Dumb drought !

vikorr

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:40 pm
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/02/13/10575_hpnews.html

Quote:
"The dam is currently holding around 2.5 million ML and since it spilled on December 28, more than eight million ML has poured over the spillway into the Burdekin River."

That's about 6 times the volume of all Brisbane's dams combined - gone over a spillway in just 6 weeks...and more still spilling over Sad

Quote:
The dam had received a 23.3 per cent increase (430,894 ML) in water on Monday night.

"In the last 24 hours we have recorded a 2.5m rise over the spillway in a very short period of time and the water level is steadily rising," said Sunwater spokesman Glenn Pfluger.

The article didn't give the total height of the water over the spillway, but it was 6m over earlier this year, and it didn't flood flood the town...

Quote:
SEVERAL homes in the Burdekin Shire were evacuated as Australia's fourth-largest river broke its banks for the first time in close to 20 years.

The Burdekin River peaked at 11.8m at the Burdekin Bridge just after noon yesterday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:23 am
I love a sunbunt country
A land of sweeping plains
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,

Etc.

If you could send a bit our way I'd appreciate it vikkor.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:45 pm
Yeah, if I could play around with the clouds and drag them down this way, I'd send the leftovers your way Very Happy

Btw...mistake in calculations, that water that went over the spillway - is about 6 times our biggest dam...but about 4 times our total.

I forsee a redistribution in geography of Australian farming area's within the next decade or two Cool

...and when it comes to pass I shalt take upon myself the name of nostravikorr....hmmm...nope, nope, just doesn't ring right Confused
0 Replies