Adoption confidentiality: What should the policy be?

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:43 am
Decades ago, legal adoption records were forever sealed so that biological parents could not locate or interrupt the lives of adoptees and adoptive parents didn't have to worry about biological parents showing up and filing suit to claim their kids. Most of us have heard at least one horror story in which that happened.

Then there is the case in which children were never told they were adopted so that they would have no question that they belonged to their parents. But there can be trauma if the child stumbles across that information later in life or develops a medical condition for which he/she needs a family medical history.

And now we have the case in the UK where twins, separated and adopted at birth, met later in life and married, not realizing they were twins. (The law allowed the evidence of a twin to be expunged for each person's birth certificate to protect the confidentiality of the adoption.) STORY HERE

So what do you think? Should parents be required to tell the kids they are adopted? Should kids always know who their biological parents are?

Or is the sense of belonging and security a child feels believing his/her parents are his/her biological parents worth keeping the adoption secret?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,680 • Replies: 29
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
Re: Adoption confidentiality: What should the policy be?
Foxfyre wrote:
And now we have the case in the UK where twins, separated and adopted at birth, met later in life and married, not realizing they were twins. (The law allowed the evidence of a twin to be expunged for each person's birth certificate to protect the confidentiality of the adoption.) STORY HERE

Of course, the reported case is complete BS. Nobody's been able to find any record of it actually happening, other than the statement by the politician trying to get his legislation passed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Of course, the reported case is complete BS. Nobody's been able to find any record of it actually happening, other than the statement by the politician trying to get his legislation passed.

How do you know? It is being reported by numerous news sources--it was one of AOLs lead stories this morning--and so far no source seems to be questioning the validity of it.

But even without this wrinkle, do you support a requirement that children be told they are adopted, that the name of the biological parents, even a sperm donor from a sperm bank, being shown on the birth certificate, etc.? Or does the right to privacy and/or anonymity and the peace of mind of the child outweigh any risks in not knowing?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
I have adopted, and my child knows she's adopted, yet, her biological
parents have no knowledge of where she is, for very good reason. However,
should my child be interested in looking for her biological parents when
she's an adult, she will get all information that were made available to me.

I do feel it is wrong to leave children in the dark, and not tell them
that they're adopted (age appropriate of course). It should not be
made mandatory though, and be left at the discretion of each adoptive
parent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:06 am
Foxfyre wrote:
How do you know? It is being reported by numerous news sources--it was one of AOLs lead stories this morning--and so far no source seems to be questioning the validity of it.

Do some critical reading.

"British Twins separated at birth who later married" - I'm calling BS

Quote:
The details:

Twins, a brother and a sister, were adopted shortly after birth by different parents. They later accidentally married each other. They later found out and got a divorce.

David Alton, a member of the House of Lords (UK parliament), told a story as an argument that people who are adopted should be able to later find out who their parents are.

That's it. Alton doesn't name the people, he doesn't name the high court judge involved in their subsequent divorce, he doesn't give a timeframe when this happened. He's also a politician pushing a pet issue through a lawmaking body of government.

Politicians lie to get laws passed, folks. Yes shocking I know. This "news" story is complete crap.

Judging from the article CNN ran, the big media folks think so too. CNN's article pins all the details on the UK Press Association. The CNN article in it's distilled basic form is: "UK Press Association says stuff." The UK Press Association's information, distilled to basic form, is: "David Alton says stuff." Both articles are therefore factually correct, these things were said. It's a hedge used often by media companies use to get around taking blame later on for accidentally reporting unsubstantiated facts as news. You see it fairly often in gossip articles, quoting unnamed sources for juicy celebrity details.

I have yet to see any article about these supposed married twins that did any fact checking to see if there was any truth to this story. No one bothered. Why? Because it's sensational. Brother and Sister Hardcore Action. It's a top story on every major international news outlet today.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:08 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I have adopted, and my child knows she's adopted, yet, her biological
parents have no knowledge of where she is, for very good reason. However,
should my child be interested in looking for her biological parents when
she's an adult, she will get all information that were made available to me.

I do feel it is wrong to leave children in the dark, and not tell them
that they're adopted (age appropriate of course)

You probably have it right, though I have a friend who never felt like she belonged in her family as much as she thought her siblings belonged. She was adopted. They weren't. She says she thinks she would have been happier if she hadn't been told she was adopted.

And I have another friend who found out he was adopted as an adult and remembers how devasting that was and wishes he had been told earlier.

And then there is me who at times fantacized about maybe I was adopted and my parents weren't really my parents. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Do some critical reading.

"British Twins separated at birth who later married" - I'm calling BS

Quote:
The details:

Twins, a brother and a sister, were adopted shortly after birth by different parents. They later accidentally married each other. They later found out and got a divorce.

David Alton, a member of the House of Lords (UK parliament), told a story as an argument that people who are adopted should be able to later find out who their parents are.

