with debt papers or something?

Or serving me with like a court order?

what could they be trying to serve me with? i dont know.

what happens if i dont recieve the papers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,440 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 06:13 pm
OGIONIK - Only you could know. Are you in arrears with someone to whom you owe money? Is someone suing you? Are you a witness to a crime, and need to give evidence in court? What the person is doing is attempting to serve you with a subpoena.

http://www.witnesssubpoena.com/reference.htm

http://public.findlaw.com/life_events/forms/le17_6_1.pdf
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:06 pm
i owe money.
if i dont receive the subpoena will it go through the court system still?
or do i have to receive it in person or w/e?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:07 pm
nevermind ill just look for it, theres alot of info though jesus christ...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:22 pm
wow these idiots are going to waste more money on court than i owe them, that doesnt make sense.

it has to be something else. thats just not smart.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 01:18 am
Perhaps offer them a deal hoody. can you afford something?

It'll save them money

say... 10/month or 50 cents in the dollar. It's domne all the time
Clear the debt stay out of court.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 04:08 am
If you don't take steps to clear this up it will be lurking in your life, ready to sandbag your plans.

For example, the Armed Forces won't take recruits with unsettled debts or other legal problems.

Call the courthouse and find out what is going on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:44 am
If you've been served in a lawsuit, and don't appear, your plaintiff will get a default judgement.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:46 am
Noddy24 wrote:
If you don't take steps to clear this up it will be lurking in your life, ready to sandbag your plans.

For example, the Armed Forces won't take recruits with unsettled debts or other legal problems.

Call the courthouse and find out what is going on.

there's a bonus...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 03:41 pm
lol thats hilarious. i was actually thinking of being an official american hitman but i couldnt kill people for money. stupid morals.

but this cant be over debt its like less than a grand with 3 companies.

i might sound naive but im amazingly good at budgeting. except i always get hit out of nowhere with random ass debts or something stupid. hospital visit etc

Oh well hopefully i find out what its about.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:16 pm
Basically, if someone is attempting to serve you papers, you're about to be in court on some issue, and they're attempting to give you fair notice of the filings against you, so that you can defend yourself.

You can't avoid it indefinitely by just hiding. The plaintiff is under an obligation to make a good-faith effort to contact you and deliver notice of legal action, but if the judge concludes that you're trying to frustrate the proceeding by hiding (as opposed to "you've been hiking in Australia for three months and really were out of touch" or something), they can allow the case to go forward. That would suck for you, because then you won't know what's going on until somebody shows up at your door and says "we won a judgment of $xxx,000 against you and we're taking all your stuff, here's the court order." If you don't show up for court, you pretty much lose automatically...

If you know who is trying to serve you, DO get in touch with them. If it's about debt collection, they'll almost certainly be happier with working out some sort of repayment plan rather than going to court. If they're mistaken and you don't actually owe them any money, you have to stop them before they get a default judgment - if it goes to court and you don't show up, you can no longer contest the validity of the debt.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:13 pm
Re: Someone came to my gmas house with papers in his hand
OGIONIK wrote:
They said he was trying to "serve me", what does that mean?

serve me with debt papers or something?

Or serving me with like a court order?

what could they be trying to serve me with? i dont know.

what happens if i dont recieve the papers?

Have you already forgotten THIS THREAD?
0 Replies