U2 at the Imax in 3D

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 02:11 am
I must confess that I've never been a huge U2 fan.Quickly scanning the CD shelf I can only find The Joshua Tree.But,after reading THIS I know where I'm gonna be on Feb 21st !
Quoting from the latest BFI Southbank Guide......."For over 25 years,U2 have been recognised for not only for their musical invention,but for their incomparable gift for reaching millions of fans through new technologies.This stunning new film immerses viewers in an extraordinary multi-sensory cinematic journey.It's a quantum leap beyond traditional concert films,in the first ever all-live,all-digital 3D experience.Filmed during the South American leg of the band's 'Vertigo' tour,it captures the band's explosive performances and is not to be missed."
The sound system at the Imax is the best I have ever heard.Really looking forward to this Very Happy .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 696 • Replies: 2
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 08:07 pm
I expected to be impressed with the IMAX picture and sound,but having never seen U2 live,I didn't know what to expect,other than what I've heard over the years on CD or radio.
First the good bits........From a "non-fan" point of view I now understand why this band has been so popular over the years.Bono was in extremely fine form,as shown during his Italian aria bit;The Edge proves himself a more than competent ax-man;Adam Clayton,as always,the minimalist bass player and Larry Mullen is a great beats man.
Sometimes,during the film(concert),we're with the audience,clapping,jumping about,taking pics on our mobiles etc;at times it seems that the folks sitting in front of you are doing this.Then,when on stage,we're standing next to,looking down on,or looking over the shoulder of a member of the band,looking out to the vast sea which is the audience.
Unlike most other 3D films,U2 3D does not use silly 3D effects just to impress.Now and again a guitar neck or mic stand pops out but it isn't done for effect.Whatever scene is shown,a full depth of field is achieved.

Now the bad bit........This film must be seen standing up! But due to health and safety regs,what chance of that!
During the film I wanted to stand up,jig about,clap and sing along as I would normally do at a live gig.But I was in a cinema,where I had to behave myself.The best I could do was tap my foot,beat out a rythum with my finger on my knee and nod my head and sing along in a very quiet voice.

History has been made.All other concerts before this are flat(sorry for the pun).The IMAX guys have shown just what can be done.The question is how many other bands can afford this lavish production?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 09:50 pm
Sounds awesome. Not playing here right now, I'll keep checking Imax's site.

I do like U2, but it would be cool if they did the same for a band that's not around anymore...Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, ect. I've seen U2 in concert, but can't see Zeppelin, unless they decide to tour beyond the show in London.
0 Replies