Positive effects of pessimism

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 06:23 pm
I am a pessimist, and well, i'm really sick of people that can't be open minded about it. Pessimism is not a bad thing at all. Sure a pessimistic person such as myself expects the worst possible outcome of situations, but subconsciously i'm taking steps to avoid the worst. At least when something goes wrong i'm not upset about it, it was expected. Right? On the other hand though, if a situation turns out good in the end i'm left with a wonderful surprised feeling. More people should look into this and understand the outcome of it. What are your thoughts, do you believe pessimism could be just another way of positive thinking?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,786 • Replies: 61
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:07 pm
I would add a comment here, but i'm afraid someone might disagree Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:19 pm
Are you wealthy, successful, or satisfied with life? Being pessimistic seems counter-productive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:23 pm
well, I have this theory, the ossobuco theory of the inverse ratio of expectations to fulfillment. Thus, if you expect things to work out, they certainly won't. If you expect deep trouble, all will be well. This takes some fine tuning in daily life.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:51 pm
husker,
Are you wealthy, successful, or satisfied with your life? As for myself, I am not wealthy, nor am I poor, yes i am successful, and yes I am as happy with life as i should be. Maybe you need to look deeper into pessimism, because obviously it's not counter-productive. Just because I'm pessimistic doesn't mean i don't get what i want out of life, i just get it in a different way then you perhaps do.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:14 am
I totally agree with "stand up for pessimism", and "ossobuco". Your on the right track!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:30 am
I was brought up by parents who imbued me with the message, "Chicken Little, the sky is falling". As such, I always imagined worst case scenarios, and then was pleased when the world did not fall in on me.

As I matured, I found though, that this way of thinking is counterproductive, wastes time and emotional energy, and serves no useful purpose. I have done a 180, and now see the glass as "half full", instead of "half empty" as before. I must admit though, that if I don't catch myself, I STILL have a slight tendency to expect the worst!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:02 am
Quote:
Mayo Clinic Study: Optimists Report Higher Quality of Life
A Mayo Clinic study indicates that optimists report a higher level of physical and mental functioning than their pessimist counterparts.

"How you perceive what goes on around you and how you interpret it may have an impact on your longevity, and it could affect the quality of your later years," says Toshihiko Maruta, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology in Rochester, Minn., and the principal author of the study.

Patients originally assessed in the 1960s with a personality test completed a follow-up self-assessment of their health status 30 years later. In the health survey, pessimists reported poorer physical and mental functioning. The results come two years after another Mayo Clinic study of the data found that optimists live longer than pessimists do.

Researchers looked at the health survey results reported by 447 patients during the 1990s. This group had originally completed the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) between 1962 and 1965. The MMPI is an assessment that helps researchers classify personality traits.

Using the MMPI scale of optimism and pessimism, Maruta and his colleagues classified 101 as optimistic, 272 as mixed, and 74 as pessimistic.

The researchers found that pessimists scored below optimists on quality-of-life assessments. Participants also scored lower than the national average on five of the eight scales that were measured: physical functioning, physical role limitations, bodily pain, general health perception, vitality, social functioning, emotional role limitations, and mental health.

"Our study provides documentation for beliefs commonly held by patients and health-care practitioners about the importance of optimistic attitudes," Maruta says.
The study appears in the August 2002 issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:09 am
Quote:
In his recent bestseller Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman described the profoundly negative effects that habitually pessimistic attitudes can have in the workplace. For example, he points to one study that found that people who had chronic feelings of pessimism, anxiety and hostility had double the risk for asthma, ulcers, heart disease, etc. Pessimism seems to be as toxic as smoking or high cholesterol is for heart disease.

He also discusses two studies by psychologist Martin Seligman, who found that optimistic sales people sold anywhere from 37% to 57% more life insurance than their more pessimistic colleagues. So pessimism can have a negative effect on our financial health as well.

