Anyone else ever been picked on in school?

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 03:07 am
Funny thing is, when I finally found the guts to stand up to them, they walked away, but I do have this way of looking like I'm psycho when I'm enraged, so that may have helped.

I like my psycho look Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 03:17 am
Time to get my psycho sleep :-D

Nighty night all and thank you for sharing your stories with me/us.

This was good for me and I appreciate you all :-D

((((((((((((Every one of you))))))))))))
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:14 am
BBB
Butrflynet came home from school one day in tears because the kids were calling her a communist because I supported the Port Chicago 7.
---BBB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF AN ERA
Part of Concord Naval Weapons Station closing
By Ryan Huff
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
11/14/2005

Concord to jump into planning as soon as Navy gives go-aheadFeb 8:
Weapons station ready for next step, Navy saysDec 26:
City calms down after furor over Navy baseDec 13:
City agrees to delay meeting over Naval Weapons StationDec 10:
Base deal to hinge on Concord: Navy wants city's blessing on proposal to trade weapons stationMay 4:
Weapons station's future begins with debate

CONCORD - Just months after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the United States found itself without a West Coast munitions depot large enough to fight World War II in the Pacific.

Mare Island Naval Shipyard didn't have enough room to expand in Vallejo, so the military pursued a deepwater port along the Suisun Bay. In 1942, the Navy quickly built loading docks needed to ship bullets, mortars and other ammunition off to war.

The Concord Naval Weapons Station was born and over the next 60 years would prove to be a critical terminal to take weapons off rail cars from around America and get them to battlefields in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Those operations will continue, even after Congress last week approved the closure of more than 5,000 acres of the base's inland portion. Concord officials envision building 13,000 homes and adding 13,000 jobs on this land in the next five decades.

Meanwhile, the Army will take over the waterfront area and the 7,600 acres that make up the base's tidal region.

But gone will be the miles of inland railroad tracks and scores of ammunition magazines that symbolized the naval base since World War II.

"The base played an instrumental role in getting munitions out to soldiers and sailors during World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam and right up the (1991 Persian) Gulf War," said Dean McLeod, a Bay Point historian who has extensively researched the station.

Ray Emig, a World War II combat infantryman who worked at the station,
recalled Concord's importance to winning the war.

"This was the most critical location of any during the Japanese war," said Emig, a Pleasant Hill resident. "It's unfortunate it has to close, but I can understand why it had to be done." Yet the base had roots long before the wars it supported. In 1927, the Navy envisioned the area later known as Port Chicago as a place to put a munitions depot, McLeod said.

By 1944, activity on the base was booming. But the era also produced the darkest moment in the station's history.

While sailors loaded weapons at Port Chicago on July 17, 1944, two explosions ripped through the ships E.A. Bryant and Quinault Victory, killing 320 men and injuring 390. The bursts broke windows at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco, some 30 miles away.

The explosion marked the largest homefront tragedy of World War II and the biggest disaster in Contra Costa County history. Officials never determined the exact cause.

About two-thirds of those who died were black. When 50 black sailors later refused to return to work to protest work conditions they called unsafe and unjust, they were convicted of mutiny.

The convictions fueled political pressure on President Truman to desegregate the military.

"I call it the silver lining of the explosion," said historian John Keibel. "The explosion itself was a catastrophe -- but the silver lining was the treatment for minority populations was improved as a result." The Navy also wanted to ensure safety for the citizens of Port Chicago should another explosion occur. In 1952, the military made the first of nine attempts to dismantle the town of 3,000 to enlarge its blast zone.

These efforts united the tight-knit town against the Navy takeover. For more than a decade, the area's veteran congressman, John Baldwin, fought military officials, saying the only way they would get Port Chicago was "over my dead body." He died in 1966. Two years later, the Navy started ripping apart the community.

"Towns seldom disappear, but it did in Port Chicago," said Keibel, a Concord resident who is writing a book about the base's history.

"At that time people were opposed to the (Vietnam) war, and they left kicking and screaming. It left scars that they are still smarting over." During that period, Jerry Wood spent 67 consecutive days loading ships with ammunition in 1965, as the 3,000 people working on the base supported its critical role in getting weapons to Vietnam.

