Are people who believe in god happier than non-believers?

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
kickycan wrote:
I didn't ignore you, Chumly. Actually, I wrote a response to your post then decided to go a different way.

The gist of my response though was that I don't believe the true believer has to concern themselves with the problem of self-delusion. If they are a true believer, they must, by definition, believe that they are not deluding themselves.
Well yes and no, as therein lies the quandary of the rational mind and the innate hypocrisy of self-deceit!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
I disagree completely!

[size=8]Not really, I just don't want you to feel like I'm ignoring you again.[/size]
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:56 pm
Chumly wrote:
Those that believe in god (if they are rational and educated) must deal with the concern of self-delusion in the form of faith.

That not a recipe for happiness.

Thus the question then becomes: "Are people who believe in god rational and educated?"

in essence then, the titular question has been asked many times on A2.
I'll match myself as no better or worse than the norm for happines, rationality, and education level as compared to the run of the mill a2ker.

'Cept mebe I'm bigger
older
'n uglier

Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
A dear friend of mine was the sort of proseletyzr that goes to a place like Guyana and knocks on doors, and prefered to operate alone. He was much older than me. He went in the hospital for intestinal bleeding and ended up dying in there He was well aware of his situation, at the end, and he ordered that his funeral be a happy affair. He died very serenely, a hundred percent convinced the next stop was heaven. And, his funeral was full of laughter and joy, with me being the only person there with tears in his eyes. They told funny stories, such as, he was from a rural spot in Arkansas and never owned a pair of shoes before his sixteenth birthday.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:00 pm
I've known some mighty unhappy religious folks and some people who are very happy atheists, as well as the inverse. I think happiness comes from within and it's an individual matter as to whether someone can be happy given what life has thrown at them. I sometimes think it's easier to be a person of faith but I don't know that they're happier.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:01 pm
Excuse my spelling. I went to edit, but was too slow.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:03 pm
dlowan wrote:
This is the only piece claiming some evidentiary base I could find upon cursory googling:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672

I'd say the religious are constantly under the influence of a pernicious drug, and always divorced from reality, of course!!!

What do you have in that cigarette, Rabbit? Very Happy

Casual observation would seem to indicate that many who post on the religious threads are there for reasons other than spirituality. This, however, is what may give them joy and happiness. If that is correct, then their happiness will not sustain them over the long haul.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:38 pm
littlek wrote:
I've been very happy and very depressed - with all the levels in between. I've been an atheist throughout.

I've been very happy and very depressed - with all the levels in between. I've been a believer throughout.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:39 pm
kickycan wrote:
I disagree completely!

[size=8]Not really, I just don't want you to feel like I'm ignoring you again.[/size]
Whew......I can go back to my on-line shopping now.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 06:49 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Those that believe in god (if they are rational and educated) must deal with the concern of self-delusion in the form of faith.

Thus the question then becomes: "Are people who believe in god rational and educated?"

I'll match myself as no better or worse than the norm for happines, rationality, and education level as compared to the run of the mill a2ker.

'Cept mebe I'm bigger
older
'n uglier

Laughing
You have mentioned your doubts and your past religious vagrancies. You have also never supplied a rational postilion as to why your religious views should supersede those of the indigenous American peoples (for example).

A portent of an agnostic (and perhaps happier) neologist.......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
dlowan wrote:
This is the only piece claiming some evidentiary base I could find upon cursory googling:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010672

I'd say the religious are constantly under the influence of a pernicious drug, and always divorced from reality, of course!!!

What do you have in that cigarette, Rabbit? Very Happy

Casual observation would seem to indicate that many who post on the religious threads are there for reasons other than spirituality. This, however, is what may give them joy and happiness. If that is correct, then their happiness will not sustain them over the long haul.

Nothing.

It's just there to annoy other non-smokers.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:04 pm
I would guess that on the average its a wash. Some personality types are much happier having religion as a crutch while other types might find it a stressful endeavor.

