Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:23 am
Want more proof metrication sucks donkey balls in Canada and elsewhere too? The following is a bit out of date, but the general points are still salient.
Quote:

http://users.aol.com/footrule/canada.htm
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:31 am
Metric is waaaaaaay better, just google "metric is better than imperial"

This page has some nice arguments
http://gregable.com/2007/04/metric-vs-imperial.html

The only reason 12 is so useful is because once you had your "base 12", you built everything around it, so DUH it's going to be easier, if you built it around base 78.33 you'd have the same brilliant argument.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:34 am
Check out this! Me, I am going to my grave in a coffin built from Canadian hardwoods and measured in feet and inches!
Quote:
Must we do as Brussels dictates?

The pro-metric lobby have real problems with the concept of democracy - whatever arguments they put forward in favor of their bizarre system, they will not ever allow the population to have a choice - this metrication nonsense is being forced upon us without the consent of the population. If the politicians want us to go metric, let's have a referendum - or at the very least a debate in Parliament. Does anyone remember a political party putting anything in their manifesto about destroying this part of our culture and heritage?

Funny how so many politicians keep banging on about 'choice', but don't actually let us have one...

The British Weights and Measures Association is the main organization concerned with saving this part of our heritage - do support it.

Illogical and confusing units
Why is it that so many people get confused about 'metric' units? Is it because people in England haven't had sufficient exposure to them, or is it because they (the 'metric' units) are a hopeless muddle of similarly named and illogically sized units? One thing that the 'pro-metric' folk keep banging on about is that 'metric' has been taught in school since the mid-1960's, so Imperial isn't understood by anyone anyway. They say that anyone can understand 'metric' if they try. Spot the flaw in their argument? With no education in Imperial, most people want to use Imperial, whilst with all their school (and further) education being in 'metric', people still are uncomfortable with 'metric'. The reason is obvious - Imperial (and US customary) measurements are a codified way of measuring in the sort of scales that humans can easily grasp, but 'metric' measurements are an artificial system, designed from the outset to destroy culture, and create an elite. If you want to measure something unimaginably small (like an atom) or unbelievably big (like a galaxy) then by all means use a 'metric' measurement. But you want to measure an area of land? You could be 'metric' and measure in 'ares', or SI and measure in square metres. In practice, the 'metric' types use the 'hectare', which is neither one thing or the other. I'll stick to using acres, which have been with us for over 1300 years.

Are 'metric' units 'scientific' ?
The units that the scientific community use are SI, not the vague muddle of 'metric' measures that some people try to use. SI units are nice and simple: the metre, the kilogramme (how can a fundamental unit be a kilo-anything?), and the second, to start with (not that there is anything remotely 'metric' about the second - it's been around a long time!). Don't confuse this with the so-called MKS system! SI units also include the newton (anyone who weighs themselves in kg is living in the past!), the joule (slimmers - abandon your calories, which are really kilocalories anyway!), and the radian. SI will have you measure all lengths in metres, whether it's the distance between two atoms, or the distance between two stars. Express the answers in standard form, and you get the idea.

Incidentally, I've never understood why the 'metric' brigade think that speed should be measured in kph, or 'metres per 3 point 6 seconds'. We'll know that they've got the hang of their own system when they measure speeds in ms-1

Now here I must declare an interest - I'm a scientist by training. I'm OK with SI units - I'm very comfortable with temperatures in kelvin (no, not degrees Kelvin), and angles in radians, and all times measured in seconds, rather than useful units like months etc. 'metric' is fine for measuring the unimaginable (like carbon-hydrogen bond lengths, although I've never understood why I'm no longer allowed to use Angstroms for that). But let's face it - they aren't suitable for everyday use. Linking 'metric' with 'science' is just another facet of the 'elite' aspect of enforced metrication (most of the 'elite' are of course politicians, who in general are failed lawyers).