That's it. Alton doesn't name the people, he doesn't name the high court judge involved in their subsequent divorce, he doesn't give a timeframe when this happened. He's also a politician pushing a pet issue through a lawmaking body of government.

Politicians lie to get laws passed, folks. Yes shocking I know. This "news" story is complete crap.

Judging from the article CNN ran, the big media folks think so too. CNN's article pins all the details on the UK Press Association. The CNN article in it's distilled basic form is: "UK Press Association says stuff." The UK Press Association's information, distilled to basic form, is: "David Alton says stuff." Both articles are therefore factually correct, these things were said. It's a hedge used often by media companies use to get around taking blame later on for accidentally reporting unsubstantiated facts as news. You see it fairly often in gossip articles, quoting unnamed sources for juicy celebrity details.

I have yet to see any article about these supposed married twins that did any fact checking to see if there was any truth to this story. No one bothered. Why? Because it's sensational. Brother and Sister Hardcore Action. It's a top story on every major international news outlet today.

I did and did so through sources such as AOL, AP, British publications, et al, including those who did check and the adoption agency would neither confirm nor deny the story. The general slant is that the story is true along with mentions of similar incidents in which other siblings did not know they were related and were attracted to each other. These I think might be more credible than some blogger posting on FARK.

But whether this particular story is true or not, the issue of adoption privacy and rights is not in the least diminished.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:18 am
Foxyfire, mine is an only child, so she has no comparison.
As a parent you always try your best, and put your child's best interest
at heart first, so these parents who haven't told their children that they
are adopted, did mean well, thought it might be less of a friction to the
child while growing up and who knows, how it would have turned out
if they knew.

In retrospect, we can criticize and question everything, can't we?

I also have a friend who was adopted (the oldest of three) and she
knew about it early on. As an adult she never had the urge to look for her
biological parents, and never did.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The general slant is that the story is true along with mentions of similar incidents in which other siblings did not know they were related and were attracted to each other. These I think might be more credible than some blogger posting on FARK.

As usual, you will believe the craziest voice of authority rather than using your brain.

Foxfyre wrote:
But whether this particular story is true or not, the issue of adoption privacy and rights is not in the least diminished.

Agreed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Foxyfire, mine is an only child, so she has no comparison.
As a parent you always try your best, and put your child's best interest
at heart first, so these parents who haven't told their children that they
are adopted, did mean well, thought it might be less of a friction to the
child while growing up and who knows, how it would have turned out
if they knew.

In retrospect, we can criticize and question everything, can't we?

I also have a friend who was adopted (the oldest of three) and she
knew about it early on. As an adult she never had the urge to look for her
biological parents, and never did.

I wonder if your friend is the norm? I honestly don't know. Both of my friends previously mentioned say they thought about it a lot, often searched faces looking for any evidence of their biological family, wondering who they were, what they were like. I don't know if my lady friend ever actively searched for her biological parents. My male friend did, but without success and presumed they had died.

But yes, most of us do the best we can as parents and I think I would not love an adopted child any differently than I love my biological children. (In fact we were ready to adopt a child in a troubled home at one time, but the mother changed her mind at the last minute and left the state.)

My hat is off to all you good parents who provide loving homes for children.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:32 am
In Oregon, where I live there is no such thing as a "closed" adoption - the records are available to any adult who seeks their own record.

It caused quite a stir when the law was passed; mostly among people who had surrendered children and didn't want to be found.

Our laws don't adress sperm donation and the like though because, really, that isn't adoption.

I don't see a problem with providing a medical history from a "genetic parent" (for lack of a better description) while maintaining the persons privacy. Sibling privacy might be a bit more complicated.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:49 am
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
The general slant is that the story is true along with mentions of similar incidents in which other siblings did not know they were related and were attracted to each other. These I think might be more credible than some blogger posting on FARK.

As usual, you will believe the craziest voice of authority rather than using your brain.

I don't think accepting some bloggers opinion that the story is false is using my brain, nor do I think drawing any firm conclusions without having all the facts is necessary or intelligent, which is why none of the sources I mentioned do that. But knock yourself out.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:59 am
boomerang wrote:
In Oregon, where I live there is no such thing as a "closed" adoption - the records are available to any adult who seeks their own record.

It caused quite a stir when the law was passed; mostly among people who had surrendered children and didn't want to be found.

Our laws don't adress sperm donation and the like though because, really, that isn't adoption.

I don't see a problem with providing a medical history from a "genetic parent" (for lack of a better description) while maintaining the persons privacy. Sibling privacy might be a bit more complicated.

I do see a really critical need for a child to have access to their biological family medical history. And theoretically people should live their lives in a way that anonymity should not be necessary.

Practically, however, none of us are perfect. The young woman who finds herself pregnant, abhors abortion and chooses to give her child life, but who knows she cannot adequately provide for that child, demonstrates tremendous love and sacrifice and provides a great gift for both the child and adoptive parents by giving up the child to a loving home. Must she forever tell others about that part of her life to avoid possible future awkwardness?