Wood, a 30-year base employee from Antioch, remembers dock workers loading ships 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"At times we had 500 to 600 railcars on the station full of ammunition," he said. "We'd just try to get it on the next ship. It would come in, we'd load it, top the ship off, send it down the river and then ship it off to the Philippines or some other overseas port." The 1980s marked a time of increased anti-war protests around the base. Perhaps the most infamous protest incident happened on Sept. 1, 1987, when Vietnam veteran Brian Willson was run over by a munitions train.

Willson lost both his legs and turned into a national symbol for the peace movement. The protesting continued when the Department of Energy announced that starting in 1998 ships would offload spent nuclear fuel rods at Concord before trains took them to an Idaho repository.

But by that point, most people had begun writing the base's obituary. During the 1990s, the station's civilian work force dwindled from 1,087 to a couple of hundred.

That was followed by the Navy's decision to mothball the station's inland area in 1999. Today, tule elk and cows roam around what was once a thriving ammunitions depot.

Its permanent closure leaves some old Navy workers like Harold Baltazor appreciating its important role in military history.

"I hate to see the Navy give up this property," said Baltazor, a former station planning director.

"I foresee a need for it in the future. It's like an insurance property: hopefully you don't need it, but the possibility is always there. There's no other place like this."
----------------------------------------------

Ryan Huff covers Concord and Clayton. Reach him at 925-977-8471 or [email protected].
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 02:48 pm
Montana, Thanks for starting this thread. It's been the source of lots of thinking for me. Remembering how it felt to feel the rage and act on it in a physical way. I don't remember whether I was ever hurt in any of the fights I was in. I don't think I cared. All I remember is the sense of release.

While you learned to stand up for yourself and found satisfaction there, I never learned to find an outlet for the rage. Once I stopped fighting, it just stayed bottled up inside of me. Never thought to find a physical outlet for it.

I need to think about this some more. Or maybe I should go out and beat the **** out of somebody.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 03:15 pm
Montana wrote:
Funny thing is, when I finally found the guts to stand up to them, they walked away, but I do have this way of looking like I'm psycho when I'm enraged, so that may have helped.

bullies are like balloons... give 'em one good pop and they disappear...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:52 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Butrflynet came home from school one day in tears because the kids were calling her a communist because I supported the Port Chicago 7.
---BBB

It was after you and I went to a rally at Diablo Valley College that featured Angela Davis. I was handing out some of the leaflets from there in school.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:05 pm
There are many diffrent ways to be picked on in school .

I had a teacher once who used to call me Mixie.
My first grade teacher at that.

It wasnt until a few years ago that I realized what she was talking about Confused
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:34 pm
Here's a word of advice to anyone who wants to become a good schoolyard fighter:
Be the only public school boy to join the Seventh Grade Class at the your local Catholic Junior High.

Also, be a little shorter than most of the boys.

I learned to watch for them circling. In later years, one of the guys told me that they were always impressed at how quickly I would sense them getting ready to jump me.

Several months of this on a daily basis can be wearing.

The turning point came in two stages: one, I kicked the biggest one -Chad- in the balls and was told that that was dirty fighting. Yes, I said, and if there is a next time I intend to kick even harder, maybe bite someone's ear off. (I must have been smiling strangely because they left me alone from that moment on.)

But they tried verbal harassment, we called it ranking back then, it was mostly insults about how you looked. I have always had a sarcastic streak so I excelled at making comebacks and when I compared Tommy Gorden's jacket to the drapes in Sister Gilmary's office, there was a stunned silence as everyone realized that they DID look like they could be the drapes in Sister Gilmary's office.

They all shook my hand and there was peace in the land after that.

Joe(they didn't like me, but they didn't screw with me either.)Nation
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:25 pm
I was never bullied at school... until I was sent to a boarding school in the US "to learn English".
My parents had not a clue of what later was called "emotional intelligence". After I finished Jr. High. the principal of my school in Mexico told them I was too young to enter High School, and I could use a year learning other stuff... their "solution" was to send me to a boarder High School in a working class neighborhood in St. Louis, full of problem kids.
I was the youngest, I was among the shorter ones. And Mexican.