Why Imperial is superior
If you were starting from scratch, you would design a system of weights and measures that was useful, rather than one that was complicated for its own sake. You might decide to measure things by comparing them to things you see around you. Weights, for example, could be expressed in pebbles for small weights (say for baking ingredients), bricks for somewhat larger weights (buying groceries), the weight of a man for weighing coal etc., and the weight of a car for bigger things. You would not worry about how much an atom or a galaxy weighs. This is the approach taken by the Imperial/Customary systems - ounces for flour, pounds for bananas, stones for potatoes, tons and hundredweights for cars. And this process is constantly being followed by the media, as it invents new measurements that people can understand - lengths in London-buses, heights in Nelson's-columns, areas in football-pitches etc. How much of this is because Brussels stops the media (especially the Quisling BBC) from using the well-understood Imperial measures I can't say.
http://home.clara.net/brianp/ametric.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:34 am
Montana--

You can remember "meter" or even "metre", right?

You know there are 100 years in a century? Well, there are 100 centimeters in a meter.

Millimeters are smaller. There are ten millimeters to a centimeter and 1000 millimeters to a meter.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:42 am
Quincy wrote:
The only reason 12 is so useful is because once you had your "base 12", you built everything around it, so DUH it's going to be easier, if you built it around base 78.33 you'd have the same brilliant argument.
Nope!

Look at 12: you can get 2, 4, 6, by simple even division! Even better the numbers 2, 4, 6 are all dividable by 2 evenly with no lame-ass fractions!

Look at 10: all you can get is 5 and after that zilch!

Look at your silly"78.33" you can't get bupkis!

Obviously you are confused and brainwashed and not in the trades!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:54 am
Chumly, that is obviously an imperial nut that is trying to split hairs.
There is nothing "easy to grasp" about imperial. You can find a rock that is one kilogram, just as easy as you could find one that is one pound.

"Scales that humans can grasp"? Er, what? Are you saying I can't grasp what a metre is? Or a kilogram? I'm sorry, but my intuition about the metric, or SI if you wanna be fancy, is pretty darn good. I have a good feel for what a kilogram is. Like when I'm measuring out 0.5 kilograms of flour for baking, I get it quite accurate without a scale.

"Create an elite"? Talk about sensationalist! Go to a country that uses SI, and ask an un-educated man is he knows how long a metre is.

You could measure the unbelievably large and small with imperial too, ya know.

The kilogram is the fundamental unit because the gram (sp?) is too small.

Measuring your weight in kg is a mere scalling from Newtons- nobody is bothered about their weight on Mas, so it's all consistent.

Kilocalaries is a misconception, and is not SI anyhow.

Try doing any serious maths without radians, they are so much simpler.

And please- galaxies are measured with light years or parsecs. Anyway, any fool can use scientific notation. What does imperial use, hmm?

Er, speed IS measured in km/h or m/s.

What is degrees Kelvin? The SI unit is Kelvin, and a unit Kelvin= unit degree celsius.

How is it not useful for everyday use? Please support your statements.

I do not see how the metre was based on measuring atoms or stars.

Duh it's being followed by the media, coz those countries still use Imperial!

And btw, people in Imperial countries don't like the better metric, or SI, because it was there first, it got a foothold in the market first. There is a biological name for this, but I don't remember it atm.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:58 am
Chumly wrote:
Quincy wrote:
Nope!

Look at 12: you can get 2, 4, 6, by simple even division! Even better the numbers 2, 4, 6 are all dividable by 2 evenly with no lame-ass fractions!

Look at 10: all you can get is 5 and after that zilch!

Look at your silly"78.33" you can't get bupkis!

Obviously you are confused and brainwashed and not in the trades!

From http://gregable.com/2007/04/metric-vs-imperial.html

Quote:
I totally disagree with using base 12 as a starting point for a new system.

Here is why.
You state that it is often easy to divide by 2, 3 or even 4. As in street-racing, where 1/4 of a mile is raced.
If we change the system to base 12... a mile will suddenly yield a different number of base-12 meter/yard like equivalents. Suddenly, we will need to go to 0.27 times a base-12 km/mile.
(This numbers are not correct, as you state that a mile is already 'compatible' with base-12.)

