Suicidal backup dog

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:04 pm
Ernie, our catahoula( hes now the official backup dog), will eat anything. Today he demosnstarted by woofing down about 5 pounds of birdseed (special treat with nuts and raisins)

Were eating supper and Ernie lays down next to his dish and proceeds to blow big chunks. And he keeps it going. He must have thrown up 5 times, making huge cowplop sized piles of niger seed, millet, sunflower, corn chunks and really swollen raisins and nuts. We quit eating supper loaded him in the back of the truck and drug his ass to the vet , who also came from home herself. She gave Ernie a pill of apomorphine (?) need help on this one and put it in his eye. All it seemed to do was to make him throw up even more. He finally stopped and the dog looks bloody exhausted. Hounds get this really stupid look on their faces cause they know that something was made wrong and they probably caused it.

Hes home , we tied him up in our new porch room. He fell asleep and we hope not to have to pursue any more heroic efforts . I understand that the combination of nuts and raisins can be a gastric no-no for dogs.
I guess we will drive the 20 miles for a pizza.

ANybody else have a suicidal pet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 28
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:12 pm
My boxer ate a 12 ounce box of valentine chocolates years ago. There's so little chocolate in those boxes that she was really dealing with an overdose of sugar more than anything else: diarrhea. Once, my cat (one long gone) tried to eat a used condom. She would have choked, but I pulled it out (shllllllupt).
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:21 pm
I had an african cichlid (Lamprologus ocellatus) that would jump,up and out of the tank, four to seven inches, almost every time I fed them. I always told him, "one day, your going to miss on the landing, and I won't be here." I buried him next to the lavender.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:23 pm
Sandpaw, a Venice shepherd, ate much of an entire lid of m'juana. Boy, was my gallery partner's boyfriend pissed. I wasn't around at the time. I think gallery partner called the vet, but I don't remember the details now. Sandpaw slept it off....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:24 pm
Im gonna have to let BPB or Gus post the obvious on this one LILK
Quote:
Once, my cat (one long gone) tried to eat a used condom. She would have choked, but I pulled it out (shllllllupt).

Now as far as chocolate, yeah, it can kill. Everybody in the farmerclan pretty much dislikes chocolate except for Hersheys. so we never have to worry about that.
When I was detoxing many years ago, I had two prescriptions for Valium 10 mikes. I dropped one and our (Then) dog was on it, he slept for like 12 hours straight and woke up and hadda pee but, for some reason couldnt pee for quite a while.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:26 pm
A friend once kept a blue lobster in a fish tank. Every night he would hear it pattering across the floor and have get out of bed to put it back in the water. He eventually traded it for something less troublesome.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:33 pm
Back when I had a saltwater tank I had a puffer fish that would jump out of the tank if I didn't close the lid. You would think that after the first time some kind of lesson would have been learned.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:36 pm
When I was a kid I had a pet crow who hung itself. My dad made me tether him when I went to school cause hed steal **** from my moms jewelry case.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:44 pm
I had a yellow lab many years ago who ate the cable TV remote control while I was at work.

I came home and tried to turn on the cable box and couldn't find the remote for the life of me. After about 30 minutes of searching the living room I found a small piece of the circuit board from inside the remote.

The entire plastic housing was gone (about the size of a large box of wooden matches), the rest of the circuit card from inside was gone and the 9v battery was gone.

I just looked at the dog and knew she was going to be having problems in the morning. The plastic casing and circuit card did eventally come out. I found them while mowing the lawn. I never did find any trace of the battery though.

I don't know how she managed it without cutting her entire digestive tract to shreds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:48 pm
lucky pets no? they have this thing that every item in the world is an object that must be interviewed by eating it
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:08 pm
I had a yellow lab that ate the phone cradle off the wall and then proceeded to eat through the drywall and into the studs. this one also ate.... and I mean ate part of my sectional sofa. that was the last time i ever did cocaine. i got so mad I almost had a heart attack. That was 21 years ago.

This same dog ran in front of a car and got totally run over. tire tread marks on her body.

she lived a long time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:15 pm
I like that for a new phrase for when Im tired.

"You know, Im like totally run over"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:16 pm
you need the tread marks right up the middle for dramatic effect. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:21 pm
Even before I was born, my parents' english setter ate socks..

Name was Sally. They had to put her down, apparently, at least to my child mind, from sock eating. I heard about it, off and on. Have a nice photo..
not of the sock eating, but of my father and the dog. One of these days I'll hook up the scanner. (Yes, yes, I'm aware english setters are the dumbest dogs in the world.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
next to Irish Setters their geniuses.

Bear, I posted this thread even before I saw yours. Im not like that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:22 am
no worries friend...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:56 am
My first cat ate about a yard and a half of string. A vet visit. X-rays. I was instructed to keep on eye on waste. Stringy for a while. Then ok. That could have been fatal.

She also once jumped into the refrigerator for a closer look at what was in there. I didn't look in. I just shut the door and left the kitchen. Where's Miranda? Full house search. No cat. I heard a noise in the kitchen. Opened the frig door. There she was. Fine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:22 am
Irish setters are momentarily brilliant. This is short term.

This is short term.

This is short term.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:21 am
You have a dog called ....a cat .....that eats..... birdseed

So is this backup... a dog, cat or bird.

I'm confused.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:04 am
Ernie is a catahoula leopard dog, also known as a Lousiana Hog Dog. Thety are tenacious at herding (and a bit too rough, so we send in the Border Collie to do the heavy lifting on sheep herding and Ernie will only be used when we move cows around)CATAHOULA DOG.

Scroll down the page, there are two catahoulas on the page. Very high spirited and a little loony, but great protection and big animal drivers.

They are more hound looking than a NEw Zealand Stock Dog. (And much handsomer Very Happy )
0 Replies