Drove through a fence, need advise

kerver

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:05 am
I just drove my friends car through a farmers fence, it's 2am, i was driving home from work, and the fog was really thick, and i guess i was driving too fast, and i blew through the T-intersection where i was supposed to turn and went straight through the fence. I drove around this feild untill finally i found a place where the fence opened so i could get out. I then went back to the place where i had went through the fence and it basically went back to it's normal position. I then inspected the car and as of right now there seems to be no damages.(knock on wood) Should I confront the farmer and my friend about the incident, or should i go on like nothing happened. Please give me some advise. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:21 am
kerver- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Have you inspected the fence thoroughly? It is still standing, but has its moorings in the earth been compromised?

Ditto the car. I can't imagine going through a fence, and causing no damage, except if the fence was one of those lightweight chicken wire varieties. Was it? If so, you got off lucky.

I think that it would be wise to tell your friend about the incident. If he subsequently finds some damage that you have missed, there may be a problem for you. Besides, it's the decent thing to do. Also, check the fence again. If the fence is secure, and looks normal, I see no reason to tell the farmer. No harm, no foul.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
You've got to tell your friend, so that he can tell his insurance company. Otherwise, if the car is in a future collision, the insurance company can disclaim coverage if they find out there was a prior collision.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:14 pm
How good of a friend is it?

No but really..you should tell, and inspect during daylight hours.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:23 pm
I agree with the above comments. I hydroplaned at slow speed off of the road, through a privet/shrub type edge of a field, and the frame of the car was severely damaged. I would certainly tell your friend, the owner of the car. And inspect the damage to the field fence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:22 pm
Check the farmer's field in daylight as well. Perhaps you just drove around a pasture and perhaps you flattened rows of organic gourmet vegetables.

Local idiots cause a lot of hard feeling by snowmobiling without permission on farmer's fields. They destroy crops of winter wheat and can compact the soil to reduce yields of any crop.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:33 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies, turns out there was some damage to the car, but only about $150 worth. My friend took it very well and I'm still able to use the car. The fence is ok, no real problems there. The feild has cows in it, so there were no organic vegetables or wheat of any sort. Good thinking though. And again, thank you all very much for your advise.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 03:46 pm
Kerver--

You can sleep the sleep of the just (in bed, please) knowing your conscience is clear.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
Just thought i'd add this, even though it's kinda old now. Whatever. About 2 weeks after I drove threw the fence with my freinds car he went and side swiped a truck and ripped the bumper off. lol...severely sucks, but makes me feel better. I know i'm mean.
0 Replies