Sobig virus

roger

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 06:35 pm
Found this on my home page of yahoo. Little k mentioned it, but it may have become buried. So, for what it's worth. . . .

Today's tip: VIRUS ALERT - W32.Sobig.F@mm is a mass-mailing, network-aware worm that sends itself to all the email addresses it finds in certain files on your PC. If you receive a message with an attachment with a .pif or .src extension, we strongly suggest you scan it before downloading. The message may appear to be from someone you know
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 09:18 am
That virus managed to breech the firewall on my university's system. It sent dozens of emails, some of which bounced back (that's how we knew it was there) but did no damage other then leaving a lot of junk to delete,
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 09:34 am
I'd be willing to bet that your mail filter wasn't configured to delete the attachment. Firewall had nothing to do with it.

Similar thing happened with the Blaster virus earlier in the week. Most firewalls were configured to block that RPC port, however, the virus snuck in through VPN connections.
0 Replies