SOLUTION: In his book Learned Optimism, Seligman reported that optimism can be taught; we don't have to be "born" pessimists. He uses a technique called cognitive restructuring that involves identifying the kinds of negative habitual thoughts we have and choosing to change them. For example, you might think "I'll never be good enough" after a sales prospect says "no" to you. This kind of negative thought will cause you to feel depressed. You can challenge the negative thought by asking, "How do I know that I'll never be good enough?" Once you realize that there is no rational basis for this thought, then you can choose to replace it with the more optimistic thought, "I'll do better next time." Focusing on that new thought will change your negative mood into a more positive one.
Michael H. Smith, Ph.D.
Oakland, CA 94605
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
and now see the glass as "half full", instead of "half empty" as before.

Perhaps stand-up means that a pessimistic person would notice the glass was half-empty and take steps to re-fill it SOONER than an optimist who might feel that half-full was enough, and end-up running out of water at a bad time?

Personally, I'm an internal optimist & external pessimist: I always hope for the best but prepare for the worst...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:54 am
I was going to write that pessimism leads to apathy, but what's the point?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:38 am
I used to subscribe to that theory, being surprised rather than disappointed, but as Phoenix wrote, it led to a generally miserable outlook and I just got tired of being miserable so much of the time. I wasn't boo-hoo miserable. Just the soft, sour hum of negativity in just about everything I did. I also tried to get involved with a guy who was more comfortable being sad than happy and that got on my last nerve. It took his constant misery to open my eyes to my own and I figured, if I'm sick of him, who's sick of me?
I'm still pretty cynical and I'm not the most trusting person but I know that most of the time things turn out well, sometimes they turn out great and kharma is very real. Being a positive person creates and draws positive things to you and the same goes for negative people.
Seen it a thousand times. Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 12:24 pm
I tend toward the pessimistic, but I view it as realism.

I know a woman, single and no longer a kid, who has visualized her wedding for a long time. She wasn't, however, dating anyone, at least not the last time I checked. I consider that extremely optimistic, but I wonder how helpful it is to her in achieving happiness...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly" (Woody Allen)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
Or, as Samuel Beckett once advised a young writer:

Despair early, and don't look back.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:19 pm
LOL! I love this thread!

I read some research on pessimism recently - and have the fruits of other readings glimmering in the back of my brain - I won't be able to give all you pedantic pessimists cites, though - so...well, so there!

Pessimists judge situations more accurately than optimists. It may not do them any good, but they apparently do.

It is likely that evolution has, at least until recently, naturally selected for anxious, pessimistic, humans - the sort that were always worrying about sabre-toothed tigers, and where the next mammoth was coming from, and hence alert and primed to act fast.

I, along with a big chunk of anxious humans from the dawn of our species, am with Ossobucco and her fear of hubris and Attracting The Evil Eye. Think of all the rituals around this that there have been.

I KNOW if I expect the worst, it is less likely to happen - but then, will They know that my pessimism is a ruse, and I am hubristically thinking I can fool Them?...oh dear.....oh my....how distraught I must genuinely make my self to make things come out right!

I also KNOW that, if I stupidly say how well things are going, or allow unadulterated happiness to creep in for long, I am doomed.

So - all you damned happy little grasshoppers - know you that we gloomy, neurotic, harried ants are keeping the world safe for you.

However, given that I shall die - and misfortune and fortune come willy nilly - I would rather be an optimist! I should be wrong, but happier!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:02 pm
I like to consider outcomes. It is a little late to change my ways in that. But I do exult in things going well, and I admit to seeing a fine knitting happen, a coherence, when things develop well. I just don't go sunnily along expecting it, even though I generally act as if I do. I am not a routine frowner.
Just an experienced human.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:07 pm
I think I fall somewhere in the middle, but I suffer from some general sense of inertia. It's a family thing. So, it's kind of hard to be anything to the extreme.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:08 pm
I'm bloody sick of pessimists, always moping about....get a life, freaks.... what's the point, really, someone's just going to screw you anyway. Try irony on for a change Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:11 pm
Incidentally, like Beckett's protege, I despaired early, and learned much...and never looked back Wink
0 Replies