Question about drunk/sober driving

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:41 pm
kev wrote:
A man finds out you are seeing his wife when he is at work, so he takes his .38 and shoots you in the chest, by a million to one chance the bullet passes through you without hitting anything that could cause a fatality.

If you had died the sentence would have been life in jail, but you were only off work for a month so he is charged with attempted murder which carries a much less sentence.

My question has always been this: why should he be rewarded with a much less sentence? His intention was clear, his action was clear, why should he benefit from your unbelievable good luck?

The gunman isn't "rewarded." He is sentenced for what he did (i.e. attempted murder). You want to sentence him according to his "intent," but intent is only one element of a crime. There also has to be an "act" and an "injury." Certainly, you wouldn't put the husband away for life for merely intending to kill his rival, without any overt act or injury. So why punish him for murder when the injury (i.e. the death of the victim) is absent? Murder consists of three things: intent to kill (malum in se), an act that brings it about, and the death of the victim. Change any one of those elements and you no longer have murder.

Does that mean that the offender "lucks out" when his victim does not die. Maybe. But to do otherwise would be to eliminate one of the elements traditionally relied upon to determine the nature and gravity of a crime.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:04 am
Hi joe,

I agree with you the guy should not be charged with murder, what I'm objecting to is how lenient the sentence suddenly becomes, because the victim survives.

Stateside this may not be the case, I dont know what the tariff is for attempted murder, but i've just had a look at the Parliament site and I can tell you that for the year 1992 the average time spent in jail for attempted murder was 14 months and for the last (available year) which was 1998 it was 3 years. It did peak at about 4½ years somewhere in between, and then went down again.

Incidentally, because the above scenario had the "crime of passion" element to it our shooter would have been at the lower end of jail time
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
kev wrote:
I agree with you the guy should not be charged with murder, what I'm objecting to is how lenient the sentence suddenly becomes, because the victim survives.

I really have no idea what the difference is between sentences for murder and attempted murder. I would guess that, in the US, sentences in general are longer than they are in Europe. That has a lot to do with differing views on the function of punishment and incarceration.

kev wrote:
Incidentally, because the above scenario had the "crime of passion" element to it our shooter would have been at the lower end of jail time

I'm not sure that would be the case in the States. Some states used to apply the notion of "temporary insanity" or "diminished capacity" to these types of situations (Texas being the most notorious example), but I think that is waning. I know that my home state (Illinois) does not recognize the defense of "temporary insanity" at all.
0 Replies