Screenwriting Question

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:13 pm
I had a question about the legality of writing a screenplay based on an idea another company had. My question is this:

Do I need permission from the company to write a screenplay based on one of their old Television shows or can I write the screenplay first and pitch it to them after it is completed? I am asking because I want to write a screenplay and use all the character names and ideas from the actual show but incorporate it into a full length feature film.

On that same note, is it possible to write the screenplay, pitch it to a studio and let them deal with getting the legal rights to produce it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:24 pm
My understanding is that you have to get permission from the copyright owner before using any of their proprietary characters, plots, concepts, etc. With a television show, I imagine you would need to option the property. The cost of that would be negotiable, depending upon the show, its residual popularity and what the market will bear.

Why not write roman a clef?
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:40 pm
I think that is true for a shooting script but I don' know if it is necessary to do that for a speculation script. I guess I will have to look into it more.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
I do not know the answer to your question however I guess it dpends on how much is actually copied or whether you use the original as "inspiration"

In 2004 a movie was made in Australia about 2 men who pretended to be Gay to get financial benefits from the government, some time later an American motion picture company produced a very similar movie. I understand legal action is pending.

Strange Bedfellows is a 2004 Australian film starring Paul Hogan and Michael Caton as heterosexual men who pass themselves off as a homosexual couple in order to get financial benefits from the government. A very similar plot was later used in the American film I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, and there is some controversy that Chuck and Larry may be a clone of Strange Bedfellows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Bedfellows_(2004_film).
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:42 am
Seems to me you could write a synopsis and send it to them, but don't give them too much leeway to steal your story!
0 Replies