If you are thinking of writing memoir...

Miklos7

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:00 am
In the February 2008 issue of "The Sun," I found this wonderful quotation from Susan B. Anthony, which could be great advice for anyone thinking of writing memoir or autobiography:

"Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit, and simply never leave."

Wow! Maybe it is not so much obvious events but rather subtle and powerful shifts in our vision that form our most important personal narrative.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,036 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:55 am
I'm betting "powerful and subtle shifts in vision" are also responsible for the best love affairs.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:12 pm
There were two really interesting examples of memoir writing (short bits) in last Sunday's New York Times. One was in the magazine, the last page, written by Martha Woodruff who reports for public radio and has written "How to Stop Screwing Up: Twelve Steps to a Real Life and a Pretty Good Time" (I'm tempted to read it just for the title). Anyway - I tried to find it on line but couldn't, so I'll retype part of it - I just think it's worthwhile . I love her voice-she's straightforward and funny- to my ear.

Quote:

"My leaving home actually began by going back there, to Greensboro, NC from Mount Holyoke College for the summer of l966. That was when my mother pretty much went off her rocker.

It wasn't really a surprise. Mother had been intermittently mentally ill for years, but since being crazy was considered unacceptable in our house, her problems hadn't been dealt with at all. Mother had "issues" with control, with sex, with emotional intimacy, with a brain that produced too much of some chemicals and not enough of others. Her problems ran rampant nad unacknowledged through my childhood, as my father was too worn down-or didn't know how-to intervene.

I was nineteen that summer, working as a teacher's aid in Head Start, trying to finish growing up. For this, it seemed, my lovely erudite mother raged at me almost nonstop. When she physically attacked my boyfriend, I'd had enough. I took my earnings- thirty bucks in cash, two hundred more in my checkbook, and got on the bus to Houston. I wanted a different life, and Houston seemed as different as I could afford.

A Greyhound bus is a honky-tonk on wheels; a rolling principality where the driver may be king, but if you're quiet the king doesn't care what you're up to. Riding one for 36 hours in the mid-60's was like living the lyrics of a Woody Guthrie song. There I was, Miss Prissy Prep School, with her thirty bucks and her paperback Trollope novel, awash in the smell of fried chicken and dirty diapers and increasingly unwashed people. I stared out the window and watched the South's underbelly roll by with its shacks and cotton fields, live oaks and bayous. This, finally, was my life.

The fifteen year old boy beside me was on his way to Mississippi for reasons he didn't want to talk about. Because he hadn't had the ritualized social dance drilled into him that I'd had drilled into me, he assumed people sitting next to each other on a bus were friends. And so we were, talking about our short lives as the dingy bus stations came and went.

That boy was the first person I told about my mother. He seemed to think no less of me for either having such a parent or for leaving her behind, but he did insist I phone home from Spartanburg so that my folks-imperfect as they were- wouldn't worry more than was unavoidable. When I ran short of cash just before he got off the bus, he lent me ten dollars. I wrote down his address and promised to send him the money.

With no seatmate to distract me, I crossed the Mississippi with my nose stuck to the window. It stayed there through Louisiana and beyond, while Trollope lay neglected in my lap. Why read when I could watch East Texas roll by?

Freedom's just another word for no pretensions left to lose. I got off the bus in Houston at midnight and checked into the cheap hotel across the street. My first job was a lunch-counter waitress. No one there cared that I spoke French or could discuss "Paradise Lost"; they just wanted their eggs...."

and it continues from there... anyway, I like it because her memories and how she recounted them made me wish I'd been on that bus with her.

The other was an essay about the author's experience with identity theft- GPS for my Lost Identity, by Laura Dave. In the last two paragraphs she speaks of how a sense of place can be as familiarizing as people or other grounding aspects of one's life. I really like what she says here:

Quote:
Maybe this is what we get in life, a few great loves: loves that return us to ourselves when we need it most. And maybe some of those loves aren't people, but places- real and adopted homes- that fill us up with light and energy and hope at moments when we feel especially tired or lost. That is the beauty of love in all its forms. We don't know when or how it is going to save us.

Which then reminded me of a quote by Sarah Orne Jewett I've always loved:
Quote:
"...the first salt wind from the east, the first sight of the lighthouse set boldly on its outer rock, the flash of a gull, the waiting procession of seaward-bound firs on an island, made me feel solid and definite again..."
-Sarah Orne Jewitt

This sense of place in memoir is always intriguing to me- as I really love description and having the ability to feel immersed in the environment that the author is or has experienced. And I think the places a writer falls in love with tell as much, if not more about that person than the people one falls in love with.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:14 pm
bookmarking
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:35 pm
Noddy24,

I think you're absolutely correct! And it occurs to me that the same shifts attract us to certain paintings that we perceive as great--the paintings that we want to visit again and again, always noticing something fresh.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:08 pm
Now, how am I to know the rest of the Martha Woodruff story? You just left me stuck in a diner in Texas. Very Happy

BM
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
Aidan,

Great examples! The vision-shift that Martha Woodruff experienced from the bus--and her fellow passenger--was really profound:

"Why read when I could watch East Texas roll by?"

I concur in your feeling about the possible pre-eminence of place when it comes to making personal connections. Sarah Orne Jewett is one of my favorite writers, because she, her characters, and I all--via her descriptive talent--connect with Maine. And, because Maine is, thankfully, neither over-populated nor over-developed, the power of its landscape and people are still there, just as was Jewett noted them over a hundred years ago. When my wife and I go on even a brief trip to a city--even a city with great museums and free live music--we still always feel the ever-positive shift of returning to Maine.

