The Pursuit of Happyness

hao

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:01 am
The film The Pursuit of Happyness has just been put on in China. Though that is one year later than the time when it was pruduced, I believe this film will draw a large Chinese audience into the cinema, for it is touching and carries so much information.

However, it is still impossible for me to figuor out the informaiton of the title. The spelling of the word happyness, to be exact.

In the film, Chris empahizes the correct spelling of the word happiness more than twice. I don't know what's the meaning of the correction. Why the director needs it? The more interesting thing is, that in the title, the director chooses the wrong spelling of the word happiness.

I think there must be some assosiation between them, I mean, the correction and the wrong spelling of the title. But what's it? Does anyone have an idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:25 am
Of the deliberate mis-spelling of the name of the film, he [Will Smith, an actor in the film] explains that the question of why brings with it a huge philosophical question. "The education of your children is everything, and for your children to be educated in a place where the people can't spell happiness - that represents the ultimate parental failure," he told US film magazine, Premiere.
hao

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:00 pm
@contrex,
So far as I know, the "Y" in happyness represents "why"; in real happiness, there is an "I". This implies that only "I" myself can bring real happiness, instead of complaining and asking for "why".
contrex

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@hao,
This took you 8 months? You disagree with the explanation of a guy who was actually an actor in the film?
0 Replies