SEVEN DEADLY SINS UPDATED

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:41 am
The Vatican has published a "new" more societally significant list of seven deadly sins. I wonder if theres an equivalent Seven HEavenly Virtues?
Quote:
Recycle or go to Hell, warns Vatican
By Malcolm Moore in Rome
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 10/03/2008

Failing to recycle plastic bags could find you spending eternity in Hell, the Vatican said after drawing up a list of seven deadly sins for our times.

Your view: What are the 'deadly sins' of our time?
The seven, which include polluting the environment, were announced by Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, a close ally of the Pope and the head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, one of the Roman Curia's main court.

Polluting the environment by failing to recycle is one of the new seven deadly sins

The "sins of yesteryear" - sloth, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, wrath and pride - have a "rather individualistic dimension", he told the Osservatore Romano, the official Vatican newspaper.

The new seven deadly, or mortal, sins are designed to make worshippers realise that their vices have an effect on others as well.

"The sins of today have a social resonance as well as an individual one," said Mgr Girotti. "In effect, it is more important than ever to pay attention to your sins."

According to Roman Catholic doctrine, mortal sins are a "grave violation of God's law" and bring about "eternal death" if unrepented by the act of confession.

They are far more serious than venial sins, which impede a soul's progress in the exercise of virtue and moral good.

Mgr Girotti said genetic modification, carrying out experiments on humans, polluting the environment, causing social injustice, causing poverty, becoming obscenely wealthy and

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,197 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:12 am
Talk about dumbing down a subject for contemplation.

So, now it's got to be spelled out to us that polluting the environment is wrong?

I can relate pollution to 6 of the "old" deadly sins, I'd have to think about how it applies to Wrath. I'm sure there's a connection.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:22 am
how can people take the bible as the literal word of God when it gets edited on such a regular basis is what I'd like to know...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:23 am
Well, the Vatican is a bit late: the Evangelical Church of Germany already said so (that is re 'sisn of today') some years ago.

And in November 2007 they said, Climate Change and manmade Global Warming were the biggest sin by humans on God's Creation.

Way to go for the Catholics!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:29 am
This is close to horseS***. While the environment is certainly a worthy subject, it might be more healing if this pope could show some interest instead of ambivalence towards other religions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:31 am
well, the category of "mortal sin" has been employed in this updated list. I think we have a good enough idea about sloth and gluttony and lust and the others .They are so last week.
I like a good sin determination for unapproved cloning. This will, no doubt, invigorate a whole series of Papal councils to fully determine, define, and mete out strictures ofr these new top 7.

Im so proud , usually the CAtholic Church is slow as a glacier.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
Hey Gala, you dont have to follow these new rules. Theyre meant for Catholics, all you non-Catholics are going strait into the caldera anyway.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:46 am
rot in hell with the protestants or be buggered for all eternity by priests.... there's a choice...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:20 am
Whoops, well, seeing I forgot I'm not a Catholic it's straight to hell for me. Wait a minute, my religion doesn't believe in hell. My religion believes in high level kvetching about day-to-day life, but there is no heaven or hell-- just 6 feet under and lots of turning over in the grave.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
oh, so yer onea them heathen JEWWS. Ya know theres a good Jews fer Jeezus club near you. You can still be saved, and then ya can join up with the CAtholics, the only true religion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:48 am
If only I had known, I never would've spoken to Gala.

From now on, I'm going to avoid the near occassion of sin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:49 am
Re: SEVEN DEADLY SINS UPDATED
farmerman wrote:
I wonder if theres an equivalent Seven HEavenly Virtues?

There are actually two sets of "virtues" recognized by the early church.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues are: prudence, temperance, courage, justice (these are the cardinal virtues), love, hope and faith (and these last three are the "theological virtues").

Then there are the "Contrary Virtues," which are alleged to protect one against the temptation to the seven deadly sins: humility against pride, kindness against envy, abstinence against gluttony, chastity against lust, patience against anger, liberality against greed, and diligence against sloth.

An alternative list of the Seven Heavenly Virtues replaces courage with fortitude, and love with charity: faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance and prudence.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:55 am
Re: SEVEN DEADLY SINS UPDATED
Setanta wrote:
farmerman wrote:
I wonder if theres an equivalent Seven HEavenly Virtues?

There are actually two sets of "virtues" recognized by the early church.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues are: prudence, temperance, courage, justice (these are the cardinal virtues), love, hope and faith (and these last three are the "theological virtues").

Then there are the "Contrary Virtues," which are alleged to protect one against the temptation to the seven deadly sins: humility against pride, kindness against envy, abstinence against gluttony, chastity against lust, patience against anger, liberality against greed, and diligence against sloth.

An alternative list of the Seven Heavenly Virtues replaces courage with fortitude, and love with charity: faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance and prudence.

Funny how the Catholic Church (as well as other organized religions) have long histories of failing to live up to their Seven Heavenly Virtues.
We all know of the numerous examples so I won't go into them here.

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:21 am
I was looking for an equivalent Seven Heavenly Virtues to the updated Seven Deadly Sins.

Instead of temperance, wed have, say total abstinence and rehab.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:29 am
farmerman wrote:
oh, so yer onea them heathen JEWWS. Ya know theres a good Jews fer Jeezus club near you. You can still be saved, and then ya can join up with the CAtholics, the only true religion.

Lissen up, I lived in the Midwest for a little while and thought I was going to end my life prematurely because there were so many Christians. Plus, the food in the market, oops, grocery prepared section was always some version of Pink-- ham, spam, 3 bean salad with a pink sauce, something's not right with you people.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:39 am
"YOU PEOPLE"--youre an anti-Cathlite! Now were gettin somewhere.
I can cast devils outta you, no problems. Its my blessed backhand.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:40 am
Chai wrote:
If only I had known, I never would've spoken to Gala.

From now on, I'm going to avoid the near occassion of sin.

Near occasion of sin my rotund posterior.

Does near occasion of sin mean you were unaware and therefore you've sort of sinned?

But you know what? You can reverse the sin by trying to convert me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:42 am
GALA
Quote:
always some version of Pink-- ham, spam, 3 bean salad with a pink sauce, something's not right with you people.

Musnt forget green. We always serve the Most Holy Lime Jello mold chocked full of fruit and veggies, and blessed by the ARchbishop.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:45 am
farmerman wrote:
GALA
Quote:
always some version of Pink-- ham, spam, 3 bean salad with a pink sauce, something's not right with you people.

Musnt forget green. We always serve the Most Holy Lime Jello mold chocked full of fruit and veggies, and blessed by the ARchbishop.

I remember! Lot's of Jell-O in those cases-- usually some version of red but green too.

And, truly, the O-fficial halo...The Krispy Kreme Donut.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:47 am
From this perspective, the most comical and subject to ridicule are the Jews for Jesus.

Although Jehovah's Witness' are right up there too.
0 Replies