The BAFTA Awards

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:11 am
Due to the writers strike in the USofA,this could be the only time the stars come out to shine on a red carpet.

Click HERE to watch the press conference.

Click HERE for the full list of nominations.

The films I will be shouting for are The Lives Of Others,Brick Lane,The Bourne Ultimatum and Ratatouille.

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood open in the UK in the next 2 weeks.These may be added to my list in due course :wink: .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,267 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 12:53 pm
barry, I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet, but it looks great.

No Country for Old Men is spectacular - script, acting, direction, you name it. Not for the squeamish though.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:35 am
Thanks mac11,I've heard nothing but good things said about both films.Really looking forward to both.
But I'm kinda scratching my head here,wondering how BAFTA can nominate films that are only released a few days before the results are announced on Feb 10th. AFAIK,only BAFTA members are allowed to vote.Are they sent pre-release copies or invited to private screenings? Who knows?! Apart from The London Film Festival,the BAFTA's are a high-lite in my film watching year and I'll be glued to the telly when the results are broadcast from the Royal Opera House,Covent Garden (live,I hope) on BBC 1.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:44 am
I know for the Academy Awards, members are sent DVDs of films that aren't available to be viewed. I do think they have screenings of some categories - foreign and documentary films maybe?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 02:45 am
Have just booked to see No Country For Old Men tonight (Friday)at 9.15.Also booked a preview of Sweeney Todd on Sunday.Also getting to watch a preview of The Diving Bell And The Butterfly on Sunday the 27th.
So many films.so little time...... :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 02:35 pm
I think I would make it a point to see films nominated by BAFTA and especially the winners than what Hollywood doles out. Thanks for posting this, Barry.

"There Will Be Blood" is, of course, from an Upton Sinclair novel aptly titled "Oil!" but since I read that book in college, I wouldn't know how closely the writer and director follows the novel. I could find it in reviews, I'm sure.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:32 pm
I believe the phrase I heard about There Will Be Blood is that is is "loosely based" on the Sinclair novel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
Paul Thomas Anderson, the director, also wrote the screenplay and as the NY Times critic stated, the novel is a springboard for a cinematic treatment. Sinclair is basically unfilmable in my opinion and Anderson is one of our better screenwriters, authoring the screenplay for "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia."

BTW, the WGA has authorized the Screen Actor's Guild Awards so it will go on as planned with the actors showing up. I actually like that awards show better than the Globes or the Oscars.

As the Producers Guild and Directors Guild both cut deals with the studios including basically what the WGA had asked for, hopefully the writer's strike will end soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:53 pm
bookmarking

(Hey, barry, you must see a powerful number of films each week! I'm impressed!

And hello there, LightWizard. Good to see you here again! I've missed your input.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:14 am
Hey, I've been around -- check my profile! Very Happy

Being a workaholic I was putting in six days a week. Now I'm taking it easy for awhile, well, mainly for some back problems. I drank too much Pinot and I'm now on my back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:39 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Hey, I've been around -- check my profile! Very Happy

Being a workaholic I was putting in six days a week. Now I'm taking it easy for awhile, well, mainly for some back problems. I drank too much Pinot and I'm now on my back.

Well so you have, LW! Surprised

I have simply been on all the wrong threads!

Do continue to take things bit easier. Too much work (& pinot! :wink: ) means that one can't indulge in nearly as many films as one would like!
Take care, OK?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:29 am
Just a quick round up.......
No Country For Old Men-very good film with a really great baddie,but didn't get the ending.
Sweeney Todd-Amazing! Loved it to bits.
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly-An original story,VERY well told.

Can't see There Will Be Blood until after the results are known! Go figure ?????!!!!???
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 09:07 pm
For those not in the UK,especially the frock-watchers,you can watch Myleene Klass interview the stars on the red carpet HERE at 4pm UK time.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 08:28 pm
Full results HERE.
Spent most of the day celebrating Chinese New Year (kung hey fat choi) in Gerrard Street,London.It's the first time it's clashed with the BAFTA awards.Nipped across to Covent Garden to see if I could catch a few celebs but it was jam-packed,so headed home to watch it on pre-timed VHS,recorded from the BBC.
Apart from a sound problem during the first 30 minutes (massive delay in the front left channel) the BBC did another great outside broadcast job.

Best British Film-This Is England,was a surprise winner for me,but I should have expected it as Film 4 had a finger in the making :wink:
Rising Star-Shia Labeouf wasn't there to accept his award due to filming commitments Rolling Eyes ..Shouldn't that be re-hab :wink: .

Frock-Watch.....
Supporting Actress-Tilda Swinton...What was she wearing?A yellow log covered in fungus?
Screenplay-Diablo Cody...Leopard print frock AND Japanese tats? I think not.
Actress-Marion Cotillard...A silver candle with gossamer wing thingys Shocked

The other awards were mostly as expected but now I must see La Vien Rose to see what I missed out on.
Another surprise winner for me tonight was Best short -Dog Altogether...It was shown during the London Film Festival before Boy A,both staring Peter Mullan.
0 Replies