The experience did help me, though.
First, I developed clownish skills. If they laughed, they wouldn't tease me so much.
Then, I chose who to fight.
First, I fought Hutchins, my roommate, who had stolen my allowance. When he arrived back to school I didn't ask, or argue: just punched him right in the face until he fell down, and then kicked him when he was down, until somebody grabbed me and held me back.
Then I beat "Tex", who everybody hated. A group was quarreling over which tv program to watch. Some of us wanted to watch American Bandstand, Tex and others wanted a "Peplum" (an action film set in Ancient Rome). Then Tex said the "N" word, plus the "S" word. I asked him to repeat those words, -he did. Then I pushed him, and he fell on his back, with such luck that his arm broke in 3 pieces, and he had to wear a cast for over 2 months.
Suddenly, I became popular, and nobody picked on me again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:27 am
fbaezer wrote:
I was never bullied at school... until I was sent to a boarding school in the US "to learn English".
My parents had not a clue of what later was called "emotional intelligence". After I finished Jr. High. the principal of my school in Mexico told them I was too young to enter High School, and I could use a year learning other stuff... their "solution" was to send me to a boarder High School in a working class neighborhood in St. Louis, full of problem kids.

First, I developed clownish skills. If they laughed, they wouldn't tease me so much.
First, I fought Hutchins, my roommate, who had stolen my allowance. When he arrived back to school I didn't ask, or argue: just punched him right in the face until he fell down, and then kicked him when he was down, until somebody grabbed me and held me back.
Then I beat "Tex", who everybody hated. A group was quarreling over which tv program to watch. Some of us wanted to watch American Bandstand, Tex and others wanted a "Peplum" (an action film set in Ancient Rome). Then Tex said the "N" word, plus the "S" word. I asked him to repeat those words, -he did. Then I pushed him, and he fell on his back, with such luck that his arm broke in 3 pieces, and he had to wear a cast for over 2 months.

Being a kid sucks.

WHY?????????????

I know it's more primitive, in general, but kids can be devastatingly sensitive and empathic (I lived my kid life as though I was missing several layers of skin, and was in direct contact with all the pain in the world...didn't mean I couldn't be mean sometimes, though).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
Roberta wrote:
Montana, Thanks for starting this thread. It's been the source of lots of thinking for me. Remembering how it felt to feel the rage and act on it in a physical way. I don't remember whether I was ever hurt in any of the fights I was in. I don't think I cared. All I remember is the sense of release.

While you learned to stand up for yourself and found satisfaction there, I never learned to find an outlet for the rage. Once I stopped fighting, it just stayed bottled up inside of me. Never thought to find a physical outlet for it.

I need to think about this some more. Or maybe I should go out and beat the **** out of somebody.

I hope I didn't open up any old wounds for you Roberta. Even though I eventually stood up for myself and am extatic that I did, the damage was already done and it something that comes back to haunt me a little every now and again, but venting here did me a lot of good.

((((((((((Roberta)))))))))
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Montana wrote:

bullies are like balloons... give 'em one good pop and they disappear...

Yup ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
There are many diffrent ways to be picked on in school .

I had a teacher once who used to call me Mixie.
My first grade teacher at that.

It wasnt until a few years ago that I realized what she was talking about Confused

What a bitch that bitch was!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:10 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Here's a word of advice to anyone who wants to become a good schoolyard fighter:
Be the only public school boy to join the Seventh Grade Class at the your local Catholic Junior High.

Also, be a little shorter than most of the boys.

I learned to watch for them circling. In later years, one of the guys told me that they were always impressed at how quickly I would sense them getting ready to jump me.

Several months of this on a daily basis can be wearing.

The turning point came in two stages: one, I kicked the biggest one -Chad- in the balls and was told that that was dirty fighting. Yes, I said, and if there is a next time I intend to kick even harder, maybe bite someone's ear off. (I must have been smiling strangely because they left me alone from that moment on.)

But they tried verbal harassment, we called it ranking back then, it was mostly insults about how you looked. I have always had a sarcastic streak so I excelled at making comebacks and when I compared Tommy Gorden's jacket to the drapes in Sister Gilmary's office, there was a stunned silence as everyone realized that they DID look like they could be the drapes in Sister Gilmary's office.

