four flusher

lovejoy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:00 am
I heard this in an oldie movie where Lucille Ball angrily called a guy a four flusher

Where did this saying come from?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:06 am
I know that the term was a poker term. Im gonna guess that its a phrase that maybe Mark Twain invented. A four flusher is, as I recall, somebody who bluffs aflush with only four of the same suit and not five.
Get it? four hearts instead of five doesnt make a full flush, therefore the guy holds only four of he five cards needed. There may be another basis but Im gonna stick with this one as something I recall from my ... brief dalliance with extreme poker.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
so, you mean farmerman someone who is being devious?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
I suppose that's it ultimate meaning, or else someone whos a bluffer?
Im only fairly certain of its origin , not its various levels of use. Sorry, you need someone whos more knowledgeable in the use of slang terms of the 19th century.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:24 pm
FM got it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_flushing
Four Flusher is a pejorative term for a person who makes empty boasts or who continually lies.
The term four flushing traces its origins to the game of Poker during the 19th Century. Four flushing originally referred to a person who would misrepresent that they had a flush - a poker hand comprised of five cards all of one suit (hearts, spades, clubs or diamonds) - when they only had four cards of one suit.[1]
Chevy Chase used the term "four flushing!" in the 1989 film National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The term is also used by Pooter-the-Clown, actor Mike Starr, in another film Uncle Buck of the same release year. The phrase is also used in the 1967 Walt Disney version of the Jungle Book. Bagheera the panther calls Baloo the bear a four flusher. In the 1926 silent film, "The Show Off", the term "four flusher" is used by Louise Brooks to describe her next door neighbor's son-in-law.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:29 pm
OK whats my prize??
Do I get the LAmborghini??
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:09 pm
Thank you Pauligirl for a very full answer and no farmerman you dont get a Lamborghini, you can however take your pick between a slice of pizza or a pork pie Very Happy
0 Replies