Project Chanology: Anonymous vs. Scientology

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:05 pm
So a bunch of hackers are picking a fight with Scientology.

Watch the vid first.

Video

This is the same "Anonymous" that Fox news has a total mad-on for.

Updates are appriciated.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,399 • Replies: 38
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:31 am
If only this were real? Is it?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:40 am
No this is seriously real. Anonymous are a group of people who don't know each other's identities. Many hackers etc. Up until now, they've been mostly just a bunch of internet jokers often circulating around 4chan.org (hense project Chanology) but recently they've come under fire by groups like Fox news etc for hacking into social networking sites.

This is a profoundly odd thing, but it is real. I thouhght it would be a fun thing to follow. I've heard they are trying to hack into Scientology servers and find secret documents and look for any shady money issues.

So odd, but real.

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:33 am
Wow, then I'll be watching as well!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 12:56 am
Found a wiki on it. interesting, and just plain odd.

http://partyvan.info/index.php/Project_Chanology

T
K
O
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:42 am
Wow... the crusades have resurfaced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of scientology, but as someone who lives with a former scientologist who was not only born IN (and I mean in... as in, literally inside) the church but also a high member of the sea org, I can tell you that most of the misunderstandings surrounding the scientology sect are due to the intense secrecy. They are a very quiet organization. They are not dangerous or violent... at least not any more than many other major religions.

the one thing that caught my attention on the chanology website was this quote:
Quote:
when we were at the church, some scifag said i should read elronhubbard's spiritual books before criticizing the churhc, so i asked him "do i need to read the koran before condemning the 9/11 attacks?"

My answer to that would be a firm "yes." To fully understand the deviant nature of militant religious groups, you must first investigate their motivation. It is no different with scientology. Before you condemn them because of Tom Cruise, at least read about it. The Qu'ran is not a violent book. The militant interpretation of the terrorist Moslems IS violent. Its no different than the different christian interpretations of the bible. For cripes sake, we have militant southern baptists supporting killing all the "sand n---ers" in the middle east because they aren't white and they make gasoline expensive. Is that any different than other militancy?

But what I find most disturbing about that quote is that Middle East terrorism had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks. That chanology site seems to be remarkably conservative in their viewpoint; attacking the unknown while refusing to investigate their motives.

To condemn a group without reading their fundamentals is like hating broccoli without tasting it. I call BS. Its another pseudo-religous, punk-nerd group who have recently become disenchanted with organized religion and are responding to the hollywood hype surrounding scientology. Combine that with the anonymity of the internet and you have nothing more than an internet mafia.

I don't dig scientology, but I don't dig any organized religion. Its no more a danger than any other organized faith so I say let it run its course. As a society, we'll either crawl out of our organized-religion dungeon, or we'll drop off the face of the earth like billions of other species that have been succeeded over the millenia.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
nice find.

I have no money on either horse, I just thought it was an interesting anomoly in the world of religion.

T
K
O

P.s. - I hate the language that 4chan'ers use. Wildly ignorant.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:39 pm
It's hard to see the difference between a religion and a cult.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:58 pm
I don't know much about Scientology, other than my mom read L. Ron Hubbards first book back in the 1970's. She didn't become a Scientologist. Laughing

Katy's pretty damn hot though.

This, however, is just friggin weird.

https://www.rtc.org/home.html
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
The problem with the Scientology/ Islam metaphor is that Islam makes its teachings readily and freely available; Scientology does not. As far as I'm concerned, if the Church of Scientology wants to be considered a religion, they need to stop acting like a business.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:11 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, if the Church of Scientology wants to be considered a religion, they need to stop acting like a business.

Uh... they're all businesses. The catholic church is the single largest world economy; greater than china, japan, US, or switzerland. Its all big business.

The only difference is that other churches reveal a public side. The beaurocracy and politics of it are 90% and they are hidden. The pope doesn't publish his daily schedule. The 10% that is open to the public is all that's different. Some religions are more private than others.
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
No, that isn't the only difference. You can be a catholic and not give money to the church. You can look into Islam without paying a fee. CoS will not allow you to even know what their basic beliefs are until you buy in. That's not a religion, that's a business.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:21 pm
In my opinion, although there are some differences, scientology is just another misguided business parading around as a religion. Somebody is getting rich, somebody is getting killed, and somebody thinks they're getting saved. But to say that scientology is the only religion killing people and then covering it up would be pretty naive.

In the end, they're all pretty viscious death machines that supress truth for financial gain, so I kinda lump them all together.

I fear that this Anonymous group may be unfairly singling out one religion when all of them fit this basic profile to some extreme.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
It funny to hear someone complain about Scientology's secrets.....but not mention any of the Vatican's secrets.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:54 am
Especially since the book Dianetics is a How To manual to perform Dianetic Therapy. One need not spend another dime beyond the purchase of the book.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:16 pm
Reading back I see that, as usual, those clamoring the loudest; have no idea what they're talking about. What is it about people that make them feel qualified to judge material they haven't yet read?
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
Don't know what I'm talking about? Look into Operation Snow White, Operation Freakout, Lisa McPherson, Fair Game, dead agenting, Heber Jentzsch, The Queen v. Church of Scientology of Toronto, et al., the Cult Awareness Network, or Noah Lottick. There is a reason so many countries, including Belgium, Russia, Canada, Greece, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom refuse to grant the Church of Scientology tax-exempt status.

maporsche, the wrongdoings of the Vatican do not justify the wrongdoings of the Church of Scientology.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 04:47 pm
The vatican's desicions are discussed quite frequently on these boards. It's an interesting topic without making broad connections to other religions etc.

T
K
O
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:46 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
You can look into Islam without paying a fee. CoS will not allow you to even know what their basic beliefs are until you buy in. That's not a religion, that's a business.
This is utter nonsense. Anyone who read even the first chapter of Dianetics would know better. It is a how-to book, for crying out loud. Whether or not you wish to join a church or pay a tithe is unlikely to come up before one reads the damn book. Further; and I'll try my best to paraphrase L. Ron Hubbard from 2 decades ago; "the only way the printed word has any effect on you; is if you believe it".

I'm not much into burning books, myself.
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:59 pm
At this point, I feel I should clarify myself. I am not against Dianetics (well, I disagree with the process, but I don't think it needs to be abolished). I am against the Church of Scientology. I thought I had made that clear, evidently I hadn't.
0 Replies