They all shook my hand and there was peace in the land after that.

Joe(they didn't like me, but they didn't screw with me either.)Nation

Joe, you make me so proud :-D

Ahhhhh the smile :-D I have the smile too. The psycho smile Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:14 pm
fbaezer wrote:

You showed them ;-)
0 Replies

dixieland10

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:11 pm
i was picked on quite a bit in elementary school and 6th and 7th grade in middle school for my hair being short, haha, i kinda had a fro thing goin on cuz my hair is really curly but they made fun of me also cuz i was a tomboy(im a female). when i got to high school i got picked on for my hair. i started to grow it out and then i got more confidence and nobody really picked on me anymore cuz they thought my curly long hair was hot, but i still got VERY defensive when my friends tried to joke with me. they got mad at me often cuz i would argue with them about it. i just decided one day to stop myself from acting that way. you have to practice at it and think about it before you go gettin all reved up. its hard at first, but now i'm layed back and i laugh when someone cracks on me. its also good to just joke right along with them. make jokes about yourself with them.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
That's true Dixie- this reminds me of what just happened last week in my class (I'm the teacher). There's this guy I'll call Philip who is really different from the rest of the young adults in the class- but he's smart and keeps his head down, works hard and pretty much just ignores most of the sh*t anyone says.

Well, this new girl came in last week - and she was something else. She first tried to intimidate me - she was bigger than me, louder than me, etc..and just started busting on me. I took her straight outside and said, "You know, this isn't gonna work out this way- I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and a by on this one and we'll go back in and start all over..." So then she goes in and starts in on Philip- the most likely target for a bully. I told her, "You don't say another word to or about him or there'll be consequences."
Well she did- and he went off- and my supervisor had to come in to try to calm him down and he told him to "F off". Well the other students saw this and they were kind of impressed- they said, "Damn, Phil's a gangsta! He aint afraid of no one."
I was a little worried my supervisor would get mad at Philip (in terms of his ego being wounded) but I explained the situation and he let it go.

So the next day, I took Jasmine aside and said, "Don't you even start girlfriend." She says loudly so everyone can hear, and I'm quoting, "Yeah well just because you like your little teacher's pet riding all up your butt like a thong- doesn't mean I have to like him like that..."

The class was stunned- absolutely silent. And I couldn't help it- I started laughing- I said, "Okay, guys - now THAT's a simile," (we'd been talking about metaphors and similes). I said, "Congratulations Jasmine, you get the award for most creatively descriptive simile." She smiled, Philip started laughing. And then he told Jasmine that at prayer meeting the night before at his church- he'd lifted her up for prayer. He said, "It says in the Bible, pray for those who persecute you..., and I put your name out there Jasmine."

I waited to see what she would say, "And she said, that's kind of nice, I think....yeah, okay...I like that Phil."

Now they're best friends...a little humor goes a long way.

But as the teacher, it's hard to know when to intervene and when to let it go - you don't want to make the kid an even bigger target by being on his side to obviously. But I never, ever let it go very far. I hate bullies and I tell the kids from day one - this class will be a safe and pleasant place for EVERYONE and if you can't participate in that - you can move your desk out in the hallway until you can. I WON"T tolerate bullies.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:51 pm
Dixieland, I'm glad it all worked out in the end :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:52 pm
Aidan, I would have given my right arm for a teacher like you. Way to go :-D
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:34 am
Thanks Montana- it's really fun most days. Actually, I'm always amazed at how kind, in general, these kids are to each other - I think it's because all of them have experienced this crap where they came from (all of them either quit or were kicked out of public school for one reason or another, they either quit or were kicked out of their families, they either quit or were kicked out of pretty much everything) and they just don't indulge themselves in that way- so I only have to intervene like that on occasion.

I try to make it an atmosphere where to be mean just isn't cool- when they're mean to anyone-THEY stand out as being the different one.

But I know it still goes on...I was in Subway the other day and I got into a conversation with the two sixteen year old girls who were working there and they were telling me that they both quit school because of bullying. One was being homeschooled and the other one had to go to another school in another town. I asked her how that was working out and she said, "Good- it's amazing the teachers and students don't gossip about each other over there - that's what drove me out of my other school."
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:28:18