Now, the problem is, that for every situation where you come-up with a nice clean solution, anybody could come up with 2 situations where it does not give any benefit. (If we took more time than to simply put our disagreements on paper/on-line, not taking the time to actually convert base-12 into anything useful. Which would require me to use pen/paper/calculator, as base-12 is NOT easy to calculate with.)

Also, dividing and multiplying by 12 are not easy (*3 *2 *2... is quite ok, /2 /2 /3 is NOT ok). Whereas some people (me amongst them) are totally comfortable with multiplying by 2, everybody with even the most basic knowledge of calculation is comfortable with multiplying/dividing by 10 (I wouldn't even call it mathematics, as the word is already more complex).

In short, there is no single advantage to base-12 that is not negated by the fact that there are more disadvantages.
By using the (also standardized) notations on milli, micro, centi, kilo, mega, etc, all of those 'extreme units' can be used for anything. Making it useful and comparable to many other fiels or applications.
Example: Comparing inches to feet to yards to miles. Comparing centimeters to decimeters to meters to kilometers. See the simplicity.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:17 am
You have missed the point entirely, I made no mention of miles, as such your claims do not change the underlying truisms of my assertions one wit.

You have not shown how much more factor-able 10 is with respect to the trades as compared to 12 because you cannot. The fact is 5 is all you can get from 10 and you can't get zip from your silly"78.33".

How much time do you work with a tape measure on a daily basis and in what capacity?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:22 am
In terms of multiplying and dividing - metrics are simpler for sure- you just either add or delete zeros.

But in terms of baking- I prefer the imperial measurements - you don't have to weigh anything- you don't even have to own a scale- which, with the way the recipes are written in England - you definitely do.

When I lived in England a friend and I were talking about it and she asked, "But how do you get an exact measurement on something like butter, that's not melted, when it asks for something like three tablespoons or 1/3 cup? Then I explained to her that our packaging comes with these little lines that tell you just where to cut the stick of butter - you don't even have to weigh it. She wasn't aware of that, as she'd never tried to bake in the US.

None of it is that hard to convert- you just have to remember some key conversions: mile/kilometer, centimeter/inch, liter/gallon, kilogram/pound.

I could go either way on it-except for the fahrenheit versus celcius scale for temperature- that does make more sense to me than celsius- starting at 0 and progressing by degrees in units of one- but that might just because that's what I'm used to-I think that's why everyone thinks their system is better or easier- the society they live in is based around and makes it better or easier to deal with that particular system than with the other.

For people learning to use tools of linear measurement though - inches are easier because they're bigger and easier to see and count- so I know why Montana was confused with the millimeters on the ruler.

But my question is why do they switch back and forth between metric and imperial measurement in England-the inconsistency is what confuses me most.
When I first got there, I saw that the petrol was priced by the liter, so I thought, "Oh, okay, metric system." So when I was driving on the motorway the first day and saw "Services: three m", I thought, "Dang- they don't give you alot of warning, do they?" I thought - no, they can't mean three meters- so I quickly figured out they were talking miles, but most of their other linear and weight measurements are metric- but they still throw in the stone...interesting- anyone know why it's all so back and forth there?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:33 am
Chumley

As an American engineer, who cares as long as it's consistent and apparent. Granted inconsistencies between the two measurement systems can lead to expensive consequences.. BTW some of the people who advocated the metric system were Franklin, Adams and Jefferson.. I realize that they aren't honored among Canadians---but they were revolutionary.

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:40 am
aidan wrote:
In terms of multiplying and dividing - metrics are simpler for sure- you just either add or delete zeros.
If you work with a metric tape measure regularly you'll see it's not simpler than Imperial; you mentioned about metric's too small divisions and you're right!

However you cannot "just either add or delete zeros" for "multiplying and dividing" using a Metric tape measure.

Factoring by even ratios is much more forgiving with Imperial as compared to Metric when using a tape measure.

