Eroica and Beethoven

bilko

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:31 am
Can anyone help with this please-
Which superstar in terms of film roles played has an obvious connection with Beethoven's 3rd symphony.

I can see that either Eroica or Napoleon relate to th symphony but thats as far as I get. I know that Malcolm MacDowell listened to Beethoven in
Clockwork Orange. I assume that Beethoven the Dog movies have no
connection. The word Roles is in the plural so perhaps a series is involved. Just going round in circles at the moment - what am I missing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 768 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:45 am
Bump.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
Quote:
The Eroica Symphony and Pop Culture
The Eroica-Napoleon link is recognized even today. Peter Conrad discussed Alfred Hitchcock's subconscious use of the symphony in his movie Psycho:

"In Hitchcock's films, the most innocuous object can rear up threateningly. What could possibly be sinister about the record of Beethoven's Eroica, which Vera Miles finds on a gramophone turntable during her investigation of the Bates house? At the age of 13, I had no idea - though I felt an unmistakable chill when the camera peered into the gaping box to read the label of the silent disc. Now I think I know the answer. The symphony summarizes [sic] one abiding undercurrent of Hitchcock's work. It is about Napoleon, a man who - like many of Hitchcock's psychopaths - set himself up as a god, and it includes a funeral march for the toppled idol. It first rejoices in the hero's freedom from moral inhibitions, then recoils in dismay. Truffaut, detecting unease beneath the joviality of The Trouble with Harry, suggested that Hitchcock's films were afflicted by the mood Blaise Pascal analyzed [sic] - "the sadness of a world deprived of God".

http://classicalmusic.about.com/od/symphonies/a/aaeroica.htm

I don't know if this is what you want, but it is interesting, nevertheless.
0 Replies