Gymnastics Board getting dirty

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:40 am
At a very heated meeting, where I felt personally attacked I stormed out saying "I am done with this" Two people who are not board members called this a resignation and wanted it to stand. Our board can not find its bylaws and therefore decided that because they had no guidelines (did not want to follow the rules indicated in provincial governing body nor ddi they want to follow the rules indicated in Robert's Rules of Order) that they could do what they wanted and accept this as a resignation. I want to know if I have any legal standing to take this further. Keep in mind that we live in Manitoba Canada.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:40 am
They can't find their bylaws???! Okay, how stupid is that? And they decided that they could do whatever they felt?? Oh, yes, geniuses.

Don't you have a copy of them as a member of the board?

Send a letter of appeal to the provincial governing body and inform the (can't find the rules) local board that, pending a decision from the Provincial Board, you intend to keep your position on the board. Obtain a copy of the minutes of the meeting where you left (bad on you) and any meeting where the supposed resignation was discussed especially the one where they decided the "we can do what we want" thing. So funny.

Anyway, why do you want to be associated with these people? Isn't there another sport where nutballs aren't in charge?

Joe(seriously. Why?)Nation
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
Resignations are usually given in writing, accepted by the board with a motion and vote, and the fact is put into the minutes . . . .

So the questions is : HOW did they decide it was a "resignation"?

If they said, "well, I guesss Mary resigned. Lets appoint or elect someone else" - that would be a kind of "acceptance" of the resignation, because they acted upon your verbal outburst. But if they have not "accepted" your outburst as a resignation, then it is not official.

If you really want your postion back, call someone (i.e. President ASAP) and say that you just had a melt-down, it was not meant to be a resignation, and will dispute any attempt to make it a resignation.

Next time, just say "I have to leave this meeting and get some fresh air.'

Laughing
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 09:10 pm
PS - what do you mean that no one can find the bylaws??!!!

The secretary should have a binder that contains ALL important documents, non-profit designation papers, bylaws, standing rules, minutes of the meetings, copies of financial reports, etc., etc..

This is passed from one sec. to another for safekeeping.

It is the legal record and paperwork of the corporation!!
0 Replies

LeilaJoy

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
It is just that, the bylaws have not been passed for safe keeping to me or anyone else. and we live in a very small town it is the only game in town if you want your child to be involved in gymnastics. It is really sad that people refuses to educate themselves.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
Bylaws are the governing documents for a group. Try to find them. They MAY be in the old minutes, if you can find those.

Is your group a charitable, non-profit corporation? (Can it accept donations and give the donor a tax write-off?)
0 Replies