A tape measure is an excellent yardstick (pun) by which to measure the real-world, everyday usability of a given measuring system. Factoring by even ratios is the key to natural tape measure usage.

If metric used base 8 and did not have such small increments it would be OK too.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:19 am
raprap wrote:
Chumley

As an American engineer, who cares as long as it's consistent and apparent. Granted inconsistencies between the two measurement systems can lead to expensive consequences.. BTW some of the people who advocated the metric system were Franklin, Adams and Jefferson.. I realize that they aren't honored among Canadians---but they were revolutionary.

Rap
For day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage there are problems with metric:

Factor-ability stinks:

10/6 = 1.6666
10/4 = 2.5
10/3 = 3.3333
(10/2)/2 = 2.5

Increment-resolution sucks:

The millimeter is too small for day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage.

Don't get me wrong I can and have used metric for years and it's OK unless or until you need it for the day-to-day working-man's tape measuring, then it sucks. For me (and for may others) that's the acid test.

I have worked with lots of engineers and their concept of reality differs from the actual implementation of the work; except for a rare few that really know and understand and sympathize with the day-to-day working-man's needs.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
Chumly -You are obviously biaised at this issue.

Consider that you have lived all your life with this Imperial system.

Now think that you are a right-handed person.

How hard is it to learn how to write with your left hand?

But what if you are an ambidextrous person?

I'm a pretty good ambidextrous person. I use the mouse with my left hand and type with both hands.

I use both Imperial and metric systems on a daily basis.

No problem.

My usual units on the Imperial are 1/100, 1/20, and 1/10 of an inch.

No problem.

Imperial is a learned system for me..

No bias then..
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:01 am
Chumly - I agree with you on the tape measure and linear measurement in general - as I said- it's easier to read the standard units and measure with (in my opinion-and that's from my own experience and trying to teach children to do both- even I have trouble counting the millimeters).

But in terms of any other sort of multiplying or dividing with metrics versus imperial - think about it- meters to kilometers divide by 1000-move your decimal three spaces to the left- whereas feet to miles you have to divide by 5,280. Kilograms to grams, multiply by 1000- move your decimal three spaces to the right where as pounds to ounces, multiply by l6. You see what I'm saying?

I think Francis is right, it's fairly easy to just learn to convert and adjust. And there are advantages to both. I think it depends on what you're used to or where you are and what you're doing.

But just as you'll always use an imperial tape measurerer to construct things, I will always cook and bake using imperial measurements - no matter where I am - it IS easier - you can cut out one whole time consuming step for every measurement.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:08 am
Francis wrote:
Chumly -You are obviously biaised at this issue.

Consider that you have lived all your life with this Imperial system.
Not so, I have and do use both, I prefer metric for automotive tools for example because the increments are more consistently scaled.
Francis wrote:
Now think that you are a right-handed person.

How hard is it to learn how to write with your left hand?
I am left handed and like many of the evil persuasion I have by necessity become somewhat ambidextrous. In fact, for tightening (clockwise) the right hand has the distinct torque advantage.
Francis wrote:
But what if you are an ambidextrous person?
See above. In any case the ambidextrous argument does not make a wholly viable analogy because of the two factors I discuss as per the tape measure:

For day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage there are problems with metric:

1) Factor-ability stinks:

10/6 = 1.6666
10/4 = 2.5
10/3 = 3.3333
(10/2)/2 = 2.5

2) Increment-resolution sucks:

The millimeter is too small for day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage.
Francis wrote:
I'm a pretty good ambidextrous person. I use the mouse with my left hand and type with both hands.
Me too, but that has little to do with direct day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage and the two disadvantages metric has.

Francis wrote:
I use both Imperial and metric systems on a daily basis.
Me too but there are many definitions of the word "using" and unless you have some years of direct day-to-day working-man's tape measure usage you can easily overbook metric's disadvantages in this case.

