Speeding ticket cameras and a borrowed car.

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:37 pm
If you let someone drive your car and they get a camera ticket, does it matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:45 pm
Are you speaking philosophically?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
Does anything really matter?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:55 pm
The answer depends on the jurisdiction in which the speeding took place, and related to that, how aggressively the prosecution goes after camera speeders.

The jurisdiction may send out a preliminary notice of violation, in the hopes that the registered owner of the car will just pay it, or at the very least, sign an affidavit disclaiming culpability and identifying the actual driver. A busy jurisdiction may not chase down every offender, but may likely file a charging document based on the registered owner of the car, if it receives nothing in response to that initial notice. Again, this would depend on the laws of the jurisdiction. Another variable is the level of persuasion required ... i.e., is this a civil or quasi-criminal type of infraction?

Also, there may or may not be a statutory presumption that the registered owner of the car is the driver of the vehicle at the time of the photo ticket, but when it gets right down to it, the prosecution must still prove it's case. If they don't know who was driving the car, they cannot prove their case. That doesn't mean the real owner isn't going to get dragged into court to defend against a charge the prosecution will not ultimately be able to prove, however.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:01 pm
gracias amigo. i hope it gets dropped or something, i dont have any money at all.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 05:45 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
gracias amigo. i hope it gets dropped or something, i dont have any money at all.

Another thing to consider is whether the jurisdiction must serve you personally. (I.e., merely sending you something in the mail may not suffice; in which case you have no obligation to respond). You might want to check into the local laws to see whether personal service of the complaint is a requirement (which I suspect it is).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:13 pm
It depends very much on jurisdiction.
0 Replies