"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 08:02 am

D'you know what, I saw something this morning I've never seen before, and I've been around for very long time.

Un-Izzielike, I didn't have a camera handy, which I very much regretted because looking up at the sky, the cloud formation was very dramatic, like a "mackerel sky", but much lower. The cloud billows were so big that there was only room for about four of them across the whole of the visible bit of sky (I live in suburbia, horizon not often available).
There were about four big straight bands right across the sky, with duck-egg blue clear sky between. The whole effect was stunning.

http://ladyfi.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mackerel_3.jpg

Something like this, but not like this. Much lower, much bigger.
McTag

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:35 am
@McTag,

Well bloody hell, McTag, that was an interesting post. I'm totally gobsmacked.
Dutchy

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:29 am
@McTag,
I am in awe McTag, firstly for spotting this unusual weather phenomena, and secondly admiring your photographic expertise almost equalling our Izzies brilliant efforts with the camera. Well done!
McTag

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:46 am
@Dutchy,

Thank you sir, but I can't take the credit for that photograph. It belongs to others.
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:00 am
@McTag,
They look like vapour trails from jet-planes ferrying sardines to their holiday destinations.
Dutchy

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@spendius,
Recognise the beauty portrait in that magnificent photograph spendi, your observation does it an injustice!
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:10 pm
@Dutchy,
Nature is beautiful isn't it? When something totally different shows itself it's beautiful to look at. I can visualise what you are showing McTag, I bet it was breathtaking.

A couple of times, we have looked out the windows here in the morning, to see the whole garden area glowing amber, it's kind of eerie yet beautiful to look at I've never seen it before in my life, other than here.. Not sure if it's a reflection of the early sun on the waters across the road but it's beautiful never the less.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
@McTag,
That certainly is unique cloud formation. That's the very first time for me too!
I wonder what causes it?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Must tell you all a true story which happened yesterday. Remember Mike Tyson, the former world heavyweight champion boxer? The tough man who during one bout bit off part of the ear of his opponent? Well he is presently spending a week in my town giving talks. As it was, yesterday he visited our famous native animal park and admired, the Kangaroos, the Wombats, Dingoes and of course the Koala farm. The latter are small cuddly marsupials and wouldn't hurt a fly. Mike was asked to hold an 8kg specimen like all visitors do for a photograph. The tough man refused, "no way I'm a touching one of them, look at their claws, they scare me". No amount of coaxing from the rangers and the public could persuade him to hold one of them cuddle bears. I found this quite incredible and so did the public as the story was splashed on the front page of our newspaper.
spendius

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:40 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Nature is beautiful isn't it?

No it isn't. It's horrible. A flat out killing field to anybody who has heard of Charles Darwin.

I have read loads of stuff written by guys in Classical times and I can't recall any mention of nature being beautiful. Homer's "rosy fingered dawn" and his "wine dark sea" are beautiful not because of the dawn or the sea but because of Homer's poetic fancy.

It's odd that in a society where nature is exploited or shoved to one side there is a powerful sentimental idealisation of it which is not found in the records of those people to whom it was a complete bloody nuisance. Take a swarm of locusts for example. Or a hurricane. And all the soggy wet leaves on the pavement which have to be carefully negotiated walking home from the pub.

A cover drive off a fast bowler which flashes all along the ground bisecting the cover fielders and banging into an advertising sign is beautiful.

If nature is beautiful what are we to make of all the adjustments made to nature in the industries dedicated to presenting the human female in the best possible light.

The Christian scientific and industrial project is all about setting aside nature and using it like we might use a tin opener if we are daft enough not to choose pull-top cans.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 09:50 am
@spendius,
in the end, nature always wins, spendicus...

and that's beautiful.
margo

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 02:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

in the end, nature always wins!

Those cerise jerseys on those English roses just ain't natural, Iz.

