Why do they strive for perfection??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,978 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:17 pm
It's more challenging than striving for imperfection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:19 pm
Is it just adults?

I arguably strove for perfection more as a kid than now. I think it's more a personality type thing than an age thing.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:35 pm
I dont strive for perfection. I find adults do it alot more.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:37 pm
Do you mean that they strive for perfection in you -- they have high expectations -- or that they strive for perfection for themselves?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:51 pm
In themselves
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:53 pm
hmmmm, i guess i'm more aware of my own imperfections than i was 30 years ago, but i'm not sure i'm striving any more than i used. I was a mighty striver in my teens and early 20's. I do have a greater understanding of the distance there is between me and perfection, which could factor in to this.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:25 pm
I think its a personality type and time of life issue. I used to be crazy with perfection, now Im just happy with the little things.
I think not only have I grown to realize my own limitations, but those of others so, I really dont think adults in general strive for perfection.
Maybe its order rather than perfection you're thinking on?
As adults I could see where someone younger would wonder about it.
We are set in our ways and know that certain things need to be done at certain times, or in a certain way to lessen the chaos levels....so, theres order-a method to our madness perhaps. Its not perfect but, its orderly. And its just about learning lessons on life and going from there with what works best for the situation.
Yeah, at times we've got to lighten up a bit, and some do that more, or more regularly than others. Which goes back to personality types and place in life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:32 pm
adults are curious creatures, it takes about 12 years of education and authority to turn children with bliss into creatures intent on self-destruction.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:51 pm
Actually, I've become more accepting of my failures.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:17 pm
Hmm - you have made me think.

I think I still strive, in some areas - and less so in others. I know more that I will never get there.

I accept more easily that I am highly anxious and easily stressed by some things.

I acept less the limits (very major!) to my compassion.

I get more irked by my defensiveness.

I am less annoyed by the limits of my intellect.

Swings and roundabouts?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 12:09 am
I must be past adulthood now.

Everything I see is perfect just the way it is,
and I don't feel like striving for no reason.

Why work to change things that constantly change already? Why be a tool to someone else's anxiety? I dunno. Appreciating what we have -- gets me more excited than anxious perfection.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 12:17 am
Oh, alright, if you guys are determined to turn this into a serious thread...

Dys is right. We do have the bliss stomped out of us by the time we're 18 or so. It took me at least another 18 years to rediscover it. During those second 18 years, I was downright strident. I was trying much too hard. I am much more relaxed now. One of the gifts of middle age, I think. I don't expect perfection from myself or anyone else. It's enough just to get through what you have to get through and remain more or less intact. Bliss is the icing on the cake, and it doesn't always come from accomplishment...sometimes it's learning to appreciate the imperfections.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 03:11 am
Hmmm - I think I have been a more blissful adult than child or young person.

I still get many of the same kicks out of simple things as I ever did as a kid, and I am more in control and less at the mercy of other people than a kid is.

I think adults often romanticise the joys of childhood - and adolescence - now, young adulthood, things started to get way better!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:19 am
I was NEVER a perfectionist. It is just not part of my personality. I know a lot of people who are, and find that often perfection leaves them perpetually frustrated. Do you know what is the problem with perfection? It is absolutely unattainable. Nothing is perfect. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Remember the old riddle about if you need to walk a mile, and go half the distance every day? The riddle was to determine how long it would take you to reach your goal. The answer was, "never", because no matter how near your goal, you were only permitted to go halfway. And so it is with perfection. It is the brass ring that is tantalizingly near, but always out of reach.

I am much more comfortable with doing a good job, and leave it at that!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:24 am
Phoenix, just a thought...isn't accepting that there is always room for improvement striving for perfection? Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:39 am
cav- I hear you, but I think that in a perfectionist, the motivation is different. I know that there is ALWAYS room for improvement, but I set limits on myself. I reach a point where I am satisfied with what I have done, and don't feel the need to do any more. A perfectionist would always look to fine tune, and never really be satisfied with what he has accomplished!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:41 am
True enough.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:37 am
Besides, perfectionists are never satisfied...always unhappy. I have learned to stay away from unhappy people.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:59 am
you are your biggest critiqe, perfectionists are a pain but no1 is really ever happy with what they have humans are grety.
0 Replies