A (good) logic argument against God

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:00 am
Yeah, but I don't consider myself a fundamentalist.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:03 am
neologist wrote:
Yeah, but I don't consider myself a fundamentalist.

Sorry about that then. It was just the A&E stuuf, you know.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
If you study the derivations of the names Adam and Eve, it becomes clear that they could just have easily been named 'man' and 'mother'.

So, do I believe we had a first father and mother? Yep.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:13 am
neologist wrote:
If you study the derivations of the names Adam and Eve, it becomes clear that they could just have easily been named 'man' and 'mother'.

So, do I believe we had a first father and mother? Yep.

And their children?
Are we all inbred or what?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:16 am
If Adam and Eve had been perfect, as the bible asserts, then familial intermarriage would not have had the negative effects it has today.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:18 am
neologist wrote:
If Adam and Eve had been perfect, as the bible asserts, then familial intermarriage would not have had the negative effects it has today.

If they were perfect why did they eat the "apple"?
At what point did we become imperfect? perfect parents have perfect children have perfect grndchildren...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:29 am
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:

At what point did we become imperfect? perfect parents have perfect children have perfect grndchildren...
Another question might relate to the one called Satan:

If he was perfect, why would he incite the rebellion?

Can you spell 'free will'?
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 03:20 pm
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:

avoiding my question with a question of your own, ay.
Where does it say in the Bible that Satan was perfect? I thought that he was kicked out of heaven, therefore not perfect.
And anyways what is 'perfect'? How can something be 'perfect'?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 09:09 pm
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Where does it say in the Bible that Satan was perfect? I thought that he was kicked out of heaven, therefore not perfect.
Not kicked out of heaven right away. He was still there during the time of Job.

Do you wish to digress from the thread for a discussion of the word 'perfect' or would you just accept the fact that the bible claims God and his creations to be perfect and argue about the truth of the statement later?
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:21 pm
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Not kicked out of heaven right away. He was still there during the time of Job.

Do you wish to digress from the thread for a discussion of the word 'perfect' or would you just accept the fact that the bible claims God and his creations to be perfect and argue about the truth of the statement later?

Sure, I'll start a new post.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:00 am
A101,
I'm a bit ahead of you - already identified the flaw.

Good posts though.
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
Re: A (good) logic argument against God
aperson wrote:
1) God, by definition, is omnipotent.

2) God, by definition, is completely good.

3) Omnipotence means (among other things) that one is capable of being good and evil.

Therefore, if God is omnipotent then he must be capable of being good and evil, but God is only capable of being good.

Ergo,
a) God, by definition, doesn't exist.
b) God isn't omnipotent, therefore God isn't by definition God, therefore God, by definition, doesn't exist.
c) God isn't completely good, therefore God isn't by definition God, therefore God, by definition, doesn't exist.

I've checked over it and it seems sound - the downfall of most logic arguments is that one statement or assumption is false or not entirely true.

Statement 1 is unarguable, by any means. Note that whether omnipotence includes the capability to do logically impossible things (God lifting the rock comes to mind) is irrelevant.

Statement 2 is unarguable, by any means. Both statements 1 and 2 are flawless - theologians, theists and atheists alike accept omnipotence and complete goodness as part of what God is.

Therefore the fault, if there is one, must lie in Statement 3. I cannot find it - omnipotence means the ability to do anything, which obviously includes evil things.

I cannot find a fault, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch - by all means, rip this argument apart, if you can.

(Note, I fully expect theists to come up with some daft rationalization, because to them, God must exist, and so they try to find ways for him to exist, instead of thinking that maybe God doesn't exist.)

Continue.

Define good, thanks.
0 Replies