Must the adoptive parents endure the ever present concern that she might decide to reclaim the child in court or otherwise make difficulties for the child and/or adoptive family? (Maybe that possibility has been definitively eliminated in Oregon, but it hasn't in most states.)

These are the things I think must be considered with all the pros and cons weighed when policies are established.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:15 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't think accepting some bloggers opinion that the story is false is using my brain, nor do I think drawing any firm conclusions without having all the facts is necessary or intelligent, which is why none of the sources I mentioned do that. But knock yourself out.

That "some blogger" is Drew Curtis... He's written a book about how the media manipulates stories in this way.

PM me if there's ever any evidence that Lord Alton didn't just fabricate the whole story.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:55 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That "some blogger" is Drew Curtis... He's written a book about how the media manipulates stories in this way.

PM me if there's ever any evidence that Lord Alton didn't just fabricate the whole story.

I have no knowledge as to whether Lord Alton did or did not fabricate the whole story. The media accounts I have read, however, are based on a verifiable legislative debate in which the incident was mentioned by Lord Alton and the court agency he cited has been asked but has declined to deny or verify the account. Being a former member of the press myself, I have a pretty good eye for media manipulation, and I have not seen much of that in the reporting of Lord Anton's illustration, and all have cited the incident as being according to him rather than anything they have verified. That is responsible.

You might argue that those reporters who went on to seek out others for comments were sensationalizing the story, but I also have not seen that this was excessive or inappropriate as a news story. The subject is of interest to quite a few people and the implications in it are interesting.

Drew Curtis may have written a book, but unless he is a psychic or has sources none of the other media groups are privy to, he has no way of knowing whether Lord Anton made up the story or not. It would seem, therefore, that the only one sensationalizing this without checking their facts is him.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:31 pm
The media is enjoying the titillation fest, because it sells advertising. Enjoy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 04:47 pm
There is no perfect solution, and no ideal law, I believe. There will always be people who feel that whatever is done does not suit them, and I think pain for people whose biological parents were not able to care for them is inevitable, to greater or lesser extents, as is pain for relinquishing parents.

That being said, I believe that lying to kids about where they come from is indefensible.

The trend is certainly to make adoptions more and more open, and I think this suits most people, but it won't suit all.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 05:39 pm
Ideally, each party involved can submit personal information (and contact details if they wish) to a central agency which can then be accessed by the rest of the parties. That way, the info is there voluntarily. If bio mom doesn't wish any contact, she still has the option to provide medical and other history for the child to access, but she can retain her privacy. Child will then have to be satisifed with that. And if child doesn't want to know bio mom, she doesn't have to contact her.

I am against retroactive opening of previously closed files in any other format because the agreement all parties (both sets of parents) agreed to would now be breached. That could have devastating consequences (ie birth mom's present husband and children may not be aware of adopted-out child).

As to whether or when to tell adopted child, that's entirely up to the family. As someone said, you can be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Only the people involved should be involved.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
Mame wrote:
Ideally, each party involved can submit personal information (and contact details if they wish) to a central agency which can then be accessed by the rest of the parties. That way, the info is there voluntarily. If bio mom doesn't wish any contact, she still has the option to provide medical and other history for the child to access, but she can retain her privacy. Child will then have to be satisifed with that. And if child doesn't want to know bio mom, she doesn't have to contact her.

I am against retroactive opening of previously closed files in any other format because the agreement all parties (both sets of parents) agreed to would now be breached. That could have devastating consequences (ie birth mom's present husband and children may not be aware of adopted-out child).

As to whether or when to tell adopted child, that's entirely up to the family. As someone said, you can be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Only the people involved should be involved.

Just my opinion.

I like the idea of exchanging critical/important information through the adoption agency without being required to exchange names, addresses, etc. That seems most reasonable.

I like the idea of a woman feeling free to give her baby life with no worries of a lifetime of looking over her shoulder or wondering every time the phone rings or there is a knock on the door. Ditto for the adoptive parents. And possibly in some cases, ditto for the child.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:58 pm
My son was five when our adoption was final -- he had lived with us for three years by that time. (In fact - today marks the five year anniversary that he has lived with us -- YEAH! Five years now, where does time go?)

Anyway. Keeping secrets was a non issue with us. He knows and sees many members of his other family on a regularish basis. That was really scary for a while and I imagine that it might be really scary in the future. However, they really respect that I am my husband are his parents. They don't interfere with the decisions we make so everything is okay.
They know -- WE are his parents.

I think the mystery of "who and if and why" is what troubles so many kids in the adoption world. Who and if and why aren't secrets around here. If he has a question we pick up the phone but mostly we already know the answers. Sometimes it's creepy and yucky and awful but mostly its a good thing. I'm a grown up and I can handle a bit of yuck in his interest.

Your question has as many answers as there are adoptees. There will never be a law that fits every situation. Establishing a clearinghouse of information is really the only thing that will work.
0 Replies