How do I gain Weight? FOr a guy that is 18 years old?

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:54 pm
I need to gain some weight. I am 6'0 165 pounds really wanna gain muscle and some more fat good fat that is. I mean I have tried drinking the drink but that didn't help much. I started to eat right and such and I also tried eating junk food to get the carbs and such didn't work to much. I have a very fast metalobism I need to surpass that anyway i can do so? please suggestions I need them badly. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,937 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:02 pm
Whey protein and wieght lifting. Unless you want fat pig out every second of the day. Fast metabolism i wish i had.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:17 pm
1st of all read this http://www.fortifiediron.com/view.php?id=46 too many ppl don't understand protein and give the advice of just whey. I wrote it btw lol. eat 7 times a day (smll meals) you sound like a ectomorph like me so you need a higher carb count as well. read http://www.1fast400.com/article.php?articleID=30&aCatID=&break=0 by my buddy layne he knows his ****. also go on a powerlifting workout as I placed in the other thread.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 05:05 pm
THANKS SAFE WHAT OTHER WEB SITES CAN I READ? ON NUTRITION AND SUCH AND HOW TO WORK OUT AND WHEN AND THINGS LIKE THAT?
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 05:14 pm
www.fortifiediron.com is the best use there forums.

http://www.nutri-facts.com is good for tweaking your diet

http://www.exrx.net/ is great for understanding the movement of each exercise

http://www.sculptedbyiron.com/forum/

http://www.fitnessworld.com/info/info_pages/library/strength/strength.html
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:04 pm
thank you sooo much this helped majorly.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:08 pm
A good source of healthy fat: avacado
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 04:24 pm
yea i am eating avacado does that realy work what about carbs like bread and such and potatoes? does that work also?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:08 pm
Just wait 20 years. You'll have the opposite problem then. Enjoy it now while you can. (posting from personal experience).
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:07 am
no aee hes not talking about gaining fat weight hes talking about gaining muscle....if hes a ecto now he will be an ecto later it will only get harder but yes in 20 years he will need more cardio. you gotta understand there are good and bad carbs never eat meat and potatos togather...trust me its bad 4 the metabolism. stay with your whole grain breads. avacado can be used as a snack. candy are bad carbs and will only make you gain fat stop eating junk its not good for you. really read those sites I gave you i could set up a diet and routine for you if you would like but i need a few details just PM me.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:47 am
aightz man i will thanks for all ur help man hmm i don't eat junk food i just need to eat good in the morning any suggestions?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 03:18 am
Pasta. Lots of pasta.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
fast cooking pasta is high GI so DON'T EAT IT, normal pasta is around 70 so it is ok in moderation. When blood sugar spikes and drops it can cause you to become even more hungry... thus further overeating. Well keep in mind pasta is not bad before a workout but like I said Moderation.

1 wheat bagel
1 cup oatmeal
3 turkey sausages
3 whole eggs
1 orange

that wouldn't be a bad breakfast for you. Thing is thats only 1 part of your diet you really need to plan it all to be effective.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 01:21 am
thanks bro I will for sure try that out hard to eat in the morning man.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 12:32 am
Strength training combined with a solid diet high in nutrient-rich carbs (green leafy vegetables), a variety of protein sources (fish, meat, tofu, etc.), and medium fats (good fats!) should do the trick, but don't expect miracles at 18 with a fast metabolism.

People have given great diet advice, so I'll add some info about effective and efficient strength training, in case you want a good jump-off point without getting bombarded with too much information.

First of all, don't fall into the trap of thinking "more is better". A program focussing on a couple sets of each of some "big" exercises, followed by lots of rest, is the best way to go for adding mass. There is no need to split the body up into parts. A full-body routine will build a lot of muscle and will save you time.

Big exercises:

Lower Body - Squat, Deadlift
Upper Body pushing - Dips, Overhead Press
Upper Body pulling - Chin-ups, Row
Traps - Shrugs (Deadlifts also work traps)

You can substitute Bench press for dips and pull-downs for chin-ups, but no need to do both.

Small exercises (to be avoided until you have substantial muscle mass!): tricep kickbacks, pushdowns, preacher curls, leg extensions, and so on.

In general, "big" = multi-joint; ie. exercises where more than one joint is employed (bench press: shoulder and elbow; squat: hip, knee), "small" = single-joint.

A sample program:

Pick a push, a pull, a lower body exercise and shrugs, and you have:

Full Body Workout:
(warmup sets not included; the work sets below should be a challenging weight for you)

Chinup - 2x8
Dip - 2x8
Shrug - 2x10
Squat - 2x10

Do this 3 times a week, slowly increasing the weight each week. When the weight gets heavy for you, drop to twice a week. You should finish each workout in about 30-45 minutes. This program could last you a year or more without any changes.

Perform the exercises in a controlled manner. Don't ever let gravity take over when lowering the weight (or your body in chins/dips). Have someone knowledgeable help you with your form, especially squats. Start light and take your time adding weight, but do progress over time.

And eat lots!
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 07:35 pm
when trying to gain mass never take reps over 8 at 18 you should be able to gain mass but not as fast as when your around 25 believe it or not. as mezzie said compound exercises are best also don't overlook ANYTHING make sure your doing compounds which incorperate all aspects of your body.
0 Replies