lezzles

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 08:34 pm
Seriously though, the idea of the Port Arthur massacre being the result of a government conspiracy is just so horrible. I haven't heard this theory before. The tightening of gun ownership laws did occur after the massacre (and probably slid through the system easily because of the massacre) but what evidence is offered to support the theory apart from this?

And how come there are still so many guns floating around in QLD?
0 Replies

Wilso

Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:47 pm
The gun death rate has halved in the intervening time. Gun nuts hate it because it's a solid verifiable fact that can't be denied no matter how much they rant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:24 am
If conspiracy theories did not exist, people would be obliged to invent them.

Oh . . . wait . . . that's what they do anyway, huh?

dadpad wrote:
Lotta hunting goes on up here. Local sporting shooters abound, most of the farm utes parked in the main drag have a rifle in them.
Hunting forms a big part of tourism revenue for the town. Ferral Deer and pigs mostly.

"Feral" deer? My understanding of feral is something which was once domesticated and then became wild. Do you mean to say that there was once a population of deer which were kept domestically, and that some escaped and have established themselves in "the wild?"
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:24 am
Setanta wrote:
If conspiracy theories did not exist, people would be obliged to invent them.

Oh . . . wait . . . that's what they do anyway, huh?

dadpad wrote:
Lotta hunting goes on up here. Local sporting shooters abound, most of the farm utes parked in the main drag have a rifle in them.
Hunting forms a big part of tourism revenue for the town. Ferral Deer and pigs mostly.

"Feral" deer? My understanding of feral is something which was once domesticated and then became wild. Do you mean to say that there was once a population of deer which were kept domestically, and that some escaped and have established themselves in "the wild?"

Yes.

Just like the feral pigs, goats, horses, camels, cats and dogs.

Foxes and rabbits were released on purpose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
Well, that's pretty damned goofy. I can't see keeping deer as domestic animals. If you want the meat, you're better advised to keep cattle or swine. People are so damned silly.
0 Replies

margo

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, that's pretty damned goofy. I can't see keeping deer as domestic animals. If you want the meat, you're better advised to keep cattle or swine. People are so damned silly.

Well - deer are not native here - i.e., we don't have any of our own.

So - any that are here must have been imported for their meat, and now they've got loose. One of the big national parks just south of Sydney has a major deer problem - they come down on the beaches, and cause traffic problems. No natural predators, you know! We're not a nation of Hunters, particularly. No guns, see!
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:42 pm
margo wrote:
....One of the big national parks just south of Sydney has a major deer problem - they come down on the beaches ....quote]

Sounds rather nice to me. Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

lezzles

Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:02 pm
margo wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Well - deer are not native here - i.e., we don't have any of our own.

So - any that are here must have been imported for their meat, and now they've got loose. One of the big national parks just south of Sydney has a major deer problem - they come down on the beaches, and cause traffic problems. No natural predators, you know! We're not a nation of Hunters, particularly. No guns, see!

(Except, of course, for the good old boys in Queensland.)

Some years ago it was a trendy thing to set up 'boutique' farms, breeding such critturs as deer, ostriches, alpacas, etc. It seems many of these farmers were fairly inexperienced, thought the animals did not need a lot of care, were used to roughing it and that the marketing of these animals would quickly bring in a lot of money. Unfortunately, they found that this was not quite true and this, together with the recession we had to have, with interest rates soaring up to 17 - 18%, wiped out many of these enterprises. Many of the failed farmers just upped stakes and left, not bothering to close the gates behind them, and the animals just wandered off to greener pastures.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:38 am
The point about no natural predators is a good one. In the United States, almost all of the natural enemies of deer have been killed off, or driven to a few small sanctuaries. Deer populations have exploded, and even in a nation with such a sick love affair with guns, the hunting of deer by the civil population does not keep their numbers in check. The deer herds reach proportion at which disease and/or starvation can kill of thousands in a relatively small area, posing significant public health hazards. Many (most?) states hire professional hunters to cull the herds.
0 Replies

lezzles

Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:18 pm
This is a fairly good summary of the problems we have with introduced species -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_Australia#Feral_animals_.28
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:09 am
We have kangaroos instead of deer. The problem with kangaroos is the same as deer in the U.S.

The land would benefit greatly from a shift to farming 'roos rather than hard hoofed animals.
0 Replies

ooragnak

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:15 pm
lezzles wrote:

And just where are these guns " floating " around ?
0 Replies

ooragnak

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
Wilso wrote:
The gun death rate has halved in the intervening time. Gun nuts hate it because it's a solid verifiable fact that can't be denied no matter how much they rant.

absolute rubbish !!
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:01 pm
ooragnak wrote:
Wilso wrote:

absolute rubbish !!

What fantastic evidence. Are you actually going to do anything but rant? Maybe you need a gun in your hand to replace your lack of a decent penis?
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:20 pm
Quote:
Results: In the 18 years before the gun law reforms, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia, and none in the 10.5 years afterwards. Declines in firearm-related deaths before the law reforms accelerated after the reforms for total firearm deaths (p = 0.04), firearm suicides (p = 0.007) and firearm homicides (p = 0.15), but not for the smallest category of unintentional firearm deaths, which increased. No evidence of substitution effect for suicides or homicides was observed. The rates per 100 000 of total firearm deaths, firearm homicides and firearm suicides all at least doubled their existing rates of decline after the revised gun laws.

