Converting CD's to MP3's

Chai

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:51 pm
I want to buy some CD's off Barnes and Noble, meditative and sleep music, to listen to in bed and while reading. Someone is giving me their old ipod.

Looking around the internet, I see sites offering freeware to convert CD's to MP3's

I don't need any fancy bells and whistles. Can anyone recommend a site to download this program from so I won't pick up a virus?

Also, to get really basic....If I download a program, do I just insert the CD into the computer player, convert it into an MP3, and then download it from my computer onto the ipod? Confused Confused

Hey, stop laughing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 889 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
I use audiograbber - for the very same reason you described above.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:02 pm
oh hey, that looks pretty cool Walter.

it's even got a cheat sheet for newbs.

I'll look at it in more depth a little later.

Thanks!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:11 pm
I was just telling hamburger about this site for transferring vinyl and cassettes to mp3.

Have you used it for vinyl, Walter?

chai, if you're anything like me, you'll be shocked how easy the process turns out to be.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:34 pm
thanks ehbeth....yeah, I'm not afraid of technology, but I'm a hands on type of person.

need to read directions at my own pace when it comes to electronic stuff, alone.

so...is it true what I said about converting from a CD in the puter, to an MP3 file, to your MP3 player.

see, that's the kind of stuff that trips me up, may seem like an overly simple question, but there's been times where something doesn't work, and when I ask, some step was left out that seemed to obvious I guess to mention, but if you didn't do it, it won't work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:45 pm
It really is that simple.

The only piece I would give is based on the thing I always do wrong - remember to set up the folder that you're going to drop your music into, before you start.

I didn't realize how fast the burning process would be, and ended up having to save the first c.d. twice. Not a huge mistake, but annoying.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:46 pm
I use something called realplayer... You just insert the cd into the disc drive of the computer. A message asks if you want to play or save the cd. You click "save." Then you hook your ipod or whatever mp3 player you have up to a USB port. Then you find where your program has an option for transfering files to a device, you select your mp3 player as the location you want to transfer to and select the saved cd as what you want to transfer, and there ya go, Bob's yer uncle... It's really easy.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:57 pm
If you're running Windows you don't need to buy anything. Windows Media Player will do it and you probably already have it for free. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but you don't sound like you want any anyway.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:59 pm
Oops, I may be wrong there. Do iPods do MP3s? I thought they used some sort of proprietary Apple format , rather than MP3 or Windows' WMA.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:08 pm
You don't need to do all that conversion crap if you have iTunes. You just open up iTunes and plug in the iPod to your computer. Then put in the CD you want to copy. In iTunes, you should get an automatic popup message saying something like, "Import (disk name) into Itunes?" Say yes. After the songs are imported into iTunes, you can just drag them onto the iPod icon in iTunes and you're done.

Easy.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:09 pm
It's OK username - Windows Media Player can convert to MP3 (Tools-Options-Rip-Format) and I think it's the easiest option too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:11 pm
oh hey, I already have Real Player, so, easy as that.

kicky, I thought iTunes was just for downloading music off the web, not a CD you already own.

Learn something new every day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:13 pm
I used it to put over 300 CDs of mine on my iPod. No technical mp3 conversion mumbo jumbo needed.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:17 pm
yeah, Kicky, I know it can convert to MP3. My question was whether or not iPods can play MP3s. I've never had one, so I'm speaking from dimly remembered 3rd party chat, but I thought they only did some sort of Apple file. If they do MP3s, no prob.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
Yep, they can.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
Ipods can't play WMAs.

WMAs are better quality for the same file size. Like Ogg Vorbis.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 07:36 pm
username wrote:
If you're running Windows you don't need to buy anything. Windows Media Player will do it and you probably already have it for free. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but you don't sound like you want any anyway.

I second this, you will need to enter the options panel to change your rip settings to MP3 (default is wma) but it does a fine job right out of the box.

username wrote:
Oops, I may be wrong there. Do iPods do MP3s? I thought they used some sort of proprietary Apple format , rather than MP3 or Windows' WMA.

ipods use their own proprietary format but do play mp3s, they don't play wma files.

Because mp3 is supported on all devices it is the best format to keep your digital library in right now.

kickycan wrote:
You don't need to do all that conversion crap if you have iTunes. You just open up iTunes and plug in the iPod to your computer. Then put in the CD you want to copy. In iTunes, you should get an automatic popup message saying something like, "Import (disk name) into Itunes?" Say yes. After the songs are imported into iTunes, you can just drag them onto the iPod icon in iTunes and you're done.

Easy.

Don't do this without making sure you get mp3 format, not their proprietary crap or your music collection will be locked into only itunes and ipods. If you do it in mp3 you can use the music on any player and any software any other format currently limits your music portability significantly.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:15 pm
What an Ipod can and can't play, courtesy of Apple Co:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61476
0 Replies