Describe how you use the site

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:51 am
I use fembots to crawl the site while I polish my guns.

Really, I do exactly what Craven does.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:15 am
Re: Describe how you use the site
Craven de Kere wrote:
Please describe your typical use pattern of the site. I will be using this to help develop a more usable interface for the next version of able2know.

For example, here is my use pattern:

- I start at http://www.able2know.org/forums/
- I login using the header link
- I click Your posts
- I open the topics with new posts in a new browser tab and read/reply to them
- I click New Posts if I have time and open the topics that catch my eye in a new browser tab.

My previous use pattern used to rely almost only on the "New Posts" grid, but that was when I had time to keep up with it. I don't use email updates at all. I will occasionally use search by text or search by username but this is atypical.

How do you use Able2Know? How do you organize the threads you follow? Please describe your typical use as specifically as possible.

My pattern of use is exactly the same as yours.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:34 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I open, go to your posts then new posts. pretty basic.

I rarely concur with BPB, but in this case I do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:35 am
roger wrote:
New Posts first. That's usually as far as I go. Once every week or so, I will check out "Your Topics" to see if I owe someone an answer.

I do not use "Your Posts" at all. The top of the list is mostly populated with threads that I haven't had interest in for some time.

From time to time, I will use "Search", but it isn't often productive.

This describes me to a "T."
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:00 am
flyboy804 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I open, go to your posts then new posts. pretty basic.

I rarely concur with BPB, but in this case I do.

Same here. (I'm a Luddite; I didn't even know I could do all that other stuff...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:11 am
I have a bookmark for able 2 know . org

I select that and I always leave myself logged in.

From there I pick new posts

Then I scroll through the new posts and read topics.

-IF-
I posted somewhere and I do not see it in new topics, I will resort to 'Your posts'
But for me, your posts/topics is rarely used outside of that type of an occasion.

-IF-
I am having computer problems and I can not keep an internet connection long enough to get through new posts, or I close the page by accident, or any number of other things that cause the new posts count to reset I will return to the site and use At a Glance.

Other then that, I rarely use anything else except the Search feature.

Getting to the shopping portal is a bit of a hassle to me. But that very well could be that I am going through my ass to get to my elbow. I can get there none the less..

I think I have used Unanswered posts option tow or three times in the years I have been here. Once was to delete an unanswered post of my own, the other was out of curiosity.

I looked at Usergroups when I first signed up on A2k... never since then.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:16 am
BBB
I have the A2K Forum Index bookmarked in My Favorites, so I go directly there and stay logged in.

I click Your posts and respond to any that interest me. I also would like to be able to delete old posts from that list that no longer interest me.

I then click on New posts and open any topics that interest me, and look for a topic I plan to post to see if someone else has already posted it to avoid duplication.

I rarely use the Unanswered posts click.

I don't use email updates at all. When I first joined A2K, I used them but they drove me nuts and I stopped all of them. From time to time an old one will pop up and I reset and delete them.

I like the PM updates because that's the only time I look at that heading.

I nearly always use the spellcheck when posting. Sometimes I forget to and after posting, I discover a misspelling or typo. I wish the edit at any time was restored so I could correct those booboos. The lack of ability to edit after a reply has been posted means my booboos remain uncorrected. Embarrassed

I often use search by text or search by username for more efficient use, duplication avoidance, and for retrieving old posts of mine and other posters.

I click on the Portal and go to recipes whenever I want a recipe for my own use or to provide information to other posters. That's about the only portal site I use.

I use the Image click often to post images.

I use the bold and italic clicks most often to separate my comment from another's article. I use, but rarely, the Underline, type size and color options when appropriate.

I use the Quote click frequently in response to another poster. I usually only repeat a specific portion of the quote and get annoyed when other posters repost an entire article, which just wastes space.

I use the Emoticons when I want to clarify my post.

I almost never respond to ads on A2K and usually ignore them.

I love A2K. Thank you Craven and Jespah.

BBB
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:53 am
It's interesting to see how everyone navigates here. I never realized there were so many possible variations.

I have the Forum Index bookmarked. I stay logged in.

