<<American Beauty>>

lust

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:00 am
I have just watched "American Beauty" and some American social issues involved in the film impress me a lot. How many of you have watched it? And does the film tell the truth about U.S?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 12
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:05 am
I don't recall. I remember liking the movie, but I don't recall much else.

I guess that means it wasn't that great of a movie if I can't remember anything about it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:39 am
I saw it, lust, but I never quite understood why the marine killed Kevin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYrgHju3d-E&feature=related
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:51 am
Because Kevin's character, Lester, made him question whether or not he was gay. Which was something he professed to hate. Your classic homophobe.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
And yes this was a fantastic movie.

A great look into the classic dysfunctional American family.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:59 am
It's a shame the enthusiasm for American Beauty has waned over the years, because it really is a fantastic film. Kevin Spacey gives one of my favorite performances of all time; to see him take his life back into his own hands and finally be at peace with himself and his family is one of the most rewarding things I've ever seen in film. There's a lot of movies out there that show women going through similar life-changing events, but men are rarely portrayed as being this righteous during a mid-life crisis. A truly special film.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:20 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Because Kevin's character, Lester, made him question whether or not he was gay. Which was something he professed to hate. Your classic homophobe.

I read the script and it indeed, as Bella Dea suggests, confirms that the murderer had a homesexual afffair while in Vietnam. Apparantly, he couldn't live with the guilt. In the movie they momentarily flash on a picture of him in Vietnam, but it's too fast to register the intent.

The script opens with Lester's daughter and her drug-dealing boyfriend on trial for the murder. In the movie the boyfriend video tapes his girlfriend asking him to murder her father, and he agrees, and that is the evidence. But after he turns off the camera they confirm that they're only joking.

In the movie, I assumed that the insane neighbor would be caught, and I guess the original script would be a little hard to take, so they softened it up a bit.

I love the movie too, and the beautiful blonde supporting actress doesn't hurt either.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:27 am
http://www.moviecritic.com.au/userimages/user624_1162353648.jpg

Mena Suvari
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:31 am
I love the film. The middle aged man adrift in a sea of job restructuring (set adrift by others) and the power of our sexual urges are the two angles I liked best. That the two would stay in a miserable marriage felt contrived to me, why wouldn't they have gotten divorced years ago like everyone else?
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:36 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
I love the film. The middle aged man adrift in a sea of job restructuring (set adrift by others) and the power of our sexual urges are the two angles I liked best. That the two would stay in a miserable marriage felt contrived to me, why wouldn't they have gotten divorced years ago like everyone else?

They're still holding on to the people they fell in love with. There are some flashbacks of the couple in their youth to show how they fell in love in the movie, plus in some scenes there's still some evidence of the way they used to feel about each other; the big scene after Spacey buys the new car and then tries to seduce Annette Benning in their living room, when Benning finds Spacey and collapses crying into his closet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
Yeah, during that scene on the couch she's all putty in his hands....the woman she used to be....until she sees the beer almost spilling on the couch.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 12:26 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I read the script and it indeed, as Bella Dea suggests, confirms that the murderer had a homesexual afffair while in Vietnam. Apparantly, he couldn't live with the guilt. In the movie they momentarily flash on a picture of him in Vietnam, but it's too fast to register the intent.

Don't you remember too when Lester is working out and he (I can't remember his name) comes over in the rain and Lester is like "come on, let's get you dry" and the dude kisses him?
0 Replies

lust

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:05 am
The marine himself used to be(or we'd better say "is always") a gay, but his displines,structure and rules kept him from it .He hated the gay so much that he unconsciously paid a lot of attention on it .That is why he beat his son so much just to make sure that his son is straight. But, in the ground level, the marine is a gay and that's why he cannot help but kiss Kevin when he thought Kevin was a gay too. But when Kevin refused him, how mortified he was! To kill Kevin means to keep his homosexual desire away. Then comes the shoot.

Yeah, Kevin Spacey, a really fantastic actor, knows exactly how a mid-aged man feels and acts in such a family.
0 Replies