Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,885 • Replies: 19
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 04:37 pm
decaying organic matter in the soil
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 12:02 am
I read somewhere that earthworms are the badger's main meal. (Just throwing that out as a sidenote.)
0 Replies

jclbiz

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:49 pm
Worms
Well, I just bought some red wigglers (manure worms) eincia???? Anyway I heard that MacD' will buy all you can produce and with the economy an all?? Sending their coffee grounds back to the big corp, only with a higher protein content. Well beef is getting speedy, right?

Very Happy
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:14 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I read somewhere that earthworms are the badger's main meal. (Just throwing that out as a sidenote.)

So when getting in a car with badger you should make sure you don't have a pocket full of earthworms?

Rap
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:12 pm
diet of night crawlers
look it up on google. Decayed organic matter.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:16 pm
Right, missconduct. Which isn't helping our northern hardwood forests a bit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:57 pm
Whats the use, In another 7.5 Billion years itll be all over anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:42 pm
Whaat!?

Oh. Phew. For a minute I thought you said 7.5 Million years
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:59 pm
Earthworm are alien invaders and they are not good for the native environment:

Quote:
The first earthworms probably arrived with soils and plants brought from Europe. Ships traveling to North America used rocks and soil as ballast which they dumped on shore as they adjusted the ballast weight of the ship. During the late 1800's and early 1900's many European settlers imported European plants that likely had earthworms or earthworm cocoons (egg cases) in their soils. More recently, the widespread use of earthworms as fishing bait has spread them to more remote areas of the state. All common bait worms are non-native species, including those sold as "night crawlers," "Canadian crawlers," "leaf worms," or "angle worms."...

...hardwood forests developed in the absence of earthworms. Without worms, fallen leaves decompose slowly, creating a spongy layer of organic "duff." This duff layer is the natural growing environment for native woodland wildflowers. It also provides habitat for ground-dwelling animals and helps prevent soil erosion.

Invading earthworms eat the leaves that create the duff layer and are capable of eliminating it completely. Big trees survive, but many young seedlings perish, along with many ferns and wildflowers. Some species return after the initial invasion, but others disappear. In areas heavily infested by earthworms, soil erosion and leaching of nutrients may reduce the productivity of forests and ultimately degrade fish habitat.

Source
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:29 pm
Yep. That's what I meant. And, did you know that destroying that duff destroys salamander habitat? S'truth. Sort of poetic if you've got the right frame of mind, though. Salamanders have incorporated earthworms as an important part of their diet.
0 Replies

jclbiz

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:38 pm
Worms
Whoa, you mean worms are NOT endemic to N.A.?? And they are not beneficial to our system? Without decomposition could we survive? Confused

jclbiz
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:39 pm
nasty little buggers that stink to high heaven when we get a worm floater....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:40 am
Re: Worms
jclbiz wrote:
Whoa, you mean worms are NOT endemic to N.A.?? And they are not beneficial to our system? Without decomposition could we survive? Confused

jclbiz

We don't need them for decomposition, nature does fine without them. Worms basically compete with our North American flora for food - and the worms are faster. Worm compost is fine for the vegetable garden, but not for the American forest or meadow.

I first came across this information while reading a book called "Buffalo Woman's Garden", it was written by a Native American woman growing up on land that had once been a homesteading town. The indian women always killed any worms they found in the soil feeling they were another pest brought on by the Europeans. They also referred to the dandelion and common plantain as "white man's footprint", because they seemed to pop up wherever the white people walked.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 09:02 am
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:

This seemed a rather unbelievable proposition to me, but I like to learn new things.

I didn't have to go far. In GW's own "SOURCE" link I found this:

Quote:

There are over 100 species of native North American earthworms...

"Native" Alien invaders...hmmm
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:

This seemed a rather unbelievable proposition to me, but I like to learn new things.

I didn't have to go far. In GW's own "SOURCE" link I found this:

Quote:

There are over 100 species of native North American earthworms...

"Native" Alien invaders...hmmm

We are speaking of specific, aggressive non-native species. Since they were listed I didn't think I had to clarify any further.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 09:22 am
I guess I misunderstood. But it doesn't seem that this quote, bolded for emphasis, was speaking of any specific species it seems to be talking about worms in general.

Quote:
We don't need them for decomposition, nature does fine without them. Worms basically compete with our North American flora for food - and the worms are faster. Worm compost is fine for the vegetable garden, but not for the American forest or meadow.

I first came across this information while reading a book called "Buffalo Woman's Garden", it was written by a Native American woman growing up on land that had once been a homesteading town. The indian women always killed any worms they found in the soil feeling they were another pest brought on by the Europeans.
0 Replies

IknowIknow

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:32 pm
Hmm.
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:01 pm
More than you ever wanted to know
Sometimes do you just want to know the answer to a question?

I'm happy to know how offensive earthworms are but wasn't it a simple question of what night-crawlers eat?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 11:34 am
Billy Bob and Jethro decide to go ice fishing. After arriving at
the lake early in the morning, they cut two holes in the lake
and dropped their lines into the water.

After fishing for a few hours, Billy Bob had caught dozens
of fish while Jethro hasn't even gotten a bite.

Jethro asks, "Billy Bob, what's your secret?"

Billy Bob answers, "Mmu motta meep da mmrms mmrm."
Jethro asks, "What did you say?"

Billy Bob answers, "Mmu motta meep da mmrms mmrm."
Jethro again asks, "What?"

Billy Bob spits into his hand and says, "You gotta keep
the worms warm!"
0 Replies