If we are already programmed, how can God judge us?

neologist

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:18 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
You are being silly Neo. If I had stopped at verse 15, you would have asked me why I didn't continue with verse 16.

Read the whole chapter... it is very clear that the serpent in this story refers to an animal who was part of the creation. It says as much in verse one and God addresses the animal as an animal in verses 15 and 16. There is nothing to indicate that the serpent here was an immortal supernatural being.
Verse 16 is prophetic and refers to Jesus' sacrifice and the eventual destruction of Satan. But hey, if you think it was written as Old MacDonald's farm . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:41 pm
Terry wrote:
Ebrown_p, I don't think that there is anything you can do to make programs conscious. Consciousness seems to require brain structures that I don't think can be duplicated by electronics, at least not yet. It's the difference between watching a real-time graph of you labor contractions and feeling the pain before vs after getting an anesthetic. For you men, imagine watching an EKG of your heart versus feeling your it thump in your chest.

Terry,

The initial question on this thread is whether it is "moral" for a creator to condemn his own creations. I would like to avoid getting too far afield... but I guess this is relevant.

If I understand the argument... it is OK for me, as creator, to destroy my creations (programs) in any way I see fit. However, it is not OK for God, as creator, to dispose of his creations.

The argument depends on this notion that humans feel pain that programs can never feel.

This argument doesn't make sense.

But... pain is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction that was designed to increase our chance of survival. There is nothing mystical about pain.

You are letting your empathy get in the way. This is problematic because empathy is also just an electrochemical reaction that was designed to increase our chance of survival.

There is no reason that I should have empathy for my creations. I can choose to care.. but I have no moral obligation to care.

I think it is the same with God. He gave us pain because it is important for our survival... and he gave us empathy. God may choose to care about us, but he (as creator) has no obligation to care at all for us (his creations).

Note that I am saying that God doesn't have to care... not that he doesn't care (this is an important difference).

By the way... the Apostle Paul says this much in the Bible.

The Apostle Paul in Romans 9 wrote:

What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' " Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:53 pm
Ok everyone, this discussion can't go any further, because we are thinking on different dimensions - I don't believe in free will, you do. That's really what it comes down to.

Me- Decisions = Nature + Nurture

You- Decisions = Nature + Nurture + Free Will

Note: Nurture includes anything external to the self

I'm opting to pull out because to convince you of my view, I'd have to convince you that there is no free will - a task nigh on impossible.

And sorry for the confusion, fishin - I thought that name was a subtitle for the episode. By the way, mine is a theory, made in it's own right. Yours is a theory, design especially to support the existence of God.

Though, e_brown, you have me stoked. One of my beliefs is that we are not truly alive, and that nothing is really alive (or everything is alive). Therefore humans are no more conscious than a program with the same intelligence. So your comparison is plausible, but it would make God an imperfect being, among other things.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:12 am
aperson wrote:
One of my beliefs is that we are not truly alive, and that nothing is really alive (or everything is alive).

Perhaps you watched 'The Matrix' once too often.

btw if man is no more alive than a rock or a cup of water, then on what basis do you object to crime (i.e. murder, etc) against persons but not against inanimate objects such as rocks?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:05 am
Sigh.

That reminds me.

Did I ever tell you about the time my pet rock ran off with Mrs. Potato Head?

Sad.

Very sad.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:25 pm
real life,

The Matrix is actually extremely philosophical (you'll be pleased to know that it contains many allusions to Christianity, though you probably already do.)

Well anarchy is nice but I do prefer being able to walk in the street without being stabbed, shot or strangled...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:34 am
Any play, movie, book etc that contains a 'good vs evil' scenario can be said to contain allusions to Christianity.

You'd be amazed at the way some will stretch a plot in an effort to market it to Christians.

Your POV, other than showing a total disconnect with reality, also indicates your confusion.

'nothing is really alive (or everything is alive)'

C'mon, can't you make up your mind (although both are nonsense) ?

But if you truly believe it, then an answer to my question would be interesting (not that I think you really will answer).
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:13 am
I answered your question. "Well anarchy is nice but I do prefer being able to walk in the street without being stabbed, shot or strangled..."
Maybe you didn't get the sarcasm. I object to crime for obvious reasons.

