Can this treadmill be saved?

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 11:17 am
I have an old treadmill that I use to excercize the pup on rainy days. He LOVES his treadmill!

The other day he somehow managed to fold the belt in half so that now it is a super narrow, very think belt which doesn't run through the wheel parts smoothly.

I know I could get another treadmill, used, for next to nothing but I hate to ship this one off to the landfill since every other part of it works just fine.

I've looked at the bottom of the machine thinking there must be some kind of release mechanism so that I can loosen the belt in order to straighten it out but I can't find anything.

Also, is it possible to buy just a new belt?

Me, my dog and our landfill thank you for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,526 • Replies: 17
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
Could you cut off the folded part and even though the track would be thinner, it might still run through??
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 11:26 am
I could maybe do that but I think I would worry about his paws getting caught in the rollers.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:26 pm
Yes. Why throw out something that still could work? Even a used treadmill would cost significant money. Depending on the manufacturer and model of your 'mill, you CAN get the belt replaced. If you do it yourself, simply ask for detailed instructions from the dealer. Have you gone to the website of the manufacturer to find a local dealer? That's probably where I'd start, if I didn't know where the machine was purchased. I, too, would be worried about the pup's feet on an incomplete belt. Good hunting!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:02 am
I researched as you suggested, Miklos, and it turns out that this company is no longer in business.

Learning that I decided that I couldn't really damage the thing anymore than it was already damaged so I started taking it apart. I managed to loosen the back roller and straighten out the belt! Unfortunatly it was pretty messed up from it's folding, or it folded because it was damaged, I'm not sure which.

It looks like I can get a new belt for it but I will then have to learn how to get the front roller off too. The belt costs $80 - about the same amount that I could buy another used treadmill for.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:08 am
Yard sale and garbage day.

Once spring hits here, there will be tread mills in almost yard sale for $5 - $20. People get tired of using them as clothes racks.

I've helped friends haul a few home on garbage day as well - they've gone on to be usable til they got bored with them.

The Variety Village in hamburger's city had about 10 of them when I was there at Christmas - most expensive one for $30.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:23 am
Great idea. I'll hit some thrift shops and yard sales instead of craigslist.

Poor Diamond keeps running down to the basement, standing on the treadmill and barking at it to start. He really loves his treadmill. He has so much energy. I usually walk him about an hour a day and he still has energy to spare.

Yesterday I bought him a backpack after seeing the Dog Whisperer say that it was a good way for a dog to get a lot of bang for his walking buck. Plus, once camping and hiking season arrive it will be nice to let the pup carry his own stuff!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:29 am
(isn't the Dog Whisperer due in your town soon?)

I think the backpack idea is great - I've seen it work to good effect on high energy dogs.

A neighbour of ours had dual treadmills - one for her and one for the dog - they ran side by side every day. She's one of the people I hauled a garbage day (well night, actually) treadmill home with.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
Super idea, EhBeth! Even here in NE Maine, there is a room at the recycling part of the peninsula dump that often has used treadmills for free; your only responsibility is to cart it away and make a donation to the poor.

We also, despite--or, perhaps, because of--our remoteness, have many tag sales in peoples' yards and barns and garages. EhBeth is right: used treadmills don't bring much.

Good hunting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 11:36 am
Really? Around here, once something is deposited at a landfill, it can't be claimed or recycled by anyone. Sounds dumb, but there it is.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:59 pm
I didn't have any luck running down a cheap treadmill today but I did take the Diamond dog out for a walk in his new backpack loaded with about 3 pounds of extra weight.

He thought he was hot stuff.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 03:09 pm
Boomerang,

An inexpensive used treadmill will show up. In the meantime, the backpack is a great piece of canine exercise equipment.

I'd like to try this with our 60-pound bundle of spring-ready standard poodle (and, no, Joey does NOT have the puff-balls groomed all over his legs! His tail sports a ball at the end; that's it). Is there a formula by which one can compute the correct weight (including the weight of the backpack) for a healthy dog to carry comfortably?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 03:28 pm
That's an excellent question -- one I probably should have asked before setting out.

I wanted to start light. Diamond weighs right at 45 pounds so I didn't want to go above 10% of his body weight. Right now I just want him to get used to the pack.

Be forewarned: the pack I bought says "For dogs 40 to 90 pounds" and it is really too big for Diamond. He's only 7 months old and still has some growing to do so I cinched it up in some places to help it fit.

I LOVE standard poodles. Smart little monsters.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:07 pm
I found this:

Quote:
Most dogs can carry one forth of their body weights. However, some packing breeds such as huskies or malamutes can carry up to 30 percent of their weight. With some short training hikes you can get a better idea of your dogs' abilities.

Here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2236/choosing_the_right_backpack_for_your.html
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:21 pm
If the belt on the treadmill is folded in half just unfold it.

grasp the top fold of the belt at the most central point between the rollers. Pull out firmly. Start the machine on slow or manually turn the belt. maintain the grip until your hands are near the bottom roller. This will unfold the belt a little at a time.

I'm struggling with how to explain this in words.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:22 pm
Thanks very much for the specific information and the good link. Joey will thank you, too!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:32 pm
dadpad! You're a day late and a dollar short!

My treadmill cannot be saved. Alas, the mat was destroyed in the folding.

You're welcome Miklos! I hope Joey likes his as much as Diamond seems to.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
10:4 Boomerang,

over and out.
0 Replies