What is total surrender to you?

eoe

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:15 pm
Like squinney, it's not something that I've ever been able to do. Much too scary.
Total surrender to me is losing control, giving it over to someone or something else that may or may not have your best interest at heart.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 02:52 am
Well, sounds creepy to me, but, hey, I'm not you.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:58 am
Have you ever thought of total surrender as letting go of all your expectations of life, of others, and of yourself...and just living in the present?

Of course even that could still a limited version of total surrender...for it arguably doesn't demand say, a surrender of ones values...but say that was let go to...all that is left to guide you then, is past experience and conscience.

...and... there's an understanding that others don't see life the same and will react in different and varying ways - some that you will see as negative and some positive...but you've let go of your expectations of them and therefore accept them purely as they are.

You surrender...and live in the moment, accepting people and things as they are?

So the question is - is total surrender a surrender of will, or a surrender of self?...and if the latter - then what is your self?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:53 am
Re: What is total surrender to you?
devriesj wrote:
This is a question to which I need the answer for a course I'm taking. Just want to know what you all have to say about it.

What is this course, exactly?
And why is such a question being asked?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
Thanks for your honest replies, eoe, squinney, Hawkeye,Ragman. Thanks for 'playing along, so to speak.
... Hope I didn't miss anyone. I really do appreciate. In answer to the question
"is total surrender a surrender of will, or a surrender of self?...and if the latter - then what is your self?" The idea is to answer it any way you see it. That's why I thought it would be good to put the question here. It's fine if you don't want to answer it, but again, I aprreciate the answers given.
Sorry for creeping you out, osso-. No creeping was intended.

Okay, for all of you cynics: it's a psychology course. I'm studying for my masters. Didn't realize I was pushing any hot buttons!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:36 pm
A2K is a sea of hot buttons. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:44 pm
devriesj wrote:
Okay, for all of you cynics: it's a psychology course.

That's what I figured. Or philosophy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm
Am I the cynic in question?

Oh, and eoe, my last comment was not to you. Might have been to my own mind, as it wasn't to hawkeye either, really, since I agree with him.

Anyway, I guess I am a cynic: the very phrase, 'total surrender', reminds me of romance novels or an Elvis Presley song. Not that I've ever read a romance novel (I've a low nausea quotient), but I've seen excerpts.

I did like Intrepid's posts.

I'll add that it seems to me used most in terms of expectation re a female's heart.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:53 pm
Total surrender would require you to give up all rights to self-determination and allow someone/thing else to control you. Even if you trusted someone and thought that they could make better decisions than you, it is a bad idea to grant absolute power to anyone - especially if they have already demonstrated their unworthiness by making you believe that you are inferior and demanding that you submit to them.

I could probably be forced to comply with another's will and appear to be obedient, but total surrender would require the annihilation of my mind/spirit/will - and humanity. I can't imagine why anyone would want that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
Terry wrote:
Total surrender would require you to give up all rights to self-determination and allow someone/thing else to control you. Even if you trusted someone and thought that they could make better decisions than you, it is a bad idea to grant absolute power to anyone - especially if they have already demonstrated their unworthiness by making you believe that you are inferior and demanding that you submit to them.

I could probably be forced to comply with another's will and appear to be obedient, but total surrender would require the annihilation of my mind/spirit/will - and humanity. I can't imagine why anyone would want that.

Living life fully can only be done if you open yourself up fully to life. If you can't do that you are only getting part of the experience. Those who learn to surrender usually only come to that point after years of spiritual training, this is not for the novice. However, may people can at moments surrender to love or to a sexual partner. At one time a fair number of people could surrender to their version of God, which is no different than to surrender to life, but few surrender to God anymore as Christianity has died out.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:49 pm
Hawkeye, how is "living life fully" the same thing as total surrender? If you have relinquished the right to self-determination, do you flip a coin each time a decision must be made, or what? Or do you just drift aimlessly through life, refusing to make any choices?