Personally as a Protestant for the first 25 years of my life now being spiritual, I would have to say that its a wash. Religion took away so many fears while simultaneously adding hundreds. It was happy, but stressful. Now that I've learned more spiritual truths, its both daunting (seeing the new path and what I want to learn) and liberating (seeing the pieces all fall together and knowing that I'm on the right path for me.) At least now I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Before I just saw a long, boring tunnel.

Its like loving your job and having a busy day; stressful, but you love every minute of it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:25 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:

'Cept mebe I'm bigger
older
'n uglier

Laughing
You have mentioned your doubts and your past religious vagrancies. You have also never supplied a rational postilion as to why your religious views should supersede those of the indigenous American peoples (for example).

A portent of an agnostic (and perhaps happier) neologist.......
Verily!
As a vagrant, I vaguely remember taking a vacation from vacuuming.

However, I do admire the art of the Northwest Amerindians.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/8/8/7/9/5/webimg/30121985_th.jpg
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 02:20 am
Some people measure happiness with money. I don't know if any group is happier than another, because what makes us happy changes from person to person.

It could be...

Money
Family
Sexual Gratification
Authority
etc

T
K
O
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:32 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Some people measure happiness with money. I don't know if any group is happier than another, because what makes us happy changes from person to person.

It could be...

Money
Family
Sexual Gratification
Authority
etc

T
K
O

There's a whole set of folk who study happiness these days......and, from memory, there do appear to be certain factors which seem to assist in happiness that we tend to have in common. From memory, money only has a positive effect on happiness up to a certain point.....

Of course, I cannot attest to the quality of the research!

Here's a few links I came up with upon a quick googling:

http://www.happiness.org/Resources/Happiness_Studies.aspx

Another journal

http://nymag.com/news/features/17573/

More press reporting

http://gethappy.net/v104.htm

http://www.springerlink.com/content/104910/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2002-12-08-happy-main_x.htm

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/happiness/happycountry.html

More!!!!!

I hope the research makes the researchers happy......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:24 am
I am a very religious person.

( Do not hear christian .. )

And I am happier in a different way when I am more in touch with my religion. When I am grounded and focused, I am on a more even plain for anything that happens and I can feel happy through many things and it is genuine.

I am always ME if I am out of touch or not, but I feel more genuine and more confident in myself when I am in touch with my religion then any other time.

I do not look to religion when things go wrong. **** happens. No matter what. And no god or goddess is responsible. We dont have bad things happen to us as some sort of sick way of teaching us a lesson. Things just happen.
Having my religion makes me calmer about things. Helps me remember that things are not bad, I am not being ' punished' by some sky god in a white robe and that I am not powerless.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
I remember a study years ago where a few hundred people of different backgrounds were given a "happiness" test to try and quantify how happy they were. The hands-down winners were the Amish/Mennonite community. Just food for thought.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:25 pm
A German study once said it's all genetics and that we're born happy or unhappy. I also tend to believe that being optimistic, having a positive outlook in life, and being happy is something we are born with.

Certainly, everyone has set backs in life and goes through emotional rough
times, but even there, an upbeat person will treat life's difficulties in a
more positive manner, as someone who is inclined to be unhappy, depressive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:47 pm
snood wrote:
littlek wrote:
I've been very happy and very depressed - with all the levels in between. I've been an atheist throughout.

I've been very happy and very depressed - with all the levels in between. I've been a believer throughout.

I've ridden the emotional roller coaster all my life, as well as have others. However, this question is problematic for me, as i was never a fully convinced believer. My earliest memories of religious indoctrination are of the hypocrisy and cruelty of the religious fanatics who were intent on securing my adherence to their creed. I can recall that as early as the age of five, i resented what was being forced on me. At that age, i didn't necessarily question the concept of a deity, but i wasn't favorably impressed with the old boy, and thought that it was pretty damned shabby that one his hobbies was tormenting little boys.

So, i would have to say that whether or not i have been happy has never been conditioned by religious or spiritual principles. Once again, though, i have never been a devoted believer, so i can't think i have a basis for a comparison.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:08 pm
snood wrote:
littlek wrote:

Herein lies the faulty logic behind Kicky's post.
0 Replies