Rural life is definitely not for everyone, but I can see so much more that refreshes me in Maine than I was even vaguely aware of growing up in Washington, D.C. It's been that way ever since I was a small child. It would take my family two days by car to reach Maine for the summer--and I was restless the whole time, switching from book to book, game to game. On the morning of the third day, however, when we crossed the bridge at Portsmouth into Maine, my eyes went right to the window and stayed there until Southwest Harbor, where a lobster boat would meet us to take us to Little Cranberry Island, where I'd take off my shirt and shoes and start running along the foot paths that crisscrossed the shoreline fields. Drawing in the smells of the warm hay-grasses, the fishing bait, the firs, the salt, I was already in another gear; my inner horizon had shifted and opened.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:10 pm
Miklos wrote:
Quote:
On the morning of the third day, however, when we crossed the bridge at Portsmouth into Maine, my eyes went right to the window and stayed there until Southwest Harbor, where a lobster boat would meet us to take us to Little Cranberry Island, where I'd take off my shirt and shoes and start running along the foot paths that crisscrossed the shoreline fields. Drawing in the smells of the warm hay-grasses, the fishing bait, the firs, the salt, I was already in another gear; my inner horizon had shifted and opened.

Beautiful Miklos!
I know exactly what you mean- for me it was always coming over a particular hill in Searsport. At the crest of the hill you'd be greeted by the sight of a field of purple lupines that grew wild, seemingly right down to the edge of the blue, blue sea. That combination of purple and green against the aqua of the sea and the azure sky was just beyond any version of beauty I'd ever seen. I would catch my breath every time. I was also just amazed to see fir trees - and even blossoming apple trees (again in Searsport) right next to the ocean. I'd never seen anything like it before- and I know that I never will again- except in Maine.

Squinney- here's the rest of Martha's story:
Quote:

"It was the 60's; I considered myself a person of priniciple and art. I occupied buildings, marched for miles, lost friends to Canada and acquaintances to war, got involved in theater. I fell in love with Texas weather's lack of civility, with Houston's sqagger, with tall men who wore big hats.

My daughter, Lizzie, was born in Houston. We moved with her father to Charlottesville, Va., when she was five and she and I stayed there. While she was growing up I like to remind her that before she ever saw Mr. Jefferson's manicured city, she'd been in a hurricane, stared down giant water roaches, slept backstage and protested injustice. I'm happy and proud to say she has grown up unafraid.

Leaving home the way I did didn't fix either me or my life, but it did teach me I didn't have to stay somewhere just because the future somewhere else looked murky- something that was good to know when my first two marriages didn't work. God knows I've had plenty of rough patches since then-bouts with addiction and alcoholism, my own rounds with the family disease of depression-but nothing ever made me regret getting on the Houston bus.

I did my best to keep in touch with my parents, and I visited them occasionally. At the end of my mother's life I was able to take care of her without rancor. By then I suppose I understood we'd both done the best we could. But I put off sending the ten bucks back to that boy on the Houston bus until I finally lost his address. And that I do regret.

by: Martha Woodroof

*note - I edited this to correct the authors name - I had written Woodruff - it's Woodroof.
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:00 pm
Martha Woodroof
I am so happy to have found another really good writer. Thanks for letting us know about this.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:37 pm
Re: If you are thinking of writing memoir...
Miklos7 wrote:

Wow! Maybe it is not so much obvious events but rather subtle and powerful shifts in our vision that form our most important personal narrative.

I'm hoping you'll talk some more about this, Miklos
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:42 am
Endy,

The default setting for our vision seems to be a rather literal point-of-view. This makes sense if you think of our genetic inheritance from ancestors of only 15,000 years ago and back. In animals as well as ourselves, there is a constant superficial scanning, looking for unusual patterns--the seemingly-static crosshatching of bamboo that suddenly shifts, revealing the stripes of a moving tiger, etc.

As you have probably noticed, we do the same scanning for breaking patterns in our heads, looking among our memories. As Susan B. Anthony points out, above, the most familiar memories--graduations, funerals, Thanksgiving dinners, and other more-or-less formal occasions--tend not to be scanned intensively, because we have predictably conditioned our responses to these "big" events--and also to small, daily bits, like the fact that your best friend is a big fan of fast foods, but, unaccountably, hates hamburgers.

It tends to be the less obvious breaks that not only catch our attention but also fire our imaginations. For instance, one suddenly realizes that his uncle, always easygoing and warm, shows an agitated look in his eyes when you think you are doing him a favor by walking his dog. Once you've noticed this strange, small pattern-break, you begin to wonder why--and that search for the why is one major way that stories and memoirs are evolved.

No one knows who first said it, but, indeed, "God is in the details." And occasionally--more often, if we try to sense them--a detail of our environment will become sufficiently puzzling or evocative as to catch our attention, divert us from our habitual (and necessary) scan of the ordinary, and suggest to us that, literally and metaphorically, something much larger is alive beneath the surface. These rich details, wanting to be explored, can catch us off guard: possibly, what has happened is that they visit our mind and flag its attention because we have been thinking about something connected to it.

When an artist feels the sudden rapid expansion and growing connectedness to other events and feelings of a particular detail that is grabbing his or her attention, it's rather like a small-e epiphany. A world is opening, and to take it in, one shifts one's vision to facilitate the exciting process. The best writers have an uncanny ability to see frequently beneath the surface of life, where the most exciting connections lie. The rest of us can learn the same skill by maintaining a readiness to sense the possibilities in details. For instance, I typically observe gestures--especially the small ones, unmediated by the gesturer's consciousness--rather than a person's larger actions. The larger actions are noticed anyway, automatically. The ancient Greeks said both "Character is fate" and "In gesture is character." Why not combine these powerful views into "In gesture is fate"? Now, there's something to play with when one is writing a story or memoir!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
thanks for that Miklos

i'm seeing the world differently all the time now
0 Replies