editing for passage meant for Year 3 students

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
Hi

Could someone please edit this passage meant for Year 3 students for me? Thank you very much.

I enjoy watching birds fly freely in the sky. They are not slowed down by traffic jam. That is one of the reasons why I wish I were a bird.

If I were a bird, I did not have to go to school. I did not have to do any homework. I did not have to study. I did not have to feel the stress because of school work. I also did not have to worry about examinations. However, I had to go in search of food because I could not buy it like the people can.

If I could not find any food, I would be hungry. Sometimes I saw food discarded by people and I would quickly eat it up before another bird came along. This is one of the disadvantages of being a bird.

I didn't have to pay to travel. People have to pay for the air tickets. Sometimes aeroplanes crash and many passengers die. If I were a bird, I did not have such a problem. However, aeroplanes can fly much faster than I do, and they don't feel tired. As for me, if I were a bird, I would become tired after flying for too long.

Although people have more things to enjoy, I do not even have a hobby. However, I would still rather be a bird than a person.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 01:39 pm
Re: editing for passage meant for Year 3 students
I enjoy watching birds fly freely in the sky. They are not slowed down by traffic jams. That is one of the reasons why I wish I were a bird.

If I were a bird, I would not have to go to school, do any homework or study. I would not have to feel stress because of school work. I also would not have to worry about examinations. However, I would have to go in search of food because I would not be able to buy it like people can.

If I could not find any food, I would be hungry. This is one of the disadvantages of being a bird. Sometimes I might see food discarded by people and I would quickly eat it before another bird came along.

I wouldn't have to pay to travel. People have to pay for air tickets. Sometimes aeroplanes crash and passengers die. If I were a bird, I would not have such a problem. However, aeroplanes can fly much faster than a bird, and they don't feel tired. If I were a bird, I would become tired after flying for too long.

Although people have more things to enjoy, I do not even have a hobby. However, I would still rather be a bird than a person.

Yoong Liat, I am quite tired after replacing all those "did"s with "would"s. Maybe you need to study verbs some more? The definite articles need work too.

Also, birds don't just eat things discarded by people. They eat fruit, berries, insects, etc.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:14 am
Thanks, Contrex, for editing the passage. Writng a passage about "I wish I were ... " is, in my opinion, one of the toughest topics. In fact, I was never taught how to write such a passage when I was at school. I believe many non-natives will have problems too. Correct me if I'm wrong in my belief.

Thanks once again.

Best wishes.
0 Replies