"Browse" ended up in My Documents

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:34 am
Yes, another stoopid question. Sorry.

I've been looking for work online. Found something promising on craigslist. Rather than clicking on the usual craigslist response, this entry told me to click on it's own URL (think that's what it's called.) There were fill-ins. I added my name, email address, and phone number.

There was a space for resume. Very small. Next to it was a button called Browse. I clicked on browse and ended up in my Word files. I found my resume and opened it. The file name appeared in the little box. This makes me very nervous. How did they do that? Is this safe? In all other cases I've sent the resume, not the file name.

This is promising work, and I'd like to apply for the job. I considered using the standard craigslist reply, but I don't want these people to think that I can't follow directions.

How did that browse button get into my word files?

Sigh. BTW, when you respond, please don't use technical terms. I won't understand. Sorry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 946 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 07:19 am
The browse button is a way for you to browse folders on your computer to choose a file to send to a website. 99% of Windows computer users store their documents in a folder called "My Documents", so it is a reasonable guess by the site owner that your resume might be somewhere under that folder. That does not sound sinister to me. If you click OK, the filename of the Word file you chose by highlighting with one click is given to your Internet browser and that file is uploaded to the website. Sounds like maybe you double clicked it. No matter. Still works the same way.

Previously you may have gone to other sites which hid that process from you by clever coding, but this one just used the plain Windows way of doing it.

Also, I am wondering, previously, how did you manage to choose the right document to send, if you did not indicate its filename in some way?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 03:40 pm
Thanks for responding, contrex. As long as there's nothing sinister about this, I'll send the resume.

In the past I selected the right file, and the document appeared, not the file name.

Ignorance is not always bliss.

Thanks again.
0 Replies