Are people who believe in god happier than non-believers?

curtis73

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
Setanta wrote:
So, i would have to say that whether or not i have been happy has never been conditioned by religious or spiritual principles. Once again, though, i have never been a devoted believer, so i can't think i have a basis for a comparison.

If you think about it in most of North America and Europe (where most of our members live) religion only plays in about 10% of our lives. The rest is society which is a pretty average level playing field. I think society and our personalities play a larger role in our happiness than our religion.

This of course wouldn't apply to all religions, but the way NA and EUR integrate their religions into society doesn't seem to have much of an impact on daily life.

Hindu, Moslem, Buddhist, Sikh, and Jain all seem to have more of their religion intertwined with their society, so it would stand to reason it affects their state much greater than a primarily Judeo-Christian one.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 12:01 am
believers are happier, but it's can't be the same as satisfaction, or the magnitude of this or that experience be it bad or good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:14 am
hanno wrote:
believers are happier, but it's can't be the same as satisfaction, or the magnitude of this or that experience be it bad or good.

Speak for yourself.
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
Re: Are people who believe in god happier than non-believers
kickycan wrote:
When life gets you down and you're an atheist, you just have to say, "That's life," and move on, dealing with how things suck with no outward defense system. Not so for the religious. They can just say, "It's god's plan," and in that statement they can then think about how all things serve the lord, and how actually this pain or suffering has meaning. This can be a source of comfort much stronger than just "that's life."

And even just on a daily basis, a person with frequent thoughts of god and doing god's work and how he has a plan and you are part of it has a better chance of having a feeling of comfort and joy in those thoughts. Don't you think?

I mean, what do atheists or agnostics have that can match that? Are believers generally happier than non-believers?

As a Strong beleiver Of Athiesm and Nihilsim Myself i Would Have to Agree with you to a degree that people who beleive in Religion may be Happier....And i think thats Great For them To have something To get them through the Rough times...I Really think its terrific.

but at the same time I think its Ignorant and I think There Sorta Living a lie...They may as well be praying to a Wall Or Some other Unimportant object....So While i think People Who beleive in God MAY be happier Through the rough Times i beleive its also rather ignorant to a degree.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:21 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
hanno wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Alright, I was half lit on that one, but you got to know, I mean, it ain't if art is pleasant or disturbing that makes it great....
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:27 pm
People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.
Abraham Lincoln

I think Lincoln was right.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm
Quote:

They will be 100 years from now.....
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:33 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:

They will be 100 years from now.....

Only if there's a heaven.

I believe on average the non-believers are happier. They live for the moment. Doesn't the bible say to give away material possesions. Find me a Christians who's done that and ask me if they're happier than an atheist with a computer.
0 Replies