And how about those Wallabies! Twisted Evil

(ps. small rugby joke with the hostess!)
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 03:08 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
The tough man refused, "no way I'm a touching one of them, look at their claws, they scare me". No amount of coaxing from the rangers and the public could persuade him to hold one of them cuddle bears. I found this quite incredible and so did the public as the story was splashed on the front page of our newspaper.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I am no fan of Tyson. Especially after the ear biting stunt with Holifield. ick. Wink

I would love to hold a koala bear. Smile

McT - that sounds amazing.....we had a wave cloud thingy here a while back I found stunning as well....

Love nature - in all of it's horror and beauty...it is intense.
spendius

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 04:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
in the end, nature always wins, spendicus...

and that's beautiful.

Entropy's beautiful!!?? Suit yourself. I think it's shite.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 04:31 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I would love to hold a koala bear. Smile

Koalas are not bears! Very few places in Oz let you hold them - apparently it causes the critters some stress.

...and there's always the risk of biting, scratching, piddling! One especially astute koala peed on a quite unpopular politician once. Considered relevant political comment!

..and I wouldn't have thought ear biting was the worst thing about Tyson! By a long shot!
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 05:29 pm
@margo,
Whatever....koalas are cute.

That's not the worst thing...I am sure. If I said that I didn't mean it.

Have a great weekend folks.
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:36 pm
@mismi,
My young'uns had friends over last night. They went to bed at 5:00AM. So not kidding. They did sleep until 11:00....I had to get up and get moving though. I had my food deliveries today. So...I am stupid tired right now.

And my boys just left to watch the Tennessee game at a friends house and left me all alone.

Very Happy

I think I am going to go watch a chick flick. Something ridiculously girly.
Dutchy

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 12:37 am
@mismi,
I agree with you mismi. they are cute little marsupuals. Have one coming into my garden occasionally as my neighbours have massive gum trees which they love for their leaves. He is very tame and I can almost pat him, let me come to within a yard of him when he jumps the fence and into the tree next door. This week a whole colony of them got incinerated in the bush fire near my sons place. Several were rescued with severe burns, flown 500 miles to my home town where they are being treated, and will be released again when fully recovered which they will, as they are very tough little creatures! Great work by the people involved. Have a great weekend miss sunshine. (((mismi)))
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 01:35 am
@mismi,
I was at the Vet the other day mismi and this 'HUGE' Koala was there for something don't know what. The girls were scared to hold it Wink Their nails are friggen long and the owner held them high in the air then let the Koala snuggle in, one of the most amazing things I have seen.. They are in-deed cute and everything can be tamed, just goes to show Smile

I don't know how kids can do that, yes I can, I remember I just can't do that anymore Smile

You remind me to smell the roses and quit working so much and to relaxxxxxxxx

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 01:57 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Those cerise jerseys on those English roses just ain't natural, Iz.

(ps. small rugby joke with the hostess!)

<cough>

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/8003048079_123389b896_b.jpg

<cough>

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/8004547539_1631b6b106_b.jpg

<swoons, fans'elf>

The shirt represents the dreams not just of those who wear it but the millions who support England. This is reflected on the inside of the sleeve of the Seniors, Women’s and Sevens shirts with the slogan ENGLANDCONNECTED, acting as a reminder of the (rugby) family.

Love a man in pinky poiple shirt, and white with midnight blue sox - yum!

C'MON ENGLAND!

margo wrote:

And how about those Wallabies! Twisted Evil

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-swXJkGqvLSQ/TZ4uvmBr7jI/AAAAAAAAVQo/UO_CaT75uG0/s800/DSC05968.jpg

WHO WHO!

heehee Cool Razz Twisted Evil Mr. Green Very Happy

<ducks>

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nVHoiiuobwc/TfYx4oByJ6I/AAAAAAAAVQs/WGUwZmgr0JQ/s800/DSC05962.jpg

Waves to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz CREW! Very Happy

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.12 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:58:36