John Howard & his American Enterprise Institute speech.

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:03 am
Tigershark wrote:
I can't believe you guys had such an imbecile as PM for that long.

Biggest bumlicker to the Whitehouse, ever.

No argument here. We couldn't believe it either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
hingehead wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

Unfortunately, he was a very clever politically imbecile.......until the last couple of years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:09 am
dlowan wrote:
hingehead wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

Unfortunately, he was a very clever politically imbecile.......until the last couple of years.

He also had the bulk of the political media bewitched (or something? Confused ) .... He had a very easy ride while he did some truly evil things ... for years & years. Got away with heaps!

(Actually, I suspect the journos were scared about writing the truth.)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:30 am
msolga wrote:
He had a very easy ride while he did some truly evil things ... for years & years. Got away with heaps!

Not David Marr. What a guy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:33 am
hingehead wrote:
msolga wrote:
He had a very easy ride while he did some truly evil things ... for years & years. Got away with heaps!

Not David Marr. What a guy.

Yeah! Very Happy

He & a (very) few others. And the cartoonists! Let's give the cartoonists their due credit!

Very brave of them, in the circumstances!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:31 am
Why scared, do you think, if they were? Why brave?

After all, JH was just another right wing pollie, lord knows we've had enough of them!!!!

What got to me was he seemed made of bloodly teflon!!!

Children overboard, the Iraq intelligence lies, the horrendous dock stuff....it all just seemed to keep on keeping on, with no real backlash.

Was it he who brought in laws where individual unionists could be sued for losses, or was that an SA right thing???? (Most union officials here seemed to have personal law cases just hanging over them....they didn't actually sue.....just threatened to). That was a powewrful deterrent to unions supporting each other....

Actually, I think that WAS federal....cos I know Joan Kirner was hounded through the courts re her role in demonstrating against that awful dock stuff.

All of these things were openly reported....people just didn't seem to react.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:52 am
dlowan wrote:

I have often asked myself that very same question, Deb. It's perplexed & vexed me a lot.

I mean, what possible harm could Howard & co. do to any journalist who dared to tell it as it actually was?

And were the journalists cowardly, or was it editorial policy that gagged them & had them constantly singing Howard's praises?

Imagine if most of them had consistently written without fear or favour during the period of Howard's worst excesses. Would Howard have lasted as long as he did? Would he have gotten away with as much as he did? Would his own party have put up with him for as long as it did?

It was quite amazing, how these very same journalists changed their tune so radically & suddenly rediscovered their consciences once it was quite clear that Howard was definitely on the skids.

Whatever the reasons, it was a shameful period in political journalism in this country, in my opinion.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:44 pm
Quote:
We had Menzies grovelling to the Queen of England .... depressed when he had to return to his own country from "the mother country" ... Embarassed

"Pig Iron Bob" was little johnny's hero ....
One was infatuated with the queen, the other with the US president.
Both suffered clouded judgment because of these obsessions.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:27 pm
dlowan wrote:

Because the Bush/Blair/Howard triumvirate were officially, publicly, endorsed by Rupert Murdoch. When 90% of the print media outlets are owned by one man would you, as a print journalist, risk defecating in your own nest? And, again as a print journalist, you know that Murdoch and Howard are in bed and that the media ownership laws are not going to get any tighter, in fact you can forget about your career in tv journalism too thanks to the changes in cross media ownership. And the only outlet for 'real' TV journalism is the ABC and the Howard govt spent the best part of a decade knocking the stuffing out of it by defining 'balance', slashing funding, and putting Murdoch hacks on the board.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:05 am
Yep, totally in agreement, hinge.

The folk I was most perplexed about were those in Fairfax press... they had a bit more freedom than the folk at the Australian. And I got SO tired of Michelle & co writing about how clever howard was! Really case of "Wow! Look what he's gotten away with now!" I wondered if some secretly admired his incredible nerve!

I also often wondered how Leake (The Australian's cartoonist) felt. Now he was truly brave!

And as for that "enquiry" into the ABC's "impartiality". Despicable! Who was the Howard minister who led the charge on that one? I've forgotten his name. He went on to some cushy job in Ireland, or England or somewhere. His reward for that disgusting episode in stand-over tactics.

We should never forget these assaults on freedom of speech. It could happen again, all to easily.
0 Replies