I suspect that many people who allegedly surrender their lives to God use unverifiable personal revelations of God's Will to avoid having to justify their actions to anyone else.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:26 pm
Re: What is total surrender to you?
devriesj wrote:
This is a question to which I need the answer for a course I'm taking. Just want to know what you all have to say about it.

um... death?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:35 pm
Terry wrote:
Hawkeye, how is "living life fully" the same thing as total surrender? If you have relinquished the right to self-determination, do you flip a coin each time a decision must be made, or what? Or do you just drift aimlessly through life, refusing to make any choices?

I suspect that many people who allegedly surrender their lives to God use unverifiable personal revelations of God's Will to avoid having to justify their actions to anyone else.

I am not saying they are the same, I am saying you can not live fully if you can not surrender. Think of it like riding the wave in surfing....riding and being fully part of life. If you try to defend yourself against the wave you get nowhere. If you focus on analysing the wave you are quickly overwhelmed because your brain can not keep up. Yes you keep thinking, yes you make choices, yes you try to make the best choices, but it is not you against the wave. It is you giving yourself up to the wave, allowing the wave to be the wave because that can't be changed, successful surfing happens when you learn how to be in harmony with the wave.

In no way does the successful surfer become not responsible for their choices, in no way do they lose the right to self determination, they are doing the opposite of drifting.

Fully living is becoming fully part of all of the life around you. when you insist on existing "here is me and there is other" you are always adversarial to life, always holding it at arms length.

Maybe you have experienced sexual surrender, where there is no more concern for "you and me' what you are doing and what i am doing. There is no more planning what to do next, no more fear or concern for what will happen next, no more concern for how you will remember the sex, for things like the "relationship" or explaining the sex to anyone even yourself. You are fully in the moment, feeling and thinking what you will, with no concern for anything but for experiencing what you are thinking and feeling.

Maybe you will get hurt or later have regrets, maybe it will be the best experience of your life, but during the time you have surrendered to your sexual partner you don't care about any of that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:54 pm
I'm no novice re religion or spirituality or sexuality. Hawkeye, I see the cloud you typed as - well, I'd say bushwah - but now that has recent connotations. I see that as a cloud of allowance for letting go. And of course I'm not opposed to letting go as a conceptual exercise in exploration. I certainly am re self awareness. I remain interested in what "I" observe. All your posts are very controlled, even the last, about surrender, the benefits of it.

I'm not here to shut off your point of view on this, Hawkeye, even though I mentioned the word bushwah.
I grew more interested over time in who I am dealing with as my self than from various exhortations from different sources, including buddhism, which does have elements of intrigue for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:55 pm
Adding,

littleK has nabbed it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm no novice re religion or spirituality or sexuality. Hawkeye, I see the cloud you typed as - well, I'd say bushwah - but now that has recent connotations. I see that as a cloud of allowance for letting go. And of course I'm not opposed to letting go as a conceptual exercise in exploration. I certainly am re self awareness. I remain interested in what "I" observe. All your posts are very controlled, even the last, about surrender, the benefits of it.

I'm not here to shut off your point of view on this, Hawkeye, even though I mentioned the word bushwah.
I grew more interested over time in who I am dealing with as my self than from various exhortations from different sources, including buddhism, which does have elements of intrigue for me.

Aggh. I'm not opposed to letting go, certainly sexually, although there is always an I(eye). Maybe I think conceptualizing about that is bushwah. And that other matters are related. But, I retain interest in the I.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:04 pm
Surrender and trust are linked in my mind.

Spiritually, emotionally, sexually - without trust, I'm not surrendering anything.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Surrender and trust are linked in my mind.

Spiritually, emotionally, sexually - without trust, I'm not surrendering anything.

Has to be, but when you surrender to life you do not trust that you will not get hurt, you will get hurt...you know that going in....you trust that you will be Ok.

Sexual surrender sometimes trust is required by people, that is a far as they can go in surrender....do if if they trust the other.

Surrender to God..sometimes trust that God will take care to look out for you.

Love...I don't know how anyone could surrender to love trusting that that they will not get hurt. Love always hurts at times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
I remain interested in the I.

I'm not against trust, but it is a kind of construct.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:12 pm
I wish my discussions in class were this good! This is so thought-provoking. I am feeling seriously challenged to think in new ways.
And to think, it looked like this thread was going to be just a whole bunch of arguing, not the great debate it has turned to. I like this much better.
0 Replies