I'm a nihilist and materialist. Nothing means anything to me, UNLESS (here's the important bit) I create meaning. I'm not confused. Everything and nothing are far more related than everything and something, or nothing and something.

Life is a creation of man, real life. A good comparison is the word "planet." It's doesn't have automatically defined divisions - we invent them. It's not a "natural" concept, if you get my gist. It's "artificial" - we invented the concept of "planet" just as we invented the concept of "life".

And please trust me on this one, real life. I'm not opposing you. Don't reject my info just because your beliefs are different to mine. The Matrix is saturated with philosophy and spirituality. Let's leave it at that. If you really want I could provide some examples, though I haven't watched the movie in a while.

Understanding before judgement.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
neologist wrote:
aperson wrote:
If we are already programmed, how can God judge us?

Answer:

When Adam and Eve were created, they had only one moral choice: whether or not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.

Now this explanation will no doubt bring much caterwauling and sophomoric sputtering - - But.

Adam and Eve chose to follow their own course of action and make moral decisions on their own.

Didn't work out too well, as it turns out.

i forgot i was on the religion forum, good grief, adam and eve? well since the first humans were apes looks like the tree of life is in africa right? lets go search for it since it exists for sure, since god wrote the bible it must be true.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
OGIONIK,

I've been quoted I feel so flattered.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:43 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The initial question on this thread is whether it is "moral" for a creator to condemn his own creations. I would like to avoid getting too far afield... but I guess this is relevant.

If I understand the argument... it is OK for me, as creator, to destroy my creations (programs) in any way I see fit. However, it is not OK for God, as creator, to dispose of his creations.

The argument depends on this notion that humans feel pain that programs can never feel.

This argument doesn't make sense.

The initial question was whether it is moral for a creator to condemn his self-aware creations for being imperfect, when he is the one who created each and every gene that determined how their brains functioned, and controlled all of the the knowledge and experiences that contributed to their behavior.

It is unethical to punish people for things for which they are not responsible.

A program doesn't "care" what you do to it. It doesn't agonize over its eventual demise and eternal fate. It doesn't feel pain. But we do. And that matters to us.

Quote:
But... pain is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction that was designed to increase our chance of survival. There is nothing mystical about pain.

You are letting your empathy get in the way. This is problematic because empathy is also just an electrochemical reaction that was designed to increase our chance of survival.

There is no reason that I should have empathy for my creations. I can choose to care.. but I have no moral obligation to care.

I think it is the same with God. He gave us pain because it is important for our survival... and he gave us empathy. God may choose to care about us, but he (as creator) has no obligation to care at all for us (his creations).

Note that I am saying that God doesn't have to care... not that he doesn't care (this is an important difference).

Of course an omnipotent God can do whatever he likes, whether or not we think it is just. Who's going to stop him? But it is not ethical to cause unnecessary pain to any sentient being, especially if you are punishing them for something that is ultimately your fault, not theirs.

God created the situation and failed to give Adam and Eve the moral resources to make the decision he required of them. God lied to them, the serpent told them the truth, and God punished them and all of their descendents for choosing knowledge over ignorance. That wasn't fair.

It is unethical to punish people for sins they didn't commit.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:33 am
Dammit I've been unquoted.

The problem with the "programmer" theory is that it is incompatible with the Christian God. It indicates that God is imperfect (he makes mistakes) and does not care for us. No theist believes in that (obviously because they don't want to.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 05:59 am
Terry wrote:
. . . God created the situation and failed to give Adam and Eve the moral resources to make the decision he required of them. God lied to them, the serpent told them the truth, and God punished them and all of their descendents for choosing knowledge over ignorance. That wasn't fair.

It is unethical to punish people for sins they didn't commit.
If we are to believe your asseveration, then the God who created us with the capacity for love and compassion lacked those qualities in himself.

How do you spell BS?
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:38 pm
Re: If we are already programmed, how can God judge us?
I know this quote is from ages ago but what the hell:

Quote:

You used the word "programmed" which is interesting. I happen to be a programmer.

Sometimes I make a program that is very good. It does what it is supposed to, and is elegant as well. There are some designs that I am quite pleased with.

At other times, I have an idea that turns into a design that has no right to exist. This could be because I didn't think of a problem with my solution before I started writing the program. Or I could have just had an off day.

