JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
Smile
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:45 am
JLNobody wrote:
Feellings ARE reality.
One can be logical yet wrong; one can win a debate yet no close to "the truth" than your opponent. As you can see I'm no positivist.

Your second sentence lends no support to your first.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
Yes, it does. Most of us make our opinions based on emotion, and it can be logically correct or wrong.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
They were not intended to "follow" one another--just distinct utterances.

But I see C.I.'s point.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:47 pm
its like Nietzsche says when you try to override an emotion all you are doing is overriding it with one or more other emotions.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
emotions are just shortcuts to logic
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:11 pm
Yeah, E.P. One drive just replaces (or overcomes) another.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
What philosophy means to me:

- Amusement
- Engagement
- Exercise
- Challenge

I don't necessarily expect:

- Answers
- Explanations
- Utility
- Purpose
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
in that case then, there really is no way we can escape emotional influence. we cannot completely attain that "view from nowhere". I think though, that we do need to control and restrain our emotions as much as we can, in order to see things as transparently as we can.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
existential potential wrote:
in that case then, there really is no way we can escape emotional influence. we cannot completely attain that "view from nowhere". I think though, that we do need to control and restrain our emotions as much as we can, in order to see things as transparently as we can.

It's not that simple; our ability to control our emotions is an impossible task depending on the situation. That's the reason why there can be so much conflict in the areas of religion and politics.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 04:50 pm
JLNobody wrote:
They were not intended to "follow" one another--just distinct utterances.

That's fine, but I wanted to point out that you provided no argument for your claim that "feelings are reality". This is an unsubstantiated claim, and also (I think) a false one. Reality is reality, and feelings are feelings. I feel like a sack of potatoes, but in reality I am just an ill human being.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:18 pm
EP says that "in that case then, there really is no way we can escape emotional influence. we cannot completely attain that "view from nowhere". I think though, that we do need to control and restrain our emotions as much as we can, in order to see things as transparently as we can."
I agree that the solution to emotional distortion must always be in terms of degrees, never complete or absolute. The "view from nowhere" is no more than an ideal; all views are from somewhere. I can't imagine doing anything with total disinterest. All actions are motivated, and especially within the SOCIAL sciences the most we can do is make as many assuptions and purposes explicit in order that they can be factored into our conclusions. But I agree that we should "deal" with our emotions as much as possible, but not just by suppression. We know how that can make them more dangerous.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:29 pm
Agrote says "That's fine, but I wanted to point out that you provided no argument for your claim that "feelings are reality". This is an unsubstantiated claim, and also (I think) a false one. Reality is reality, and feelings are feelings. I feel like a sack of potatoes, but in reality I am just an ill human being."

I agree. My contribution was no more than the declaration of an intuition--as solid as "Picasso's work is more beautiful than Warhol's" (which I think is correct). Feelings ARE real(ity), and, Reality is not something without content. Don't you think that your tautologies "reality is reality" and "feelings are feelings" are declarations of intuitive realization having no need for argumentative support?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
JLNobody wrote:
Don't you think that your tautologies "reality is reality" and "feelings are feelings" are declarations of intuitive realization having no need for argumentative support?

No. Taken at face value, they're just tautologies and cannot be false. But what I really meant is that feelings and reality are seperate. "Just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there." I think this claim of mine does need argumentative support, and I offered a quick example to support it: I feel like a sack of potatoes, yet in reality I am not one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
Feelings and reality are not independent experiences for the perceiver even though it may be wrong or not logical. As far as the individual is concerned, feeling supercedes logic and truth.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
Agrote, don't you think that feelings, as immediate experience, MUST be "real"? They may be "unrealistic" responses to situations, but, as C. I. notes, they are undenably real responses to situations.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:14 pm
Yes, obviously feelings happen. But they're not a reliable guide to what else happens or exists. When I say, "just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there", I don't mean that the feeling itself might not be "there". I mean that whatever object you think the feeling is a response to, is not necessarily there. The easiest example is that, just because theists feel the presence of God, that does not indicate that God is present. The feeling that God is present is a real feeling, but it is not felt in response to a real God.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
Agreed. My point, I think, is that feelings are, existentially, more basic than logic, or even thought in general. The full life, to me, is a life of strong feeling. Hence the critical importance of art and social intimacy.
So glad I am not an unfeeling but logical thinking machine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 01:45 pm
JLNobody wrote:
So glad I am not an unfeeling but logical thinking machine.
It's unsurprising you would feel that way however that's no assurance you are correct. Turing's views are relevant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 01:48 pm
If feelings were not important to human life, life probably would have very little value except survival.
0 Replies