Using both imperial and metric systems on a daily basis within the context of paperwork / computers / drawings / mathematics is simply not the same as the hands-on, day-to-day, working-man's tape measure usage.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:17 am
aidan wrote:
Chumly - I agree with you on the tape measure and linear measurement in general - as I said- it's easier to read the standard units and measure with (in my opinion-and that's from my own experience and trying to teach children to do both- even I have trouble counting the millimeters).

But in terms of any other sort of multiplying or dividing with metrics versus imperial - think about it- meters to kilometers divide by 1000-move your decimal three spaces to the left- whereas feet to miles you have to divide by 5,280. Kilograms to grams, multiply by 1000- move your decimal three spaces to the right where as pounds to ounces, multiply by l6. You see what I'm saying?

I think Francis is right, it's fairly easy to just learn to convert and adjust. And there are advantages to both. I think it depends on what you're used to or where you are and what you're doing.

But just as you'll always use an imperial tape measurerer to construct things, I will always cook and bake using imperial measurements - no matter where I am - it IS easier - you can cut out one whole time consuming step for every measurement.
Sure, I despise the Canadian government for making it a crime to use Imperial though, and yep in some cases I prefer metric (such as with automotive tools) because they are more logically scalable, in other words metric automotive tools are not burdened with weirdo fractions like 7/16.

But for the Canadian government to criminalize the use of Imperial measurments.........then in 2005 to start teaching it in schools again because kids are getting all messed up, what kind of freak-show is that?

My many years of experience has taught me that oftentimes government officials and engineers are not well connected to the real world.

The burden of translating their idealizations falls on the shoulders of the likes of me.

Simply because a measuring system gives the appearance of base 10 elegance, is not reason enough to support it.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:17 am
Chumly wrote:
Quote:
But for the Canadian government to criminalize the use of Imperial measurments.........then in 2005 to start teaching it in schools again because kids are getting all messed up, what kind of freak-show is that?

I must have missed this part of it- criminalize the use of a certain type of measurement? That seems a little over the top. I'm surprised- and I'm not being sarcastic- really surprised that what I've always taken to be kind of an easy-going, laid back sort of government like Canada's would make such an effort to standardize a system and people in a system to the point that they'd make it criminal to do something another way.

But there needn't have been any switch for the kids to get messed up with measurement. I've had kids in fourth and fifth grade - and I'm not talking learning disabled kids- I'm talking kids of normal intelligence and above- who don't know there are twelve inches in a foot. Even when I say, "Well, how many inches are there on a ruler?" they usually answer ten. And these are kids who have lived in America with our imperial measures their whole lives.
And one mom came to me and said that her twelve year old son did not know there were twelve months in a year, but it couldn't have been his fault - it was that he wasn't being taught that particular measurement.
I assured her, that at least somewhere in his seven years of schooling it had been taught- for instance, had he gone to kindergarten? Yes. Did they have circle time everyday in front of the calendar. Yes.
Does he know when his birthday is? Christmas? Summer vacation?
"Yes, of course he does", she answered.
There's a difference between someone having something taught to them and that person being willing to listen and learn it. Learning is not a passive activity.
And then I asked her if she had any calendars in her house. Yes.
Maybe she could sit down with him for twenty minutes and leaf through one.

What I'm saying is, don't take the active responsibility of learning away from these kids because of a mistake the government made. If these kids want to figure it out - most of them can- even if the schools and governement don't do their job correctly.

But again, being able to count the millimeters is another story. That's why I'm with you on the ruler and tape measure stuff.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:24 am
Calculations are much easier in metric. So are conversions.

Engineering phyics at University of Texas in 1988 always used metric units.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:25 am
http://www.manyhorses.com/images/metric%20ruler.jpg
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
Looking at that pic, sub-divisions of inches are too large if you want to get any sort of accuracy. 1mm = 0.03937inches, so your argument about divisibility of ten is a bit off, if we're talking about the measurements of some length.

If we say 3mm, then we would say approximately 1/10 inches, or if we said 0.5 inches we would say approximately 1.3cm, so I don't see why there is a problem with divisibility.
0 Replies