pirates of the caribbean

EileenM

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:46 pm
I enjoyed it! even my boyfriend enjoyed it...
what did everyone else think?
keep in mind that it is a Disney film...
Oh and Johnny Depp is hot Embarrassed just thought I mention it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,956 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:52 am
EileenM ~ apparently you missed my original claim to Johnny Depp on another thread.....

What a hottie! Ohmygoodness!

Yes, the film was excellent ~ and happens to be my favourite ride at Disney World.....

But, Captain Jack Sparrow has stolen my heart completely.

If this film is not in my Christmas stocking this year, I will be one very unhappy young lady!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:18 am
hello! YOUR claim? i think not. Johnny's mine, as soon as Vanessa Paradis is done with him.

I've been wild about him, well forever. I think Crybaby sealed it for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:20 am
http://www.johnnydeppfan.com/crybaby.jpg

http://www.johnnydeppfan.com/stills.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:17 am
Oy vey, I'm gonna puke. It all started with 21 Jump St. if I recall, and Mrs. cav has the same disease. I didn't see 'Pirates' but Mrs. cav did, and said it was a good ride while she was there, but ultimately disappointing afterwards Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:28 am
I find that I bear a striking resemblance to Johnny Depp. Does that mean the A2K gals will be feeding me grapes in the near future?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
er ....I think the chances are not VERY good, Gus - though, as your inviter, I am happy to throw them into your mouth from a distance on alternate Wednesdays, should this be a health requirement of yours...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:35 am
One of my neighbours occasionally brings me small plates of fruit. Regrettably, he is NOT Johnny Depp.

ahhhhhhhh, Johnny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:36 am
Is it THAT neighbour?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:38 am
The very one. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:51 am
Dep was great in the interview with Jay Leno in his usual Bohemian attire and kinda crazy frosted hair do. He was obviously having a ball pulling out all the stops on what we think of as a pirate and without hamming it up -- it was actually one of the most controlled performances I've seen in years. Ditton Jeffrey Rush as the most delicious villain in any film this year. The character in "Chocolat" was probably the closest to Johnny's own persona -- "a wandering minstrel am I!"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:52 am
(I just want to see him finally chew into a part that will win him the Oscar -- but just my guess is that he doesn't really care).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:55 am
Incidentally, here's his nomination and awards history (London Film Critics award for "Ed Wood"):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000136/awards

And Welcome to A2K Film Forum, Eileen!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:59 am
Omigawd - Ed Wood. I loved that one as well.

I think what I really liked about Pirates was that it was so old-fashioned. The kind of film I like to catch on one of the many movie channels I have. Sure, the special effects weren't old-fashioned, but the film really was. Swash-buckling, with just a light bit of romance. And funny! I snorted more than once.

I just finished reading Chocolat last week. I may rent the movie on Monday. Not Sunday - don't want to miss meeting Mrs. cavfancier.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:02 pm
The major criticism of the film was its length but I found it whisked by and the false endings were a parody -- like the Hoffnung Music Festival's "Overture to End All Overtures" which is a parody of the "1812
Overture" (with garden hoses and vacuum cleaners instead of cannons and bells -- absolutely hilarious). I loved the references to the actual ride at Disneyland. I think everyone had fun making this movie and it shows. This is a case where the curmudgeonly spirit of the movie critics missed the point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm
Is it still in the top ten, GrandVizier?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:19 pm
I have a few favorite Depp films. Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. (Wasn't that snot-nose DiCaprio nominated for an Oscar for that one?) I suppose I also like Tim Burton....

ehBeth, Depp is just a passing fancy for Mrs. cav, but if you bring up Viggo Mortenson on Sunday, I may just have to kill you, OR roll my eyes in a horrible manner Laughing Yes, the horrible eye rolling, and a reminder to her of the restraining order from Viggo's 'people'....heh heh....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:28 pm
I didn't know who Viggo Mortenson was until they showed the previews for other films, when I was at Pirates - so I'm unlikely to remember his name - let alone mention it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:35 pm
Yeah, 'Aragorn' of Lord of the Rings fame...and he was in a few other flicks, some of them quite good....the funniest was when she had a few friends over for an LOTR night when I was catering, and I come home to see a giant cardboard Aragorn in the apartment. Thankfully, it wasn't hers Wink I'm a good sport. I even put up her signed pic of her meeting Viggo at a book signing...however, she has suggested that there are many husbands on her LOTR boards who would be happy to see me start ihateviggo.com.....Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
Yeah, I have a married friend who is a total Viggo freak and whose husband would happily happily join that forum... she even made him grow facial hair in the Viggo style. Confused I haven't seen the movie yet (LOTR) and so dunno what the fuss is about.

Johnny, on the other hand... Shocked
0 Replies