Virus Found

Roberta

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:51 am
My antivirus software found found four virus/threats when I was perusing the Internet last night.

After about 40 minutes of scanning everything in my computer, the software reported that it couldn't heal the viruses. So they were just sitting there.

I clicked on a few things and found the option, "Move to vault." I clicked on that. Was that the right thing to do?

Worried. This stuff gives me a stomach ache.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 8
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:57 am
Oh, Roberta! Sad

I wish I could advise, but you know .... Rolling Eyes

Best of luck in fixing the problem. I wish I could offer more than this.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:59 am
I would suggest there is nothing to worry about Roberta. This is probably spywear rather than virus. may be eevn just cookies.

yes move to vault is the right thing.

What is the name of your antivirus program.

Did it give any details? Virus names? or locations? Can you look at the vault to see whats in there? Any reports.

Sometimes your virus program will deal with these next time you restart your computer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:03 am
I don't know if this is any help or not, Roberta, but when you emailed me a while ago my virus detector, didn't detect a problem.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:15 am
Boida- Do you have AVG? If so, I found this:

Quote:
I have some files in the AVG Virus Vault. What next?Most of today's viruses (Trojan horses, I-Worms, Worms, etc) create their own files which contain nothing but a body of the virus. In such cases the only way to remove the infection is to delete the infected file. When you moved the file to the AVG Virus Vault it was deleted from its original location, coded, and then saved in a non-executable file in a hidden folder. Your PC is no longer infected then.
If you are not missing any data file and your applications are running, then you can delete these vaulted files from the AVG Virus Vault program.

http://www.grisoft.com/us.faq.num-419

In my virus scan (Norton) they call what they are doing "quarantine". It sounds like the same idea.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
Olga, this happened after we e-mailed.

Phoenix, Yes, I have avg. I just opened the vault and found a bunch of stuff there, more than the four viruses found today.

Does empty the vault mean the same thing as deleting the files? For the time being, I think I'll leave them in the vault, as long as they're safely tucked away in there. I opened your link. Have no idea what to do.

I'll call the geek who installed AVG on Monday.

As long as the viruses can't hurt anything now, I'm gonna try to get my stomach to calm down. Thanks for responding. I appreciate your efforts to help a computer idiot like me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:41 pm
Quote:
If you are not missing any data file and your applications are running, then you can delete these vaulted files from the AVG Virus Vault program.

I think that the problem is that some files are used for more than one program. If everything seems normal for the next few days, it is probably safe to delete the files in the vault.
0 Replies

owned1211

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 03:54 pm
dadpad wrote:
I would suggest there is nothing to worry about Roberta. This is probably spywear rather than virus. may be eevn just cookies.

Mmmmmm cookies...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 04:13 pm
owned1211 wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Mmmmmm cookies...

Thanks, owned, and BTW, welcome. Nothing has exploded, so I assume everything is ok. And I second the mmmmmm cookies.
0 Replies