Tae Guk Gi

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:46 pm
My husband openly wept close to the end of this movie.

I have never seen such a powerful, well constructed movie about the Korean war.

Has anyone else seen this movie?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 654 • Replies: 3
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 11:00 pm
My 2 disc set sits proudly on my DVD shelf and is a fine example of the horror,futility and tragedy of war,as seen through the eyes of 2 brothers who,eventually,take different sides.The English title is The Brotherhood.

P.S.
I had tears on my cheeks as well Cool .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:52 am
I was wondering if anyone else saw that movie :wink:

My husband and I were talking about it again last night and I tried to compare it to an american version 'saving private ryan'

We both agreed almost immediately that private ryan was NOTHING like this one. Saving Private Ryan was more of a glamorizing attempt at making war look like an emotional feel good event.

It was a very.. 'american' point of view that until I saw this, Letters from Iwo Jima, and something else.. I have forgotten.. I did not recognize the emotion that the american movies put to war.

War is not pretty. People lose their sanity. They see people they know and kill them. Sometimes people they know try to kill them. People are slaughtered for no reason ( remember his wife to be..)

I wish that all movies that depicted war were as real and as gritty as that one. No more glamorizing. No more feel good war movies. Tell it like it is.

Having said that.. that movie was beautiful. I do not remember who did the cinematography but.. WOW..

I can say many good things about that movie..
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:12 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
War is not pretty. People lose their sanity. They see people they know and kill them. Sometimes people they know try to kill them. People are slaughtered for no reason

Sadly that's just what's happening in Iraq and Kenya right now. But let's not get political.I don't want to turn this thread into "the most grisley war film ever seen" but may I recommend Idi i smotri (Come and See),a russian point of view on the German invasion in WW2.
0 Replies