I start with forums of interest, checking out what's new.

Then Unanswered, then Your Posts, then New Posts if I have time.

I use Search fairly often. I almost never use Your Topics or At a Glance. I don't use email updates at all.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:02 am
One thing that I forget about is the portal. There are so many portals these days, and I'm a member of several organizations that offer them and associated discounts. Do other people use A2K's portal much? Crap, does it even exist any longer?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:04 am
I can honestly say I am consistently inconsistent. I don't have a set way of navigating the site. SpellCheck? I can't use it because if I try, I get a black box.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:05 am
cjhsa wrote:
One thing that I forget about is the portal. There are so many portals these days, and I'm a member of several organizations that offer them and associated discounts. Do other people use A2K's portal much? Crap, does it even exist any longer?
On the "Home" page is the portal.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
I have a link on my desktop to the A2K Home page. Unless A2K is having a glitch, I almost never have to log in, as I never log out.

I click on "View posts since last visit", and check those.

Once in awhile I will check on "Your Posts" if I am looking for something in particular. Rarely, I will click on "Your Topics". The only time when I access "At a Glance" is when I inadvertently closed A2K and lose all those posts that I have not seen.

I ask for E Mails rarely, which is interesting because on Abuzz, I used the E Mails almost exclusively. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that in the early days I had dial-up, and did not have the time or the inclination to wait for everything to load.

I think that I probably use more emoticons than most. I believe that the reason that I do this is that I have a propensity for taking things literally, so I suppose I am careful to let people know if I am being sarcastic, or really mean what I am writing, etc.

I find the search button helpful for accessing a particular member's posts, but almost useless for finding a specific thread or post.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:19 am
i stay logged in on the New Posts page, but i rely heavily on e-mail updates... and to a lesser extent Your Posts & Your Topics.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:29 am
I noticed that some people mentioned the portal. I never use the portal.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
me neither, but i do use the Amazon button on the home page...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:32 am
- I am always logged in unless there is some glitch.
- the New Posts page is on my browser toolbar and that is my first stop
- I sometimes look at the first page of New Posts first but usually go right for the last page and work back.
- if some dumb thing has happened and my New Posts is down to, say, six posts, I go to At a Glance. Since I hardly ever miss more than a few days at a2k, this method works easily for me. If I were gone for weeks, I'd probably check out individual forums via the Forum Index as an overall survey of what I had missed.
- Once in a while I check My Topics as a shortcut, or Search to find a recipe or other subject matter.
- Occasionally I go to the Home Page to check out Amazon.
- I long ago checked no updates, but get some on old threads, and get them for pms (I don't know how to change that, doubt it is presently possible).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:33 am
Bookmark for A2K- automatic log in.
Click Your Posts and read and respond to any of those threads that interest me
Check New Posts for anything that interests me and respond if I find threads I like.

Rarely use search, as it doesn't work well.
Don't have email notifications
Don't use At a Glance
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:34 am

I go to New Posts, look through them oldest to newest.

Never use Your Posts (don't think I realized it was there).

Use Your Topics to find the rainforest threads (I keep forgetting what forum they're in, so the forum index doesn't help me).

Used to use Search fairly regularly, but the 2008 glitch means I've reverted to searching A2K through Google.

Don't use email updates at all.

Occasionally poke through Unanswered.

Use At A Glance when the site or my ISP are wobbly.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:12 pm
Re: Describe how you use the site
Craven de Kere wrote:

For example, here is my use pattern:

- I start at http://www.able2know.org/forums/
- I login using the header link
- I click Your posts
- I open the topics with new posts in a new browser tab and read/reply to them
- I click New Posts if I have time and open the topics that catch my eye in a new browser tab.

- yes
- yes
- yes (+ see if I have any PM)
- yes (but in same browser tab)
- yes (" " ") and only if I have time

plus: occasionally look into "unanswered"
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:23 pm
I enter "a" on the address line and get to a2k. I don't have to log in.

I check Your Posts first. I then check At a Glance.

I sometimes go through Your Topics if I need something from an old post.

I use Search only if I'm looking for something very specific.

I don't use e-mail updates.
0 Replies