gold, can they tax it?

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
i got just over an ounce of gold, can they tax me on it? im not gonna convert into money does that make a difference?

sounds weird, but i like collecting pure metals. i got a block of copper for no reason too lol..

tangent, but copper is fuckin awesome i love that ****.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 811 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
You do not state what country or nation or territory you live in. (Let me guess... Rolling Eyes ) In most countries holdings of gold are treated as capital investments and you would be taxed on any profit you make when (or if) you eventually sell it. I do not think any country taxes people merely for owning gold. Today's price is around $927 by the way.

PS I also think copper is beautiful.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 04:43 pm

Quote:
Just about everything is taxed these days but, believe it or not, it is still possible to buy tax free gold.

This will depend largely upon which country you live in and even which state or province in that country you reside. The tax laws in the western countries are known to be some of the most complex in the world and in the US the tax laws and regulations are extremely complex.

Capital Gains Tax on Gold Bullion
In some US states, for example, tax is not paid on the purchase of gold bullion but if you sell gold bullion you may incur a capital gains tax if you sell gold for for a higher gold price than what you purchased at.

Sales Tax on Gold Bullion
As far as Sales tax is concerned, gold coins are legal tender in the country in which they are usually made or made for and sold. Gold Eagles are legal tender in the US for example, and so do not incur any tax on purchase or sales.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:09 pm
wow thanks for the detailed info. exactly what i was lookin for.

so as long as i dont sell it thats cool, but damn 927? all i did was collect broken jewelry for like 8 years.

lol, **** collecting cans!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:15 pm
Jewelry is likely not pure gold.

While gold does not readily combine chemically with other substances, it is often diluted or "watered down" by impurities of other metals such as silver, copper or mercury (in the form of mixtures called alloys).

The term "carat" is used to describe the purity of gold and is based on a total of 24 parts. Pure gold (100% gold and nothing else) is known as 24 carat. In 18 carat gold, for example, 18 of the 24 parts are gold and the remaining 6 parts are another metal, such as silver or copper.

The properties of pure gold discussed above are obviously altered when you add other metals. For example 24 carat gold is probably too soft to make long lasting jewellery so 18 or 9 carat gold is used as it is harder.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:20 pm
muchos gracias.
0 Replies