Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
hanno wrote:
Does this mean I win?

yes.
you win for having an excellent avatar.

who is that -- cobb?
wagner?

Thanks. Yep, Cobb. A stormy life, but in the furrowed brow and easy focus - it looks like he's onto something - like the truths of the universe were revealed to him in his pursuit of excellence. Kind of like a mystic Quaker transcendental thing, but without the hindrance of the stated goal being love and harmony.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:07 pm
Chumly wrote:
hanno wrote:
Alternating Current? Just a means to an end. Is 'Universal AC' something else? Nothing can kick entropy's ass. The act of kicking an ass is inherently chaotic.
No in this case the "Universal AC" is not a reference to alternating current. It is a reference to an Asimovian short kicking entropy's ass.

Wow - really weird. Seems like it's just adding more energy/matter though - no mention given about reclaiming what would have evaporated across space or how to collapse it... Would it become infinitely dense automatically, like when space time loses meaning? Just replay the whole thing - would we be generating chaos in other dimensions?

Hopefully there are enough of 'em that we can leave a bad smell or two behind. Man, I hope so...

Anyway, I recognize the potential validity of non-chaotic theories, but find them to be in less evidence at the monet...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:05 pm
The underlying speculation of the story is that the big bang is cyclical to the extent that man creating god.

Newtonian physics and Euclidean geometry may not apply, your inferences to the conservation of energy may not apply.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:23 pm
I guess the valid generalizations will break down but how when and where? Cyclical models are pretty, but how can we infer the existence of a counter-phase? Create God and counteract chaos or reset the timer, but then that would just be looping the tape around - by virtue of doing it there would be the potential for something beyond where the phase shifted...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:38 pm
Not "looping the tape around" so much as creating the tape for the loop.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:40 pm
I'm callin' yer bluff. If there's change there's chaos. Either way there's the potential for external realities, the nature of which is indeterminable - the best term we've got, and the only thing we can say is happening or ever will happen is enthalpy.
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 04:43 am
When some thing happens, say an accident, three questions arise - what,
how and why.

You will get an answer to the first question within a
short period of time. It is physical in nature.

You have to spend more time to answer the second
question. It is mental in nature.

Different persons may give different answers for the
third question. But you will never get a true answer
for it - it is philosophical in nature.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:33 am
hanno wrote:
I'm callin' yer bluff. If there's change there's chaos. Either way there's the potential for external realities, the nature of which is indeterminable - the best term we've got, and the only thing we can say is happening or ever will happen is enthalpy.
What bluff?

I did not claim that change cannot be accompanied with some level of randomization (assuming that is what you mean by Chaos).
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:37 am
Hey chumly, saw your name, and I wondered if I could ask you an electrical question?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:40 am
OK
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:48 am
The other day I came home to a buzzing, impeller jammed, sump pump. It must of been jammed up for some time, because the pump body was hot, the cord warm, and the water that it was submerged in, was very warm. My question is: the pump is on an independent circuit, Shouldn't have the circuit breaker popped? How common are faulty breakers?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:00 am
Yep faulty breakers are not unknown, but not common (at least in modern systems).

The first things to ascertain would be to confirm the rating of the breaker, the size of the wire feeing the motor, the supplied voltage and the given current.

This assumes all systems are wired properly and are functioning properly - if not all bets are off!

Note: the motor should contain an OL which will trip if an overload condition is present.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:13 am
Newer house, heavier gauge romex. No OL on motor. It has to be the breaker, I'm thinking. Siemens brand. Thanks for your time chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:26 am
"Heavier gage romex" does not tell the whole story. You need to know the exact wire size for the entire feeder length.

The OL on motor would be internal, it does not mean there is not one.

The only accurate way to confirm if it's the beaker would be to do as I suggested.

Siemens is decent.

Again simply replacing the breaker without knowing all the details may not be the safe solution. In fact because you say everything is new the chances are low that the breaker is faulty.

Get a fully qualified electrician, get it all checked out properly if you do not have the tools and skills.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:30 pm
I thought wire is usually marked with all its specs. My wire is unmarked. That's not making me happy. By looking behind the breaker panel, I'm guessing it's at least twelve gauge, if not ten. The run is close, about twenty feet max. That darn pumps overload, should of popped, if it had one, because, like I stated before, the pump was hot to the touch.
Thanks for telling me to fix it myself, I hold you sole liable.(That is a pun)
Anyway, I'm going to replace the breaker, and go from there. Thank you chumly for taking the time. Have a good day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
As per NEMA / CSA etc house-wire must be not only be approved but be marked accordingly.

Again you'd best not replace the breaker until (at the very least) you know what wire size you are dealing with so as to confirm the breaker size.

Note: the ampacity of the motor and thus the feeder wire size should be specified on the sump-pump's nameplate.

Sump-pumps of the type you are likely dealing with are sealed units which get a lot of their cooling from the fluid flow itself so they will tend to overheat without the sump fluid flow.

Inspect you pump for running dry.
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:56 pm
So Why?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:57 pm
@mars90000000,
because I can
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:37 pm
@mars90000000,
Quote:
i need one good concrete answer...so ill ask again :wink:

WHY

Well, because cement powder is so fine - when you add water, and it dries out...it's a little like mud, in that binds together - but it's also a little like mortar, in that it's real strength is binding two close items together, so add in gravel and cement becomes concrete...............................................................
0 Replies