Employer Based Insurance and Medical Privacy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:54 pm
Is it possible for employers that provide medical insurance to get medical information on their employees?

I was talking to someone the other day who said that his boss goes over the insurance papers to see what kind of medical treatment the employees are seeking. I don't think it is specific details, but this person was saying that the employer checks to see if anyone is receiving psychiatric help. I found this hard to believe that an employer could get that sort of information from the insurance company, but I got to thinking and if the employer is paying for part of the insurance, than maybe they do have a right to general information like that (ie. which people are are using the insurance, which doctors they are seeing, etc.)

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 688 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:11 pm
As far as I know this is legal. Although I don't think you can fire someone based on an illness. An employer could just decide to "downsize" the person and it would be hard to challenge in court.

Health history can also be checked at the time someone applies for a job. The employer can give your personal information to their health insurer and they will do a check into your medical history via your social security number. The insurer can then let the employer know if he will be hiring someone who might cause their rates to go up. Over the years the odds (read: laws) have been stacked in favor of corporations and insurance agencies.

Things like this can vary from state to state and the best place to get information would be your State Attorney General.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:14 pm
Thanks for the info Green Witch... as scary as it is. Just one more reason to get away from employer based health care I guess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
This may be jurisdiction-based.

In Canada, it is illegal for an insurer to give any information about a claimant to anyone else without the claimant providing a VERY explicit release as to what information is being released, to who, and for what specific purpose.

So, in this example, an employer can not get any information about an employee's medical status without the employee authorizing the release of the information, or providing the information themselves.

The one time I've seen it of benefit to the employee to release the information is in the development of return to work programs for people who need workplace modifications to be provided.
0 Replies