When I write a bad program, I either just abandon it, or I delete it completely. These programs don't have any right to complain (and I have no responsibility to listen to their complaints).

The fact that I am a good programmer doesn't mean that I will think all of my works are worth it.

I love the metaphor as a programmer myself but I must disagree.
I too write shocking programs as a "creator" of sorts but when I delete/archive them I do not blame them for being bad. I blame myself. Also I do not imagine of sending them to same C++ hell where all their little for loops are ripped from their scrawny main.c file or where their include files are taken away leaving them utterly useless. I am not punishing them when I delete them I am removing files. Imagine they were sentinent beings My recycle bin would be a paradise not a firey death-trap.

Anyways.

Neologist
(I could quote but so many choices)
I find it sick you believe that if A&E had not taken an apple from a tree we would be living in a magical garden with unicorns and happy animals
that could probably talk:
*pull out bible*
*blows off the dust*
Ahem
Quote:

Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more crafty than any other wild animal that the LORD God had made. He said to the Woman "Did God say, 'You shall not eat from any tree in the garden''"

Ergo: Talking animals.

Anyway. That is the behaviour I expect from a 5 year old not ... oh wait. You are older than... nevrmind.

Aperson
I believe that no events are predicided. Our actios ARE based on genes but I believe in a random factor as well that cannot be detirmined. Sort of like quantum physics.
I believ that free wil is what makes us human. But that is not a thing that God has given us because of some event with an apple.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:46 pm
Atheist101 wrote:
Anyways.

Neologist
I find it sick you believe that if A&E had not taken an apple from a tree we would be living in a magical garden with unicorns and happy animals
*pull out bible*
*blows off the dust*
Ahem
Quote:

Now the serpent was more crafty than any other wild animal that the LORD God had made. He said to the Woman "Did God say, 'You shall not eat from any tree in the garden''"

Anyway. That is the behaviour I expect from a 5 year old not ... oh wait. You are older than... nevrmind.
Unicorns, eh?

And talking animals rather than animals who appear to talk?

Straw men, both.

Your attempts at intellectualism are a hoot.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:10 pm
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
Anyways.

Neologist
*pull out bible*
*blows off the dust*
Ahem
Quote:

Unicorns, eh?

Straw men, both.

Yes. Of course.
The animals just "appear" to talk. Your attempts at justifying your beliefs are funny too.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:11 am
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
Anyways.

Neologist
*pull out bible*
*blows off the dust*
Ahem
Quote:

Unicorns, eh?

Straw men, both.

Yes. Of course.
The animals just "appear" to talk. Your attempts at justifying your beliefs are funny too.
There are many references in the bible to the identity of the one who spoke with Eve. If you believe it was actually an animal, you haven't comprehended the story.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:00 am
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Atheist101 wrote:
Anyways.

Neologist
*pull out bible*
*blows off the dust*
Ahem
Quote:

Unicorns, eh?

Straw men, both.

Yes. Of course.
There are many references in the bible to the identity of the one who spoke with Eve. If you believe it was actually an animal, you haven't comprehended the story.

I love the way christians take some parts of the Bible as (excuse the pun) Gospel truth. And other parts to be completely metaphorical. So what is it. You say that there was an Eve, an Adam, A tree and so on. But now you say that it's metaphorical.
And yes. I believe that Genisis is metaphorical from start to finish. No Eve, no Adam, and no Snake devil.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
The bible is not a scientific treatise, nor was it intended to be. It is a book that explains God's purpose to agrarian man and modern man alike. Because it was composed to be understood by even the unlettered and ordinary, it often becomes a trap to those who are educated and 'intelligent'. As such, it provides ready license for those who would prefer to not recognize God's right to set standards for his creation.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
neologist wrote:
The bible is not a scientific treatise, nor was it intended to be. It is a book that explains God's purpose to agrarian man and modern man alike. Because it was composed to be understood by even the unlettered and ordinary, it often becomes a trap to those who are educated and 'intelligent'. As such, it provides ready license for those who would prefer to not recognize God's right to set standards for his creation.

So, correct me if I am wrong, you are saying everyting in the Bible can be taken as it is read. (For those less intelligent than ourselves). Or that everyting is metaphorical and simplified for the masses.
0 Replies