What will evangelism achieve?

tycoon

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:19 pm
There is no way one can interpret my words to say that all evangelists murder.

Instead, may I ask, how do you interpret Jesus' words? Do you believe he meant for his followers to gently persuade those of other beliefs, believing as he did in eternal lakes of fire for non-believers? And, if so, why didn't he articulate that in his commandment?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:09 pm
Quote:
It would have been nice if the alleged author of those words had understood what his minions would do when they read those few words. They saw it as their manifest destiny. It was the cover needed for subjugating entire populations. God gave them a mandate to murder, all for the further glory of God.

Hmmm, well I guess the words I bolded and italicized kind of led me to believe you were lumping them altogether.

Why didn't He articulate what? Jesus made it very clear about spreading the gospel. Don't cast your pearls before swine..........meaning if they don't want to hear it then shut up about it basically. The Bible also says to dust off your feet if you aren't received when talking the gospel.

Ever read the Beatitudes? I don't see anywhere in there it says to kill anyone do you?

But, of course, anyone can twist scripture. That I cannot and will not deny. However, I don't see where anyone can twist it to mean you can murder anyone and actually believe it, but I do suppose some do.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Quote:
It would have been nice if the alleged author of those words had understood what his minions would do when they read those few words. They saw it as their manifest destiny. It was the cover needed for subjugating entire populations. God gave them a mandate to murder, all for the further glory of God.

Hmmm, well I guess the words I bolded and italicized kind of led me to believe you were lumping them altogether.

Why didn't He articulate what? Jesus made it very clear about spreading the gospel. Don't cast your pearls before swine..........meaning if they don't want to hear it then shut up about it basically. The Bible also says to dust off your feet if you aren't received when talking the gospel.

Ever read the Beatitudes? I don't see anywhere in there it says to kill anyone do you?

But, of course, anyone can twist scripture. That I cannot and will not deny. However, I don't see where anyone can twist it to mean you can murder anyone and actually believe it, but I do suppose some do.

Well, first of all, the Beatitudes have nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Unless one wants to point out Jesus' instructions on how to communicate with the Father: Go in a closet and do it privately. It is the polar opposite of what evangelists do, of what Jesus commanded his followers to do before he "left"; that is, to go into every country and convert the heathens, whether they want converting or not.

But this is the trouble with the Bible. This is the trouble with Jesus' message. If you want to quote a verse to support your position, I'll quote one that counters it.

Don't cast your pearls...nonsense. Dust off your feet...hogwash. Tell that to your evangelizing friends. They observe no such thing. Nor do you it appears.

My point, which I don't want lost is this. It isn't the messengers, it's the message that is bad. "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." That message is infamous, and it reeks of blood.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
tycoon wrote:
Well, first of all, the Beatitudes have nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Unless one wants to point out Jesus' instructions on how to communicate with the Father: Go in a closet and do it privately. It is the polar opposite of what evangelists do, of what Jesus commanded his followers to do before he "left"; that is, to go into every country and convert the heathens, whether they want converting or not.

Uh weren't we talking about what Jesus said and what evangelists today preach? I pointed out the Beatitudes because you pointed out the violence. Oh and by the way the prayer closet is Matthew 6:6. The Beatitudes can be found in Matthew 5:1-12. One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:
But this is the trouble with the Bible. This is the trouble with Jesus' message. If you want to quote a verse to support your position, I'll quote one that counters it.

Hmmm, just make sure you quote the right one. See above. :wink:

Quote:
Don't cast your pearls...nonsense. Dust off your feet...hogwash. Tell that to your evangelizing friends. They observe no such thing. Nor do you it appears.

Shocked OMG! Forgive me! I have been forcing you to sit in that chair and respond to me! You and everyone else! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
My point, which I don't want lost is this. It isn't the messengers, it's the message that is bad. "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." That message is infamous, and it reeks of blood.

Oh really? Reeks of blood? Where does it say if they don't receive you then kill them? Hmmm, I just don't seem to have that in my Bible.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
I don't know how you can state that the Beatitudes have nothing to do with Matthew 6:6. They are all from the Sermon on the Mount. It is direct commentary from Jesus flowing from the Beatitudes. It appears obfuscation is your aim, along with derailment. I'm going to stay the course.

I'm just curious why you don't pound the dust off your shoes. I don't understand why you're throwing those beautiful pearls in with the swine here on the forum. It's evangelizing. It's offensive as well.

The message to preach to all nations and baptize the inhabitants is without doubt the bloodiest order ever uttered. That's what evangelizing has done.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 06:13 pm
tycoon wrote:
I don't know how you can state that the Beatitudes have nothing to do with Matthew 6:6. They are all from the Sermon on the Mount. It is direct commentary from Jesus flowing from the Beatitudes. It appears obfuscation is your aim, along with derailment. I'm going to stay the course.

The Beatitudes are Matthew 5 verses 1-12. We were discussing the Beatitudes not the entire sermon on the mount.

Quote:
I'm just curious why you don't pound the dust off your shoes. I don't understand why you're throwing those beautiful pearls in with the swine here on the forum. It's evangelizing. It's offensive as well.

Who are you calling swine? I don't consider any person that posts on this forum swine. It's a metaphor! He didn't mean don't throw your real pearls in front of real pigs! Geesh!

Oh and after this post I am dusting my shoes off of you. You seem to want an argument and not a discussion, which I believe is what this forum is about? Discussing things? I answer questions I am asked. I discuss the topics others put on the thread. Didn't realize that was evangelizing? So, I guess you are evangelizing too? I guess all of us are that are discussing this.

If you are so offended might I suggest that you don't post on the spirituality & religion forum. Logic and common sense tells me that religion just might be discussed here.

Quote:
The message to preach to all nations and baptize the inhabitants is without doubt the bloodiest order ever uttered. That's what evangelizing has done.

You still haven't shown a single scripture to back that claim up.

Quote:
THE BEATITUDES: Matthew 5:1-12

1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:

2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

A whole lot of blessing going on there and no call for bloodshed that I can see.
0 Replies