What are absolutes?

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:28 pm
I just made it up, I thought it was cute.......

Any-who there are two types of constants so say me & Wiki:
Quote:
A physical constant is a physical quantity that is generally believed to be both universal in nature and constant in time. It can be contrasted with a mathematical constant, which is a fixed numerical value but does not directly involve any physical measurement.
Now....as to whether physical constants are dependent on the overall as you assert is an open question. For example would Avogadro's number be different if the universe was different (Avogadro's Number is the number of atoms, molecules, etc. in a gram mole of a chemical substance)? Perhaps, if there is a cyclical nature to the universe, Avogadro's Number might be different next time 'round.

However........certain mathematical constants are absolute even in an alternate universe. Also, the tensile strength (as I have discussed it above), is an absolute within this universe.

Example of a mathematical constant: the next prime number after 5 is 7. Ain't no way even a cyclic nature to the universe is gonna mess that up!

BTW, the speed of light has been reduced to 6 miles per second in 2004,
witness Slow light

But........Avogadro's Number? That's just not going to happen in this universe, let alone any other number but 7 as the next prime after 5 in any universe!
0 Replies