CLOVERFIELD

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 04:15 am
I'm just itching to see this film.I've been a "monster" film fan forever,and this sounds like it's gonna be better than Kong or Godzilla.It's on release in the US this week-end,but here are a few pre-release reviews.....

Click HERE to see why the director made it his way.
For Harry's review on aintitcool.com click HERE..WARNING.Harry's review is very colourful.If you're easily offended,avoid this.
For preview,bums on seats reviews click HERE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,411 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:03 am
i might actually have to go see this in a theater...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 03:55 pm
The reviews are generally good -- like you either love it or hate it. I think there appears to be some tongue-in-cheek satire and humor in the film like "Alligator" and "Piranha" (the classic line at the resort at the edge of the river in that film by the activities director to the manager, "Sir, the piranha are eating the guests!" Laughing

They never completely show the monster but it's little offspring sound like they are really wicked little creatures. If it's also genuinely scary, I want to see it. Beside, it will shock my friends and family that I'm not into only films of high artistic goals.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
Ok, it's playing now!!

I don't know yet if I like it, cause I haven't seen it. But it seems worthy of a "date night" .

And the reviews have been fun to read. I'm just glad I missed all the marketing that supposedly went into it. Hadn't heard of this movie until 2 days ago when reading a review in my paper.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 06:44 am
Just booked for Saturday 2nd at 6:40pm. Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
WOW! I have never seen a film like this! It's a dazzling experiment in film that pays off in spades.Shown from a first-person perspective on a very shaky camera,you always feel part of the action.The monster is a mean soab (and looks nothing like the picture I posted earlier) and his "little helpers" may not have his size but they make up for that in temperament.SFX are top notch,and the sound is the best I've heard in a long,long time (every speaker in the cinema,especially the subs,gets a very thorough workout).My neighbours hate me already and I just know that they're gonna lynch me when I get this on DVD!
I've heard talk of a follow-up,so stay seated until all the credits have rolled,listen carefully,and make your own mind up.And it isn't until the credits roll that you realise that there wasn't any film music,apart from the stuff played at the party and heard in the background etc.This film doesn't need it.The action and visuals are more than enough.
I'm going back for more.......much more!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:47 pm
I just got back from seeing it too. I liked it, and it does show the monster quite a few times.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:32 am
Lol! I went off and saw it by myself, because my friends all sneered at it...and me for going!

The reviews I read really panned it, but I am also a monster fan from way back, and I really enjoyed it. Kind of guiltily, but I did.

The li'l buggers really are a bit scary....
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:47 am
I am really a monster film fan too (I recently saw some of the old Harryhausen stop-motion flicks on YouTube and loved it) so I can't wait for this to reach the local cinema.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:43 am
This is the first monster film to be made this way and that's the twist.You either latch onto it or not.Most times,you don't see "all" the action on screen (that's where the cracking soundtrack takes over).If presented in the usual way,it would have been accused of being just another "Godzilla" movie.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:00 am
I'm tired of Americans making themselves out to be the targets of all sorts of evil from the rest of the universe. They always think the universe is out to get them, because of what they stand for blah blah blah fishcake.
It's rubbish.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:59 am
I liked the whole "Blair Witch Project" camera treatment. esp. when the Monster Parasites attack in an underground tunnel.

Great! Very Happy
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:35 pm
Went to see it Saturday night. Loved it, although I could feel my eyeballs drying out with all the shaky camera work they were having to follow!

Excellent big monster! Excellent little monsters! (Spider-like creatures always **** me up).

The person I was with thought I was a dick for liking it but I don't give a **** 'cos he ain't really got a clue about films. He he.

One question though, you know the girl who gets injured in the tunnel by one of the spider things? Margot I think she's called. What happened to her in the make-shift hospital? It wasn't clear. Did one burst out of her or something?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:43 pm
Nothing is clear in this film.That's what makes it so good.It looked like she exploded behind the screen! And seeing as the "little guys" come out of the "big guy",it's more than possible that she was "seeded",similar to Alien :wink:
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:52 am
Another possibility is that since the creatures came from the deep sea, they are full of stuff that helps them to resist the pressure. Most deep sea creatures swell up or explode when they are brought to the surface where the pressure is much lower. The creatures could have injected the girl with something that caused just that effect.
It is part of the fun, not having all the answers. It also fuels the online publicity for the film, as in this thread :wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:31 am
Ew!

Fabulous.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 10:14 am
I love monster movies, but I didn't like Cloverfield. I understand that the camera technique was unusual, and tried to give a new viewpoint to the story, but I didn't like it at all.

The quality of the film was bad (because it was supposed to represent a handycam), and it jumped around a lot (because it was supposed to represent a handycam) which I found extremely annoying.

But there was a deeper problem; one of the main things I like about monster movies is getting to know the monster. Where did it come from, why has it never been seen before, what does it look like, what was it, how do we stop it, why is it doing what it's doing, are there more of them, etc etc. None of this was explored in Cloverfield. Cloverfield wasn't about a monster, it was about people with a camera enduring a disaster. You could have replaced the monster with a tornado or a giant wave or an earthquake and the movie would have been just about the same.

Yes, I know there were mini-monsters in the subway, and that was a cool idea, but again, it wasn't explored because that wasn't what this movie was about.

For me, the only way they can redeem Cloverfield is to release Cloverfield2, as told from the army's point of view and interweave the first movie characters into it.

I guess it all depends on what you want to see when you go to a monster movie. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 01:21 pm
Yeah I get your point. I would've like to have had more monster info. too.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:48 am
I like films that make me wonder for more and keep me in dark.... just like my school homework... Razz
0 Replies

CoriCori

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
martybarker wrote:
I just got back from seeing it too. I liked it, and it does show the monster quite a few times.

Was it good or really good?
0 Replies