The Whole Report

Based on data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. How are you going to answer it? By dribbling some more worthless sh!t?
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:00 pm
Wilso wrote:
Quote:
Results: In the 18 years before the gun law reforms, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia, and none in the 10.5 years afterwards. Declines in firearm-related deaths before the law reforms accelerated after the reforms for total firearm deaths (p = 0.04), firearm suicides (p = 0.007) and firearm homicides (p = 0.15), but not for the smallest category of unintentional firearm deaths, which increased. No evidence of substitution effect for suicides or homicides was observed. The rates per 100 000 of total firearm deaths, firearm homicides and firearm suicides all at least doubled their existing rates of decline after the revised gun laws.

The Whole Report

Steady Wilso! He's just a li'l old marsupial. You know the problem they have with brain size.... :wink:

And thisun's got himself all turned around like.
0 Replies

ooragnak

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:04 pm
Wilso wrote:
ooragnak wrote:
Wilso wrote:

absolute rubbish !!

What fantastic evidence. Are you actually going to do anything but rant? Maybe you need a gun in your hand to replace your lack of a decent penis?

Do you call 2 words ranting ?
Who said I even own a gun or even want to own one ?
I disagree with you and you have to bring penis size into it.
Are you obsessed with size ?

But anyway Wilso, I had a good laugh at your response so you made my day. Thanks.
0 Replies

lezzles

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:09 pm
ooragnak wrote:
lezzles wrote:

dadpad wrote:

The rumor is not on my radar.

If you'd read the thread right through you may have seen this post. My comment was just querying what appeared to be non-compliance with the current gun laws.

Don't come the Charlton Hestons with me, darl, I lived for some years on a country property, was a good shot with a rifle and on one occasion I am sure, averted an armed robbery (or worse) by being seen with rifle in hand. That never made me blind to the irresponsible use of fire arms by semi-morons hoping to get jobs as extras on the remake of Deliverance or to the danger of guns getting into the hands of psychopaths like Martin Bryant or Ivan Milat.

Okay? :wink:
0 Replies

ooragnak

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:14 pm
We all can produce reports ....

How about this one Wilso ?

Quote:
Gun ownership is rising and there is no definitive evidence that a decade of restrictive firearms laws has done anything to reduce weapon-related crime, according to NSW's top criminal statistician.

The latest figures show a renaissance in firearm ownership in the state - a 25 per cent increase in three years. And the head of the Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, Don Weatherburn, said falls in armed robberies and abductions in NSW in the past few years had more to do with the heroin drought and good policing than firearms legislation.

Even falls in the homicide rate, which have been steady, began long before the gun law debate provoked by the Port Arthur massacre in 1996.

Nationwide, the proportion of robberies involving weapons is the same as it was in 1996, while the proportion of abductions involving weapons is higher, the latest Australian Bureau of Statistics fiures reveal. They show a mixed result in firearms-related offences since the mid-1990s. There has been a fall in firearms murders (from 32 to 13 per cent) but a rise (19 to 23 per cent) in attempted murders involving guns.

"I would need to see more convincing evidence than there is to be able to say that gun laws have had any effect," Dr Weatherburn said. "The best that could be said for the tougher laws is there has been no other mass killing using firearms [since Port Arthur].

"There has been a drop in firearm-related crime, particularly in homicide, but it began long before the new laws and has continued on afterwards. I don't think anyone really understands why. A lot of people assume that the tougher laws did it, but I would need more specific, convincing evidence …

"There has been a more specific … problem with handguns, which rose up quite rapidly and then declined. The decline appears to have more to do with the arrest of those responsible than the new laws. As soon as the heroin shortage hit, the armed robbery rate came down. I don't think it was anything to do with the tougher firearm laws."

The Shooters Party MP John Tingle agrees with this analysis but has decided to retire from politics next April because he is frustrated in his attempts to prevent further restrictions, even though the number of registered guns in NSW has jumped from 516,468 to 648,369 since 2002.

"If the laws had worked there would be much less illegal gun crime … we are continuing this perception that if you tighten firearm laws you are going to control firearm crime, even though the opposite is true. Restrictive laws against legitimate ownership and use do nothing to stop gun-related crime because only law-abiding citizens will adhere to laws."

The Police Commissioner, Ken Moroney, supports the laws irrespective of the statistics. "I don't think the laws have been designed to eliminate every firearm off the face of the Earth … but it has achieved proper registration, storage and more effective licensing. These measures have all been successful and John Tingle's role should be acknowledged … he is a man of objectivity and fairness. He hasn't been an advocate for advocacy sake."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/gun-laws-fall-short-in-war-on-crime/2005/10/28/1130400366681.html
0 Replies

ooragnak

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:34 pm
lezzles wrote:
ooragnak wrote:
lezzles wrote:

dadpad wrote:

The rumor is not on my radar.

If you'd read the thread right through you may have seen this post. My comment was just querying what appeared to be non-compliance with the current gun laws.

Oh I see lezzles, I didn't realise you was referring to a post made a month earlier about guns in utes . Non-compliance with storage of firearms was my reason for asking about these guns that were "floating" around.
My apologies darl.
0 Replies